Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Todos Hotel California lawsuit settled
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2018 at 01:13 AM
Todos Hotel California lawsuit settled

''The Eagles have settled a lawsuit filed last year to prevent a Mexican hotel from calling itself Hotel California. The hoteliers, Hotel California Baja LLC, withdrew their application for a U.S. trademark, according to Reuters.''

Looks like a Mexican/American Standoff.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/eagles-settle-lawsui...

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2018 at 07:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Looks like a Mexican/American Standoff.

It looks like both parties decided to remain on their respective side of the wall.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2018 at 10:17 AM

another win, for the attorney's ;)
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 1-19-2018 at 11:20 AM

Funny how in the article it states:""In their response, the hoteliers denied wrongdoing. The company said it was unlikely fans would be confused.""

And just a few days ago someone on trip advisor asks:

""Hotel California
Jan 16, 2018, 2:15 AM
Thinking about booking a day tour to Todos Santos to see the famous Hotel California. Tourist trap or a must see?! Thanks!""

I hear the whales song
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-19-2018 at 11:28 AM

The hotel in Todos Santos has been called the Hotel California since before the Eagles were in high school, maybe before they were born?

California was originally the peninsula that we now call Baja California. Baja was added to the name because the Spanish began to colonize the land north of the peninsula (in 1769) and did not have a name for this new land. The referred to it as New California or Upper (Alta) California. To avoid confusion over which California, the peninsula began to be called Old California or Lower (Baja) California.

Americans simply dropped the Alta from the name California. Mexicans did not drop Baja, however, when the two Californias were separated.

Baja was California first! :light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 1-19-2018 at 12:02 PM

Thanks for the history lesson Professor DK........LOL

I hear the whales song
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 1-19-2018 at 12:34 PM

:bounce:

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
another win, for the attorney's ;)

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 1-19-2018 at 12:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The hotel in Todos Santos has been called the Hotel California since before the Eagles were in high school, maybe before they were born?

California was originally the peninsula that we now call Baja California. Baja was added to the name because the Spanish began to colonize the land north of the peninsula (in 1769) and did not have a name for this new land. The referred to it as New California or Upper (Alta) California. To avoid confusion over which California, the peninsula began to be called Old California or Lower (Baja) California.

Americans simply dropped the Alta from the name California. Mexicans did not drop Baja, however, when the two Californias were separated.

Baja was California first! :light:

I though so! That is why I always say " Baja is the California I was looking for"
I thought Southern California was what I was looking for. But after living there for 30years...
Thank God a place called Baja California exists...
"You can check out anytime you want... but you can never leave..."

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2018 at 02:30 PM

Sounds like both parties are happy now that that is settled!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-19-2018 at 02:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajagrouper  
Funny how in the article it states:""In their response, the hoteliers denied wrongdoing. The company said it was unlikely fans would be confused.""

And just a few days ago someone on trip advisor asks:

""Hotel California
Jan 16, 2018, 2:15 AM
Thinking about booking a day tour to Todos Santos to see the famous Hotel California. Tourist trap or a must see?! Thanks!""

I dont see how this indicates confusion over whether the hotel has anything to do with the Eagles. The hotel is moderately famous in its own right.

While David's history lesson is interesting and accurate to a point, the fact that Hotel California was the original name in 1950, but had been renamed something else until the current owners bought it in 2001 (and changed it back) is somewhat suspicious. That was well after the song became so famous. Couple this with the fact that they were playing the song constantly indicates to me that they were trying to monetize the connection, however small.

Anyway, I'm uncertain; is the hotel allowed to continue using the name? It seems so.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2018 at 03:04 PM

They can use the name they just will not trademark the name in the US as they were attempting to do. Eagles were in the right to protect their 'brand'.

"The hoteliers, Hotel California Baja LLC, withdrew their application for a U.S. trademark, according to Reuters."

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2018 at 01:07 PM

Doesn't matter how long the name has been used in Todos. I've read travel articles that asked the question: is this the place the Eagles wrote about? The owners are fine if that myth is kept alive.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 1-20-2018 at 01:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Doesn't matter how long the name has been used in Todos. I've read travel articles that asked the question: is this the place the Eagles wrote about? The owners are fine if that myth is kept alive.

That's where I am at with this. If you want to believe... believe and be happy.
I don't care if it's ckicken or egg on this.
I like my fantasies... they're all mine!
And it's very happy inside my head.

Maybe it's the colitas...

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2018 at 06:36 PM

In defense of DK's contribution I ask, "What's is wrong with some accurate historical information amidst the blather?"

Under pressure from the church next door, the Hotel changed its name to, "Hotel Misión de Todos Santos" in the 1970s.

Anyway, good for them in ending the game. Continuing the litigation would probably only have benefited the attorneys, and they surely could have dragged it on for several careers.

Certainty is the child of ignorance, knowledge is the mother of doubt. Question everything!

http://bcsbirds.com
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2018 at 06:47 PM

Ironically, the picture on the front of the Eagles Hotel California album is not of the Hotel California - it's of the Beverly Hills Hotel. It seems the Eagles are not so innocent of borrowing an icon, either.
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2018 at 06:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tehag  
In defense of DK's contribution I ask, "What's is wrong with some accurate historical information amidst the blather?"

Under pressure from the church next door, the Hotel changed its name to, "Hotel Misión de Todos Santos" in the 1970s.

Anyway, good for them in ending the game. Continuing the litigation would probably only have benefited the attorneys, and they surely could have dragged it on for several careers.

Because as usual, maybe it had nothing to do with the topic of the thread, and everything to do with him.
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2018 at 09:13 AM

DK's first sentence could not have addressed the subject any better, in my opinion.

His history lesson is certainly not out of line either.

DK gets some ill treatment on this site. I can't pretend to know why, but it usually seems rather more personal than objective.

Certainty is the child of ignorance, knowledge is the mother of doubt. Question everything!

http://bcsbirds.com
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2018 at 10:55 AM

"Eagles were in the right to protect their 'brand'."
But not smart enough to trademark the title (IF it could have been trademarked - which is doubtful beause song titles and common lexicon generally fall outside the uniqueness requirement of the words intended to be trademarked). The hotel failed for the same reason and abandoned their attempt. It's not illegal for a hotel to sell T-shirts with its name on them. And I'll bet that's not the only Hotel California in existence.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 1-21-2018 at 11:39 AM
It's NOT Nit-Picking

While the Baja hotel conflict "may" seem insignificant and criticize the Eagles for their brand protection, it is worth noting that a failure to take action in even the smaller conflicts could be used by the defense in other infringement cases of greater import.

Here in YV years back, the old Dairy Queen was reopened as "Corona's Mexican Restaurant" and, fairly quickly, found themselves in a legal action with the brewer. It soon became "Santana's."

As to David K :

Whatever your opinion of his "opinions", when it comes to Baja, he KNOWS more than anybody else here and shares his factual comprehensive (sometimes pedantic) knowledge freely.

THAT will always draw (jealous ?) fire.
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2018 at 11:50 AM

Always been curious where "Todos" is located.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.