Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Water and fruit
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-12-2018 at 03:59 PM

Maybe I should have said into "Baja" and not into "Mexico" (Rocky Point being in Sonora)! :light::biggrin:

Seriously, has ANYONE had food confiscated (for personal use) going INTO BAJA from California the past year or two?

There was the Mad Cow (and dry Dog Food) issues a few years ago.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2018 at 04:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
The Goat's info was relevant ....some of the Nomads are short of patience with newbies (which we all were here at some time) when common sense questions surface....or ones that can be sorted out with a bit of Googling or on the first day of your travels.

Some Nomads are wary of possible trolls looking to set up conflict on this forum....and then playing victim...

Hope you get fresh water and veggies/fruit on your trip.

My 17 posts vs 10K of MrGoat, I should have looked there first rather than replying. Now I know what type he is. Politics, religion, sex I get the trolling satisfaction and excitement but trolling know it all baja RV'ers in the desert can't be much fun. Goat is the type that likes reverse trolling....." this idiot thinks there is no water in Mexico.... let me own him with my wit". If these power posters need the daily assurance of their baja knowledge why not just answer the hard questions and just leave the temptation of the newbies to others. I did get some informative replies, now I know about purificados , I did not know about them before. Who knows maybe he's just a perfect guy in person but with a platform and a keyboard and some free time he wants to go all Lucha Libre. There's a guy with an orange face that is sort of the same type. Thinks he's a genius.

So thank you to the people taking the time to post a tip and a story. if this trip happens I hope to be on the other side for once and post an answer or two.

To the nomad board owner, it would be nice to have an option to thank posters and keep that as a running tally along with the number of posts total. A car forum I post to has this feature - a virtual high five for someone that gave out a good answer.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-12-2018 at 05:17 PM

WW,
An interesting nom de plume....one sees it defined as:

"White Whale:
Term used to describe an opponent/nemesis who is extremely difficult to defeat."

Your focus on Goat may appear to fit that....

Or is simply a cetaceous reference....

Stick around for a while before you start telling the forum moderator how to run his site....:light:

Don't believe everything you think....
white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2018 at 05:52 PM

"White Whale:
Term used to describe an opponent/nemesis who is extremely difficult to defeat."

You are thinking too much..... Seinfeld reference. Was a TV show a few years back, really funny. Newman was evading the parking ticket cop and was finally uncovered as the White Whale because he was sort of overweight.
Kramer was his lawyer in court. Sentence was he had to park in a pay parking garage. Classic.

Again with the knowledge, i did not know there was another meaning to white whale. Google, what the heck doesn't he know?

Loops, please direct your your site comment to this guy too: ticks me off.

BajaNomad Site Support
Please use this forum if you need help or assistance with the site. Also, if you have any site comments, suggestions, or other issues - this is the place to post.

Some other rube who want to run this site better than the owner. Site suggestions.... who does this guy think he is?

Have a nice day!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-12-2018 at 06:36 PM

call me ishmael...

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2018 at 09:35 PM

Rather than having to scout out local water purification places on your travels, the OXO convenience stores that are attached to almost every Pemex station (at least on the mainland, not sure about Baja) sell drinking water. If you want the 5 gallon size, you'll pay a deposit on the first jug, but after that, you can just trade the empty for a full one.
They come from the big bottling plants owned by Pepsi, CocaCola, etc, but I actually trust it more- I figure those big plants have some health inspections once in awhile, while the local ones don't. you'll pay more, but you're only talking about a buck difference for 5 gallons.

As far as fruit, it always amazes me that Americans and Canadians don't realize that of course Mexico has growing seasons. They think mango trees just produce fruit constantly all year long? And duh, Mexico has seasons.
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2018 at 12:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Seriously, has ANYONE had food confiscated (for personal use) going INTO BAJA from California the past year or two? There was the Mad Cow (and dry Dog Food)issues a few years ago

Saturday past, crossing in via Tecate, they went inside our camper, searched the refrigerator and made us throw away selected fruits and veggies. They showed us the list of prohibited items on their phone screen. But, they let us keep our steaks and oranges.

OP: There are lots of places to buy fruits and water in Baja. Just go and enjoy!

20180112_231158_50.jpg - 170kB

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2018 at 10:15 AM

Thanks, Don Jorge... I made 8 trips into Baja last year and not once was anything taken from me... and that goes on to include over 50 years before. Things are changing. Do they actually think produce sold in America has bugs in it? If you could name what were (some of) the items forbidden, that would be helpful.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tobias
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2018 at 10:18 AM

Thanks, Don Jorge... I made 8 trips into Baja last year and not once was anything taken from me... and that goes on to include over 50 years before. Things are changing. Do they actually think produce sold in America has bugs in it? If you could name what were (some of) the items forbidden, that would be helpful.

My understanding is that if your camper is 3/4 ton or over and you have a trump sticker, 32 percent of all perishable goods will be confiscated.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-13-2018 at 10:27 AM

.....Do they actually think produce sold in America has bugs in it? ...

Do you really think US produce is impervious to bugs? While your guy is busy MAGA....the occasional bug infestations may not have gotten the tweets....perhaps Mexican border agents are better at enforcing such safeguards...trying to keep bad stuff from s-hole countries from their own....:biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2018 at 10:53 AM

LOL funny!
As for bugs... they can fly across the border.
I think the bugs that cause severe crop damage (like fruit flies) come from the tropics (ie south). Wasn't it interesting that the one fruit that can carry fruit fly eggs (oranges) was allowed into Mexico?
Don Jorge is the expert on produce growing, so I hope to hear more on all this new regulation from him.

Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2018 at 11:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tobias  

My understanding is that if your camper is 3/4 ton or over and you have a trump sticker, 32 percent of all perishable goods will be confiscated.

Perhaps? We cross every other weekend Jan - April going to Guadalupe.
Using our car to travel never any inspection. Driving the F350 with camper, stopped every time. We use Tecate with the camper rig to avoid the time delay for the x ray inspection at Tijuana.

Stickers? A few.
1.jpg - 152kB

Blame? :bounce:

2.jpg - 206kB

They took papayas from Peru, cucumbers and peppers from Mexico and onions from CA. Ni modo, me vale madre jiji.

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2018 at 11:15 AM

White Whale
Your question is too vague. Baja is a big place and near the large cities you will have no problem finding the supplies you need at some very large and well stocked grocery stores. In the more rural areas of Baja you will find small mom and pop type stores that are minimally stocked but will have the essentials such as water, beans, rice and lots of canned goods. you will not have a problem unless you spend most of your time on a remote beach somewhere. Enjoy your trip and welcome to Nomads.
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 1-13-2018 at 11:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Jorge  
Quote: Originally posted by tobias  

Perhaps? We cross every other weekend Jan - April going to Guadalupe.
Using our car to travel never any inspection. Driving the F350 with camper, stopped every time. We use Tecate with the camper rig to avoid the time delay for the x ray inspection at Tijuana.

Stickers? A few.

Blame? :bounce:

They took papayas from Peru, cucumbers and peppers from Mexico and onions from CA. Ni modo, me vale madre jiji.

"BLAME LAIRD".....damn janitors! :lol:
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2018 at 11:15 PM

LOL funny!
As for bugs... they can fly across the border.
I think the bugs that cause severe crop damage (like fruit flies) come from the tropics (ie south). Wasn't it interesting that the one fruit that can carry fruit fly eggs (oranges) was allowed into Mexico?
Don Jorge is the expert on produce growing, so I hope to hear more on all this new regulation from him.

Oh please, fruit flies are everywhere. I had them in my kitchen in Canada in the summer months. And I never bought oranges, don't like them.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.