Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Route advice Rosarito to El Arco
1962siia

[*] posted on 1-14-2018 at 10:43 AM
Route advice Rosarito to El Arco

Hi all:

Looking for input on a planned route from Rosarito to El Arco. We will be riding dirt bikes from BOLA to San Ignacio. First part of the day will take us between Bola and Rosarito through San Borja (I've ridden this a few times) then on the route below to El Arco (never been on these roads and looking for advice on this section) and then south from El Arco on roads I've ridden before. The group will be solid intermediate riders on single cylinder plated dirt bikes. Here is my planned route. Thanks.

[Edited on 1-14-2018 by 1962siia]

Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 9.31.04 AM.jpg - 240kB
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-14-2018 at 11:16 AM

I have not been on that road since 1966 when it was then the main transpeninsular road from Ensenada to La Paz.

El Arco is now a ghost town and abandoned army camp. There is only one cattle ranch active in the middle of the place for a population count. I was there a few months ago.

I am sure one of the other Nomads can add more... but as long as you have enough fuel to reach Vizcaino, it should be easy for you guys.

Here are some classic maps from 1962:

Now, with new roads drawn in:

The 2010 Auto Club map shows some of it:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

1962siia

[*] posted on 1-14-2018 at 11:33 AM

Thanks for the maps and input. I had clavicle surgery in late September and need an easier route this year but don't want to be on slab all day either. I'm hoping this route is similar difficulty to the road between Bola and Rosarito via San Borja. Thanks for the input and maps!

As for fuel we all have large tanks. Looks like if we are concerned there is gas in Rancho la Puerta so we could just make a detour south and then hook back up with our route in San Jeronimo. Thanks again.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2018 at 11:45 AM

Many of the ranchos may have emergency fuel if the price is right and they can spare some.

On the road from El Arco to Punta San Francisquito, there is gasoline for tourists sold at Rancho Piedra Blanca (a guest ranch with rooms) and sometimes at El Barril (a fishing village). I don't know Rancho La Puerta or see it on a map.

I think the roads to and out of El Arco will be more sandy and two track, vs. rocky and graded as the San Borja roads are.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

1962siia

[*] posted on 1-14-2018 at 12:03 PM

Sandy two track is fine too. As long as it goes through and there is no washed out sections etc it will be fine. Thanks again.

Rancho La Puerta is on the main hwy. My e32 shows a Pemex station there. North end of Villa Jesus Maria.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2018 at 12:11 PM

The Pemex station is at Villa Jesus María, north side of town.
e92, using Mexican government maps, may have lots of names that nobody in Baja has ever heard of!

I am making very easy to use maps for my road log... showing just places mentioned in the log to keep it easy.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-14-2018 at 12:14 PM

There is a business in El Arco that is set up to sell gasoline. Depending on when you get there, you may have to ask around to get someone to open up.

When i used it, It didn't take long for me to get served, and the price was not abusive for the peace of mind of getting to San Ignacio without going dry!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
1962siia

[*] posted on 1-14-2018 at 12:20 PM

Good to know about gas in El Arco. I've never seen anyone there the times I've been through. I'll be running a 6.6 gal tank on my bike so I'm not worried about fuel and all of the others will have at least 4 gal. Shouldn't be a problem to get to Vizcaino from Bola.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2018 at 12:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
There is a business in El Arco that is set up to sell gasoline. Depending on when you get there, you may have to ask around to get someone to open up.

When i used it, It didn't take long for me to get served, and the price was not abusive for the peace of mind of getting to San Ignacio without going dry!

When was this AK? At the cattle ranch in the middle?
I was surprised to see that the town did not exist anymore... all the old homes, church, everything (except that rancho) were empty/deserted. Summer 2017.

My photos at El Arco, June 2017:

[Edited on 1-14-2018 by David K]

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2018 at 01:09 PM

We did the road from Jesus Maria to El Arco about two years ago and it was mostly flat sand. If you need a GPS track I can see if I got it.
towntaco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2018 at 02:37 PM

I was in LA Bay on 12/28/17 and 12/29/17. Having ridden both the San Borja trail and to San Rafael recently I would suggest going south from Bahia de Los Angeles to San Rafael (stop at Poncho's) then San Francisquito and on to El Arco. The route turns sandy and pretty beat up from being used on the 1000 south of San Rafael but it isn't washed out and plated dirt bikes (thinking 450s) should make it a fun ride. You'll get more dirt and lots of time along the Sea of Cortez by going that way vs your planned route. The AAA map is pretty accurate in the area and there are plenty of GPS tracks for pin point accuracy. You should have ~150mi in fuel range for each bike.

[Edited on 1-14-2018 by towntaco]
1962siia

[*] posted on 1-14-2018 at 02:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by towntaco  
I was in LA Bay on 12/28/17 and 12/29/17. Having ridden both the San Borja trail and to San Rafael recently I would suggest going south from Bahia de Los Angeles to San Rafael (stop at Poncho's) then San Francisquito and on to El Arco. The route turns sandy and pretty beat up from being used on the 1000 south of San Rafael but it isn't washed out and plated dirt bikes (thinking 450s) should make it a fun ride. You'll get more dirt and lots of time along the Sea of Cortez by going that way vs your planned route. The AAA map is pretty accurate in the area and there are plenty of GPS tracks for pin point accuracy. You should have ~150mi in fuel range for each bike.

Thanks for the reply. We’ve gone that route several times and it’s a blast no doubt. The group wants to try something different and we will hit that section on our last day when we return to bola. Thanks.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2018 at 03:12 PM

Looks like there is power to the church, isn't that lightbulb on?

Perhaps a "higher" power involved.

John

[Edited on 1-14-2018 by John Harper]
towntaco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2018 at 04:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 1962siia  
Quote: Originally posted by towntaco  

Thanks for the reply. We’ve gone that route several times and it’s a blast no doubt. The group wants to try something different and we will hit that section on our last day when we return to bola. Thanks.

Rad, enjoy the ride and beers at Panchos!
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2018 at 04:57 PM
Your plan

I've lead a trip on that route a couple of years ago and have gps data - but I don't have dozens of pictures & maps

John M

[Edited on 1-14-2018 by John M]
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2018 at 05:07 PM

A year ago the first 5 or so miles out of Rosarito was loose arroyo sand, enough that a 2WD pickup got stuck. Once you crest the ridge it was decent gravel two track back to Mex 1 near Millers Landing. While you're in there take the loop road into El Marmolito.
1962siia

[*] posted on 1-15-2018 at 12:40 PM

OK thanks for all the info folks. Pretty sure I've got this route mapped out. In the end the plan is to take that eastern loop and check out El Marmolito and then head towards El Arco and come in from the north through El Canon and Pozo Aleman. From there we will head straight south to Vizcaino and on to San Ignacio. Woot!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2018 at 12:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 1962siia  
OK thanks for all the info folks. Pretty sure I've got this route mapped out. In the end the plan is to take that eastern loop and check out El Marmolito and then head towards El Arco and come in from the north through El Canon and Pozo Aleman. From there we will head straight south to Vizcaino and on to San Ignacio. Woot!

Please take photos at El Marmolito to share (and the rest of your trip, too)!

bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2018 at 05:09 PM

Here's a couple.

marmolito house.jpg - 237kBmarmolito quarry.jpg - 250kB
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2018 at 06:00 PM

Nice... a partial onyx building, too!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.