Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Cows off Loreto?
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2018 at 01:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LukeJobbins  
Cool thanks everyone. A cow is over 200 pounds. Started as talking about catching a fish the size of a cow. Now its typically just referred to yellowfin tuna over 200lbs (some people use it for bluefin also).

I don't do the Facebook or bloody decks things so if anyone has any contact info for tim's boat or a boat/panga who knows the big tuna area and would be willing to go out there please let me know. Id like to talk to them about it. Thanks

not a cheap ride but hey....all the beer you can drink ;)
https://fishingbooker.com/charters/view/5641

[Edited on 1-17-2018 by willardguy]
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2018 at 06:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
Cool thanks everyone. A cow is over 200 pounds. Started as talking about catching a fish the size of a cow. Now its typically just referred to yellowfin tuna over 200lbs (some people use it for bluefin also).

I don't do the Facebook or bloody decks things so if anyone has any contact info for tim's boat or a boat/panga who knows the big tuna area and would be willing to go out there please let me know. Id like to talk to them about it. Thanks

Wow thats expensive.
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2018 at 06:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

I might be able to do a multiday trip to puerto vallarta for that price.
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 1-18-2018 at 08:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Dear confused

I understand your quandary, is it better to catch smaller fish to eat or catch the grandpa for many, many meals? Which is better for the future of the species, letting the medium ones grow up to have more fish or take one grandpa out as he has lived his life? I'm not sure their is a morally correct answer.

It's sort of like off road racing, one is tearing up the land but it brings in $ into the local economies, it depends on ones point of view.

Very interesting question. I appreciate your broaching the subject. As a consumer I favor any use of the fishery that is sustainable. I suspect the only way to reverse the diminishing trend is to totally ban ALL fishing for a few years. It's Pollyanna I realize but I could give up eating it for a couple of years. Those years could be spent teaching people how to catch and release and otherwise use the resource more wisely. I know I will get a lot of pushback, I have no statistics to back me up, but I think a major portion of the resource is wasted. Literally tons of marine protien goes out of Cabo yearly. Only to sit in a freezer until it turns yellow and isn't even good for bait.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 1-18-2018 at 10:00 PM

Wow!

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 1-19-2018 at 08:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
Wow!

We stayed at Jardines not long ago. An employee was 'cleaning' out the freezers on the back patio. He had several kilo of fillets in a box. I asked him if they were for the restaurant. No, I do this every week or two. It's just fish that is left by fishermen. Wow, I said.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 1-19-2018 at 12:42 PM

I always try to make sure I have people I can deliver my fish to and fresh if I can hustle home quick enough.
I find it an absolute abomination to waste precious fish.
If I don't have people lined up I keep the 1st fish and try to release anything after that and as heathy is I can.
I love fish.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2018 at 01:44 PM

week or two old fish from the freezer won't have trouble finding a home.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-19-2018 at 02:25 PM

Just curious !! What does one do with a 350 lb fish here in Loreto? A fish like that will bring thousands of dollars on the Japanese market, but here it a game fish, so illegal to sell and how much tuna can one eat ? There is enough to feed a village. And how much canned tuna can you use ? I like to know the answer to those questions. I'm waiting !!

Other question.
How do you get a fish that size on board without a hoist ? Tow it in ??

[Edited on 1-19-2018 by vandenberg]
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2018 at 03:14 PM

Other question.
How do you get a fish that size on board without a hoist ? Tow it in ??

[Edited on 1-19-2018 by vandenberg][/rquote]

3 or 4 gaffs if you don´t have a marlin door.

LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2018 at 10:49 PM

Well personally I would be able to fillet a fish that size and get it to a fish processor in san diego within a day and a half of catching it. It would be under ice in a freezer until the processor, and once at the processor they vacuum seal fillets and flash freeze them. They can then last for well over a year in perfect condition.

And I would give away a lot to whomever would want some. I also usually only keep as much as my friends and I will eat, then it's catch and release.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 1-20-2018 at 01:46 AM

Well personally I would be able to fillet a fish that size and get it to a fish processor in san diego within a day and a half of catching it. It would be under ice in a freezer until the processor, and once at the processor they vacuum seal fillets and flash freeze them. They can then last for well over a year in perfect condition.

And I would give away a lot to whomever would want some. I also usually only keep as much as my friends and I will eat, then it's catch and release.

Good job brother Luke. The fish god(s) will smile down on you!

"Ice is the fishermans best friend"

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.