Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: 2006 Jeep Commander - broke down near San Ignacio
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2018 at 07:37 PM
2006 Jeep Commander - broke down near San Ignacio

Howdy nomads,

I just parted ways with the other vehicle on our baja trip. On their way north they broke down outside San Ignacio. After stopping on the side of the road, the car wouldn’t start. The local mechanics don’t have a diagnosis or a fix and recommended they get a tow up to a bigger shop in Vizcaino. Not sure if it’s something simple like a sensor or serious.

1. Is Vizcaino a good plan? Or should they get a tow to Loreto or Guerrero Negro for best mechanics?
  2. Any recommendations on a mechanic?
  3. How does a long tow work in Baja? What should they expect to pay?

Any tips welcome.

Traveling the Americas via my old land cruiser
TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2018 at 08:44 PM

Vizcaino is much closer and is a major trucking and farming center. Probably lots of good mechanics.
A few years ago I broke down in Jesus Maria and the mechanic had to go all the way to Vizcaino for parts. No parts in Guerrero Negro.
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2018 at 09:03 PM

I know this isn't useful for them particularly but a public service announcement for everyone. Buy a code scanner and print out the codes list and keep it in the car. They are only about 35-40 dollars and can at least show you if its as simple as a loose gas cap or something major. Good things to know when in the middle of the baja desert.

Good luck to your buddies.
SunDevil
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2018 at 07:09 AM

Amazon has an OBD2 scanner for only $16.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075WQW6N9/ref=oh_aui_deta...
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-19-2018 at 07:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SunDevil  
Amazon has an OBD2 scanner for only $16.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075WQW6N9/ref=oh_aui_deta...

My truck has USB ports and a full computer screen/buttons to operate. It is silly that manufacturers don’t put diagnostic codes visible on regular dashboard screen for any driver/owner to review when faults occur.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2018 at 08:22 AM

Call Junior Moreno 615-109-5553 ... he and his dad have a automotive shop in Vizcaino, they do everything from transmissions, engines, electrical to welding, fabrication etc.. they have a trailer and they will come pick you up as well if you need that.

They are an amazing family of mechanics.

[Edited on 1-19-2018 by Desertbull]

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 1-19-2018 at 08:30 AM

'J' is for junk. Sell

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 1-19-2018 at 09:09 AM

The auto shop on the northern end of Vizcaino, parts and labor under one roof. If I remember correct it is right next to the bank on the east side of the road, cant miss it.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2018 at 09:17 AM

Thank you for the useful info and contacts. I think we're looking at some internal engine work (rings) as the likely out come.

I'm disappointed with the grumpy nomad troll brigade. I expected a stronger heaping of scorn.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-19-2018 at 10:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
The auto shop on the northern end of Vizcaino, parts and labor under one roof. If I remember correct it is right next to the bank on the east side of the road, cant miss it.

The Pro One Auto Parts store (east side of hwy./ south side of bank/ATM) in Vizcaíno was amazing!!! Mechanics next door will install or fix anything, I believe!

We also stopped at the Pro One auto parts in Santa Rosalia, similar signage and logo to Vizcaino:

Girls enjoying watermelon from the fruit stand, across the highway, while the guys address a loose rear stabilizer bracket. Sept. 2016.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2018 at 12:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Desertbull  
Call Junior Moreno 615-109-5553 ... he and his dad have a automotive shop in Vizcaino, they do everything from transmissions, engines, electrical to welding, fabrication etc.. they have a trailer and they will come pick you up as well if you need that.

They are an amazing family of mechanics.

[Edited on 1-19-2018 by Desertbull]

Thanks, good to know.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-19-2018 at 12:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by WideAngleWandering  
I'm disappointed with the grumpy nomad troll brigade. I expected a stronger heaping of scorn.

WTF were you hoping for???? :biggrin: ;)

Don't believe everything you think....
nbentley1
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2018 at 02:54 PM

I second the shop connected to the parts store on the left as you enter form the north. They have patched me up a couple of times.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-19-2018 at 03:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by WideAngleWandering  
Thank you for the useful info and contacts. I think we're looking at some internal engine work (rings) as the likely out come.

My God, that's almost unheard of in a 2006 vehicle. Yes, even for a Jeep (mild scorn).

WTF happened, did they let it run out of oil?

I suspect the circuit that prevents an engine from turning over if the car "thinks" it is not in park and the brake pedal depressed. Not uncommon in some vehicles.

Could you hear the starter trying to turn?

My 2005 Jeep actually got stuck in park with the engine running as I tried to pull in the gate where I live. Nothing would budge it from Park (auto tranny). A quick search of the internet pointed to a flexible plastic extension that was inside the transmission shifter in the cab. When you depress the button on the side of the shifter to move the shifter out of park, this flexible piece moves a part that allows the shifter to move towards the rear of the vehicle. But the plastic piece, probably due to all the heat coming from the transmission, eventually becomes brittle and breaks. The fix that many used was to take a plastic chopstick, cut to a similar length and replace the broken part with this. It has enough flexibility to negotiate a curve in the shifter. It's still working after 4-5 years.

The ultimate cheap Chinese part fix.

[Edited on 1-19-2018 by Hook]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2018 at 08:32 AM

Oh my gosh! That is exactly how we temporarily got our titan to change gear when we got stuck on the Marin side of the GoldenGate Bridge on our last vacation. Our problem was electrical (fuse) but the fix was the same!

We use the mechanic in Vizcaino who is close to the bank as well. He is wonderful and usually works very fast. Reasonably priced.

Let us know if you need anything ~ Blanca

[Edited on 1-20-2018 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2018 at 07:48 AM

We suspect the oil pump failed as it has oil and coolant, wasn't overheating.

We're i. Vizcaino awaiting the transporter for the border. They were supposed to arrive yesterday but now they say today. Qien sabe

The transporter will go to a warehouse in Tijuana where we'll meet a US towing service to bring it to SD.

My new land cruiser now has a name. RescataJeep.

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-21-2018 at 08:09 AM

if the semi doesnt show up....meet ya for shrimp tacos at Don Ramons!!! Juan's vehicle is vacationing at a shop near you too needing an adjustment after getting a new engine.
Hope that Jeep is worth the trouble!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 1-21-2018 at 08:57 AM

Oil pump fails. No oil pressure. Oil warning light comes on. Stop driving immediately and find out why or disaster. I have seen this scenario numerous times in my career. The cooling system masks the increased heat until BOOM.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2018 at 10:57 AM

It sounds like a rescue is on the way, but when I broke down in the same area decades ago, I got a ride back to TJ with a lumber supplying tractor trailer to GN with my ford 4 wheel drive van. He was empty going back north, and any extra bucks for him was appreciated.

This was my first and only time riding in a real truck and I have always appreciated the time, even if it was for less than desirable reasons.

The lumber yard in GN was as helpful as they could be to set this up.

I think it cost me $300 or so to get me back to TJ and the experience was worth every penny.

Baja is always a bargain, even if at times it may be hard to imagine anything good when the worst happens. It is not the worst if you are able to find a way to recover and return at a later date. Thanks to all here.
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2018 at 02:24 PM

We got a nomad discount on the transport, looking at 6000 pesos for the ride. We just got word that the hauler left Santa rosalia a few hours ago so maybe we'll be moving soon. Only downside is no passengers allowed, so we have a person and a dog that need to get to TJ. I volunteered to drive them up to spare the dog from riding in the bus cargo hold. Just a little 900 mile detour from planned route.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.