Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Build a small block house or purchase 5th wheel
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2018 at 09:56 AM
Build a small block house or purchase 5th wheel

We have a lot down in San Lucas where we have an older travel trailer. Since we may be going down more often, and the trailer leaks, the wife and I are considering either building a small cinder block home or purchasing a 5th wheel, which has consider more space. I just would like to know what your thoughts are on the two ideas, especially from people who have done both. And, I know there are pro's and con's to both solutions. With building a house, there will be permits etc. required. With a larger trailer, we'll need the palapa rebuilt to accommdate the slides and the added height. Just looking at getting some insight and pointers from other nomads. Thanks...
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-13-2018 at 10:16 AM

It would be easier to move a 5th wheel unit....and a small job to improve the palapa roofing.....

I would do the trailer in that situation first....and build later if that is in the cards for you.

Good luck with your decision :coolup:

Don't believe everything you think....
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2018 at 10:48 AM

The cinder block option is better for security.
5th wheelers are recyclable aluminum and a income source for tweekers.
Housekeepers home in the hills of Ensenada had these features:
1. Glass bricks for the windows.
2. Vents above the windows with rebar for ventelation.
3. Separate secure kitchen building and living quarters building attached by walkway.
4. Solid front door set back with big iron gate to front entrance.
5. Rooftop patio with motion sensors and lights.

bad guys don't know which building to break into:mad:, since they are lazy POS they will go to somewhere easier:(

Es Todo Bueno
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2018 at 11:10 AM

Security wise, depends on location of the lot.

Much depends on whether you own the lot (fido) or renting/leasing.

RV is much cheaper and movable. Personally, with a papala attached, I think it's better than block. I hate block.

Buy RV, drive it down, move in. Build for months with lots of BS.

Either way, leaving your home empty is risking theft.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 1-13-2018 at 12:31 PM

I'd repair the old travel trailer! :P
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2018 at 12:33 PM

Unless you are trying to avoid a long haul pulling the fifth wheel out at the end of the season why not take it with you and avoid the theft/vandalism worry’s?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-13-2018 at 01:11 PM

http://www.gaf.com/Roofing/Commercial/Products/Single_Ply_Ro...

go to roofing supply house and have them cut you enough membrane to cover your trailer roof. add 1' extra on all sides just because. buy termination bar equal to the perimeter of the roof and add 3' extra. buy a bucket of glue and take it all with you to Baja. have the local guy remove AC unit, pull any other roof mounted items (not vents). clean old roof with soapy water and scrub brush, rinse and let dry. glue down TPO sheet to existing roofing material, screw on termination bar all around, trim excess TPO and reinstall AC unit and whatever else came off. Buy a gallon on Tropi-Cool to take with you as well and use this to seal any cuts you may have made around vents, etc. put it on heavy and 2-3 coats. You are now set for 20+ years. Check the areas tou Tropi-cool'd every couple of years just to be safe although its got a 12 year guarantee.

drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2018 at 01:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
Unless you are trying to avoid a long haul pulling the fifth wheel out at the end of the season why not take it with you and avoid the theft/vandalism worry’s?

The wife and I do not own any property in the states, so we would not have anywhere to put the trailer except at an rv storage lot. I retire from the Coast Guard this summer so we are still figuring out what we want to do; frugally retire full time in Baja for a while, or look for employment in the San Diego area. We have a fido on the lot down in Baja and have been thinking of building a house down there for a while. Additionally, my mother really enjoys Baja and would like to live there full time. Just the thought of spending 500-600k on a house in San Diego really sucks.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2018 at 02:50 PM

You're talking Cabo San Lucas, right? Not San Lucas Cove up by me.
Home prices in the Punta Chivato area are as low as I could imagine and some will negotiate even lower. That's a turn key home with most toys included.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2018 at 02:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Russ  
You're talking Cabo San Lucas, right? Not San Lucas Cove up by me.
Home prices in the Punta Chivato area are as low as I could imagine and some will negotiate even lower. That's a turn key home with most toys included.

San Lucas Cove..
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2018 at 03:15 PM

Oh, right. Now I see the location under your name. My neighbor just sold (almost gave away) his lot, Holiday camper with slide out, Large storage bldg with bath, ramada and made a separate deal for his Grady White. The folks that bought it have a huge toy hauler that won't fit under the ramada so are deciding what to build to accommodate it and plan for the future. They've already made a deal for the camper. Good luck to you.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 1-13-2018 at 04:59 PM

you work your entire life to retire and you want to live in a trailer? geeezzz

build a small house and a garage...live it up...you're NOT taking it with you

the govt will pay you EVERY month

and remember your friends and family WONT be coming down to visit...they think it's too dangerous

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2018 at 07:49 PM

Get the fiver and do San Lucas from November thru April then pull it over to Asunción area to escape the heat from May thru October. Best of both coasts. Fishing should be great both places. Of course some enjoy the blazing heat and humidity on the Cortez side in the summer.
tobias
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2018 at 11:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Russ  
Oh, right. Now I see the location under your name. My neighbor just sold (almost gave away) his lot, Holiday camper with slide out, Large storage bldg with bath, ramada and made a separate deal for his Grady White. The folks that bought it have a huge toy hauler that won't fit under the ramada so are deciding what to build to accommodate it and plan for the future. They've already made a deal for the camper. Good luck to you.

What did he get for it if you dont mind me asking?
What kind of lot was it?
I am trying to get a feel for the Baja market and data points are not easy to come by and all over the place.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2018 at 06:59 AM

often when a gringo has had enough of baja, and feels its time to sell and leave,many awesome deals happen. keep an eye on craigslist. good luck
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 1-14-2018 at 08:32 AM

I did the trailer thing under the ramada for eight years. Last year I built the casita of cinder block with stucco and sold the camper. In my case I am 6'5" tall. My camper was taller than most so I didn't have to bend over when walking inside. But it felt like a tin can to me. I built my casita with tall ceilings. Tall windows. Tall doors. I NEVER hit my head now. Which is a huge thing for tall guys. :-) We HATE living in a small man's world. I love my casita. But I'm also in a relatively safe campo and don't worry too much about a break in. But if you are a full timer then a break in is not too likely. And the fact is the trailer will depreciate like hell. And it is sitting on the beach right next to the salt. So consider that. For the cost of that depreciation you can build the casita and feel like you are actually living in a house. I'm very happy I did it.
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2018 at 11:41 AM

Once the mice get in the heater ducts and breed, create waste, die.....

The smell will not go away.

Protecting the roof is just a patch, All the cheezy trailer plumbing, valves, hardware, rubber seals and plastic become dry and brittle in the heat.

Trailers have a shelf life here.
bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2018 at 05:35 PM

http://www.instructables.com/id/New-Innovation-in-Constructi...

move in to the camper and build one of these.
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2018 at 05:51 PM

I know people satisfied with a 5th wheel or other RV -- but many go into construction mode anyway. First is usually a bathroom with a shower you can move around in and a sink with counter space. Then a utility room with washer/dryer. Maybe an outdoor kitchen so you don't heat or stink up the RV. You'll need a storage room for toys and a shop for your tools. Find and patch the leak in the trailer you have and put up that block house. The trailer becomes your guest house. And, my block house doesn't shake when the wind blows.
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2018 at 07:38 PM

Multiple folks I know started with a concrete slab and a camper.
Next step is cinder block utility shed.
The dynamics of your security situation from that point should give you an idea about the future. Cowboy up and go for it

Es Todo Bueno
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.