Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: BOLA
GATO
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2018 at 11:30 AM
BOLA

Trying to plan a fishing trip to BOLA this year. Hear summer time is the best fishing time (Yellowtail, Dorado, etc) but can be hot and humid. Can anybody get me some feedback? Never been so sorry if the questions seem a bit silly.

Are there hotels there that have A/C? (I don't need anything fancy)
Hotel prices for a room that sleeps 3 or 4?
Do I need to reserve hotels rooms or can I just show up?
Do I need to reserve fishing boats in advance or just show up?
What does a panga/super panga/cruiser cost per day?
Does BOLA has reliable gas and electricity?

If people could give me your advice and suggestions that would be great! I've driven down many of times just never been to BOLA so the driving part I've got covered.

C205Driver
Nomad

Mood: Life is Good

[*] posted on 1-16-2018 at 11:41 AM

bahiadelosangeles.info
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-16-2018 at 12:11 PM

You can just show up for hotel and boats.

Costa del Sol is the best hotel. Great food. Rooms are about $65. AC in the summer. Two queen beds per room.

Secure parking for bikes, etc., in a court yard and you can put them right near your room. You always meet interesting people there.

GATO
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2018 at 12:17 PM

Thanks JZ for the feedback. That's what I was looking for, people's personal experience.

Any idea what a panga/super panga/cruiser goes for? Or are they negotiable?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-16-2018 at 12:22 PM

$350 for a reliable capt. all the way to $200 for a driver.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-16-2018 at 12:27 PM

Some answers from my experience:
1) Summer is a great fishing season. Yellowtail (jurel) is king.
2) You can try to reserve, but showing up is not dangerous in summer. There are so many lodging options (if you are not really fussy). Costa del Sol is a top rated motel but the Los Vientos hotel has had new, positive feedback. Look at the info web page provided. Las Hamacas, Villa Bahia, Daggett's, and the original place from the 1950s, Casa Diaz are all possible and there are more... like Guillermo's...

The fishing guide questions I will pass to a Nomad who uses them. I am an off roader and history buff when in Baja.

Yes, gas is reliable (unless they run out, lol... but that is now rare with two Pemex stations there).

Power is now 24/7 in town and a few miles towards La Gringa.

If you want photos of places to stay there, I took several last year... See my Trip #1 report here on Nomad.

[Edited on 1-16-2018 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-16-2018 at 12:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
$350 for a reliable capt. all the way to $200 for a driver.

Don't think it is near that much.

$200 will get you by.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-16-2018 at 01:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Doesn't the abbreviation "L.A. BAY" sound better than "BOLA" for the beautiful Bay of Angels, Bahía de los Angeles? ....

NO !!!!:O:O:O

David, please do not anglicize the Mexican name...I am surprised you are inclined to suggest that change....call it what it is....not some gringo shorthand.....:light:

Don't believe everything you think....
C205Driver
Nomad

Mood: Life is Good

[*] posted on 1-16-2018 at 01:55 PM

Have stayed at Villa Vita a few times, good English, bar, pool, restaurant, A/C, walk to stores & restaurants, secure storage & low cost fishing/ whaleshark swimming trip... Very satisfied with entire package, YMMV......
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2018 at 03:51 PM

Some hotels can full in the summer, it's too hot to camp. Most have AC, check the website listed above, and most will charge a little more than other small towns in Baja. Both stations have gasoline but have, in the past, run out at the same time. Only one carries diesel and they don't seem to order until they're dry so there are more occurrences of it not being available. Fill when you get to town, not when you want to leave. The best (and highest priced) captains will be booked ahead most of the summer. You will probably find only super pangas and the hotel you stay at can help with finding a boat.
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2018 at 07:06 PM

I have always stayed at Guillermo's. Huge rooms and a great location. Plus they have a restaurant and will arrange fishing trips. I have also stayed at Daggits on the other end of town. Not as nice, and no restaurant. They are cheaper and will also arrange fishing. Have fun!
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2018 at 07:22 PM

Depends on what you prefer, but my 1st choice is Guillermos. Hard to beat being on the beach and they have a really good restaurant/beach bar. Plus, you can launch your boat there or just have your panguero pick you up/drop you off at your hotel. Villa Bahia is quirky, but has a great beach and you can use their kitchen to cook. Larry & Raquels is a cool place if you like rustic.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-16-2018 at 07:31 PM

Is Larry and Raquel's in business without Larry and Raquel? There was no signage anymore along the La Gringa highway.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2018 at 08:30 PM

It's open. Ruth, who ran it for Larry, is still there running it for his heirs and makes a mean margarita. Rooms and a restaurant open for dinner. She's been working on stabilizing the second floor and the restaurant and deck no longer bounce. She hopes to keep working on it so the second floor rooms can once again be rented out.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2018 at 12:05 AM

Use your imagination...;)

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2018 at 01:44 PM

Daggetz has A/C, must be cheaper than Costa. Nothing fancy or even what would qualify as "nice" but reasonably priced. As all Ruben's projects. Strictly a cash-flow machine. On the beach, but windows are facing sideways/south - not to the beach. View of campers/tents/RV parking, and there is a good chance that some of them will be running generators - no electricity for those. He has pangas for fishing tours as well.

Anybody with a boat and working motor is a "fishing guide", in this village with no jobs. You won't have problems finding somebody. Prices vary wildly.

[Edited on 1-19-2018 by Alm]
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 1-20-2018 at 09:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Doesn't the abbreviation "L.A. BAY" sound better than "BOLA" for the beautiful Bay of Angels, Bahía de los Angeles? ....

NO !!!!:O:O:O

David, please do not anglicize the Mexican name...I am surprised you are inclined to suggest that change....call it what it is....not some gringo shorthand.....:light:

Isn't "BOLA" already anglicized? "BdLA" may be the Mexican abbreviation for Bahia de Los Angeles.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2018 at 10:46 AM

I just call the place by its name....Bahia de Los Angeles ...:light:

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2018 at 10:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
I just call the place by its name....Bahia de Los Angeles ...:light:

right....a hundred miles south of "bahia san luis gonzaga":rolleyes:
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 1-20-2018 at 11:12 AM

LAbay or Gbay works fine by me!;)
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.