BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What's the driving condition of the East Road (Hwy 1 to San Isidro to San Juanico)?
elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2018 at 11:56 AM
What's the driving condition of the East Road (Hwy 1 to San Isidro to San Juanico)?

Does anyone knwo what the driving condition of the East Road (Hwy 1 at El Roasarito to San Isidro to San Juanico) is?
Would like to make this trip, but I always like to know what I'm getting into.
Thanks!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-21-2018 at 04:24 PM

I also was hoping someone would post current conditions by now, but until that happens, I can give you an older one.

I last drove that road heading east late November 2016. At that time, it was rough in more than a few spots, but passable in 2wd. There has been one major storm since then, and if there has been any maintenance done it is probably just enough for the ranchers to get their trucks to and from the markets. The eastern slope of the pass was worse than the west side.

What are you driving?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-21-2018 at 04:25 PM

Very very rough after about 10 smooth miles. Detailed it in my #2 report for 2017. Figure 3 hours to La Purísima from Hwy. 1.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2018 at 04:26 PM

Toyota Tundra (older model).
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-21-2018 at 04:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elfbrewery  
Toyota Tundra (older model).

Sounds like a ranch truck to me! Go for it!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2018 at 04:50 PM

I drove up there spring '17 and there were sections of new and smooth, just to get you complacent. Then, without any warning, the killer potholes begin - they put the potholes near Catavina to shame.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2018 at 02:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
I drove up there spring '17 and there were sections of new and smooth, just to get you complacent. Then, without any warning, the killer potholes begin - they put the potholes near Catavina to shame.

I believe he is asking about the unpaved (never paved) "East Road" and not Hwy. 53 northbound from Insurgentes to San Isidro ("South Road")??? The South Road had pot hole sections in a couple places, including near the Comondú highway fork (Francisco Villa) and on the 4-mile paved road into Las Barrancas. If you need more details, I will give you the mileage/kilometer marker locations. All recorded last summer.

I drove the road from La Purísima east to Hwy. 1 just south of Bahía Concepción. That was the very very rough graded road I was mentioning. So, no problem driving it if you just go slow... using best or new tires, too!

[Edited on 1-22-2018 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2018 at 10:15 AM

Gracias!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2018 at 12:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elfbrewery  
Gracias!

De nada.... Here are a couple photos from that road:

elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2018 at 02:03 PM

Nice pix!
sabrinajs

[*] posted on 2-13-2018 at 06:51 PM
East Road (San Isidro)

February 2018-Just did the east road from Hwy 1 through San Isidro to San Juanico. It was in pretty good shape. Took us about 2.5 hours from the turnoff on Hwy 1 to La Purisima. About 4.5 hours total from Mulege to San Juanico. You would want a vehicle with some clearance and preferably 4x4 but could make it in 2x4. Came back on the road from Las Ballenas (north of San Juanico) to Ice House Road in Mulege. That road was a lot rougher but we made it through in 4x4 Suburban in about 7 hours. The turnoff just south of La Ballena is not marker at all and easy to miss. Several water crossings two of which were about 1 foot deep.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2018 at 09:42 PM

Thank you very much for the current roads report! I missed seeing the La Ballena junction but spotted it on Google Earth to confirm where it was... just south of the ranch which is on the edge of the arroyo.
Glad you are on Nomad sharing! Welcome!

elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2018 at 07:10 AM

Yes, thank you. Great report.
tecatero
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2018 at 07:59 AM

If you have gone that far past San Ignacio, ( aka north road access), keep going all the way around through Loreto , Insurgentes, Zaragoza,,,,,,,,,,,,,that road is bad, and will f*** your ride up....Just met some kids in a rental car and that was the road Siri told them to take on their iPhone and they did.......9 hours., 2 fits and a dented oil pan ..lol
kbrauner

[*] posted on 3-29-2018 at 07:51 PM

The sign on Hwy 1 (close to El Rosarito) says that it is 61 kilometers from there to San Isidro. On March 15, I traveled the last 55 kilometers of that in two hours and five minutes. The road was rough (the several wide river bottoms with medium-sized river rocks were the worst), but traveling slowly everything was fine. I was driving a 2007 Toyota 4Runner. High clearance was necessary and I used 4-wheel drive, which certainly helped. From San Isidro to San Juanico is all paved and fine.

[Edited on 3-30-2018 by kbrauner]
elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2018 at 01:01 PM

updates are ALWAYS appreciated. Muchas gracias!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.