BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Anyone who's been wanting a drone, but hasn't pulled the trigger yet, this is the one you want
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 1-23-2018 at 09:57 PM

The FAA already regulates drones in the US. As a pilot, I believe it is necessary.
Timo1
Senior Nomad

Mood: Lovin every minute of it

[*] posted on 1-24-2018 at 06:15 AM

I want one

sold out and got out !!!
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 1-24-2018 at 05:35 PM

Dangle a few feet of line with sinker underneath and grab it when you get it close to the boat. Then reel it in and shut it down. These things are super easy to take off, land, and fly.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2018 at 06:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos  
Dangle a few feet of line with sinker underneath and grab it when you get it close to the boat. Then reel it in and shut it down. These things are super easy to take off, land, and fly.

I wouldn't advise that.
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2018 at 07:32 PM

These things are super easy to take off, land, and fly.

I'd be careful saying that to someone new to any kind of R/C flying. Yes, they have a tone of safety features, but you still have to know how to fly it.

There's more to these drones than that they "fly out of the box". You have to update software, choose the right return to home settings, set the proper low battery warning and to be aware of wind and obstacles. On the forums and on youtube there are many new drone operators asking 'why did my drone crash?' In most cases it was because they did not know how to fly, didn't read the manual or didn't have the best settings for their flying situation (flying over water for example).

I highly recommend that anyone new to drones considering the Mavic Air or any other somewhat expensive drone first drop 30 bucks on a toy drone to learn the basics of flying a quadcopter. Once you have crashed the toy drone enough and have learned to fly it, then maybe spend the bigger bucks on a better drone.

I only state all this to possibly save anyone losing their new $800 drone on the first flight.

:o:lol:

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2018 at 07:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gringorio  

I highly recommend that anyone new to drones considering the Mavic Air or any other somewhat expensive drone first drop 30 bucks on a toy drone to learn the basics of flying a quadcopter. Once you have crashed the toy drone enough and have learned to fly it, then maybe spend the bigger bucks on a better drone.

You had me until this bit. Negative. Someone gave me that advice and it was the worst possible advice. Set me back.

Just spend half a day watching YouTube videos before you fly it.

Practicing on a toy drone is a waste of time and money. They aren't similar.

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2018 at 07:42 PM

Is night flying a nightmare?

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-24-2018 at 08:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Is night flying a nightmare?

With IR camera you can be a nighttime peeping Tom :(

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2018 at 08:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

You had me until this bit. Negative. Someone gave me that advice and it was the worst possible advice. Set me back.

Totally agree. When I got my first drone I had some anxiety over the learning curve since I had never played with a radio controlled anything and never played a computer game that took more than two fingers. I did purchase a $500 drone instead of the $1000 one that I wanted and I think even that was a mistake. They do in fact fly right out of the box for someone with no previous experience and each new generation gets even more foolproof.
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2018 at 09:26 PM

[/rquote]

Sorry. Not trying to be negative. Just being realistic in order to help someone who has never flown before not lose their drone. "Just spend half a day watching YouTube videos before you fly it." This is truly bad advice. These drones will fly out of the box but you're risking a crash if you do not calibrate the compass and IMU and perform the updates. And if you've never flown R/C before watching youtube videos does not give you the skills to safely fly a quadcopter forwards, backwards, toward yourself or out of line of sight or in variable wind conditions. Yes, DJI is marketing the Mavic Air to beginners and that is great. The point I'm trying to make for people new to drones is take it step by step. A toy drone is not a waste of time and money. They fly just like the larger drones as far as stick input goes. I recommend something like the syma x5c-1, though it's more than $30.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-24-2018 at 09:57 PM

I wouldn’t spend $1000 on a drone. I know from watching videos and watching the neighbors,... drones are a novelty, after a while you get board of aerial shots, voyuerism and fussy gadgets, and then $1000 toy just gathers dust in garage.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2018 at 10:39 PM

...been following a round the world sailboat race,, Volvo Ocean Race,, 7 one-design boats in very close racing. They each have a media person onboard, and use drone's,,, most amazing ariel views of the sailing action,,,, it's incredible they can get ariel views 1000's of miles from land! Entrancing!!! <;~O
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2018 at 01:53 AM

[/rquote]

Sorry. Not trying to be negative. Just being realistic in order to help someone who has never flown before not lose their drone. "Just spend half a day watching YouTube videos before you fly it." This is truly bad advice. These drones will fly out of the box but you're risking a crash if you do not calibrate the compass and IMU and perform the updates. And if you've never flown R/C before watching youtube videos does not give you the skills to safely fly a quadcopter forwards, backwards, toward yourself or out of line of sight or in variable wind conditions. Yes, DJI is marketing the Mavic Air to beginners and that is great. The point I'm trying to make for people new to drones is take it step by step. A toy drone is not a waste of time and money. They fly just like the larger drones as far as stick input goes. I recommend something like the syma x5c-1, though it's more than $30.

Interesting to see you double down with terrible advice.

[Edited on 1-25-2018 by JZ]
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2018 at 05:44 AM

Still pictures from drones, especially from higher elevations, can have a lot of haze in them that washes out the color and detail. I've been using a program called Affinity Photo. It's an excellent and inexpensive photo editing program that can reduce haze and bring out the original detail and color.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2018 at 09:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
I wouldn’t spend $1000 on a drone. I know from watching videos and watching the neighbors,... drones are a novelty, after a while you get board of aerial shots, voyuerism and fussy gadgets, and then $1000 toy just gathers dust in garage.

Best bet is to buy them off CL. In 6 to 9 months you'll probably be able to get one for $500. Can always resell them, just like camera equipment.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-25-2018 at 11:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
..... get one for $500. Can always resell them, just like camera equipment.

JZ
I have four 35 mm cameras and sets of various lenses....wanna buy them? :lol:

Don't believe everything you think....
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2018 at 10:43 PM

Interesting to see you double down with terrible advice.

[Edited on 1-25-2018 by JZ][/rquote]

Not sure why you're so negative. Why is caution based on more experience than you terrible advice?

[Edited on 1-29-2018 by gringorio]

Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 1-29-2018 at 03:19 PM

The DJI drones are extremely easy to fly. The potential pitfalls (taking off, landing, returning to home) are fully automated. You just press a button and stand back and watch. And be astounded. If you want one just do it and don't be talked out of it. The pics and movies you can get will amaze you. It's like hollywood talent in the palm of your hand.
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2018 at 09:58 PM

The DJI drones are extremely easy to fly. The potential pitfalls (taking off, landing, returning to home) are fully automated. You just press a button and stand back and watch. And be astounded. If you want one just do it and don't be talked out of it. The pics and movies you can get will amaze you. It's like hollywood talent in the palm of your hand.

I'm looking forward to the crash videos. :o

For anyone new to flying r/c or the DJI drones, I recommend you to check out these forums first in order to understand the details of flying these drones:

Phantom Pilots: https://phantompilots.com/

Mavic and Mavic Air: https://mavicpilots.com/

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.