BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Pemex Warning.... Mulege....
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2018 at 03:39 PM
Pemex Warning.... Mulege....

...I'm pretty sure the Pemex on highway, just south of Mulege is ripping at least 20 to 25% over the actual liter count., possibly as much as 1/3!!!!
I keep a tight watch on fuel consumption , with a chart that shows me liter range for mileage done. Either I suddenly went to ~13mpg from a steady average of 23 to 26mpg,, or this station is ripping HARD!!!!

This is also the first station I've come across that wouldn't issue a proper printed receipt,, just a hand scrawl of the total pesos. <;~\

[Edited on 1-24-2018 by micah202]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-24-2018 at 03:52 PM

Yep, I concur that this station is able to put over 21 liters in a 19 liter can, no problem. The little station in town is reportedly owned by the same man, so no other choices here.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2018 at 04:27 PM

...I've taken a strategy of filling when possible by the time I'm half tank,, that way nobody gets --too-- much of a windfall. <;~l
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2018 at 04:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Yep, I concur that this station is able to put over 21 liters in a 19 liter can, no problem. The little station in town is reportedly owned by the same man, so no other choices here.

We're you able to confront the situation when it's as overt as that?
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 1-24-2018 at 04:41 PM

LOL!! Confront it with whom? They have been doing this for YEARS!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-24-2018 at 04:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by micah202  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

We're you able to confront the situation when it's as overt as that?

Oh no, I was in no way assuming I could change their business practice... It is just the cost of driving in Baja. It is just a "local tax" and less than the gas tax forced on us here in California, recently! I feel sad for Mexican citizens who live in the area, cannot afford to drive around on vacation, and have not stood up to or even bother to protest this con. Profecta is supposed to check pumps and fine violators. Baja is just so remote for too much of this consumer protection, it seems?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2018 at 05:29 PM

Mordida arriba...

willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2018 at 07:42 PM

There has been protests, boycotts, video recordings on FB etc. After the last surge of FB videos and fotos, the in town station closed for a week, rumored to be closed by the owner. Driving to SR to fill up is still cheaper than Mulege. ( if you know which stations in SR are legit)
chumlee57
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2018 at 08:28 PM
Mulege pemex

I don't go to mulege that often for gas, typically SR pemex just north of the harbor, but never to the one just south of town past the tope on the right, that one will pull the ol "Hey, ur tire is low on air over here" trick. Not much of anything anybody can do, but post it here for people to see, stay alert and thirsty my friends
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2018 at 10:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willyAirstream  
There has been protests, boycotts, video recordings on FB etc. After the last surge of FB videos and fotos, the in town station closed for a week, rumored to be closed by the owner. Driving to SR to fill up is still cheaper than Mulege. ( if you know which stations in SR are legit)

That in-town station is currently closed, not sure the reason, but there's yellow-tape across the entrance.

I don't really expect muchwhen it comes to confronting a 'situation',, but wondered what they reply to something as clear-cut as more liters than a certified container will hold,lol.

Certainly I appreciate knowing any stations further south that are worth avoiding. <;~]
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2018 at 10:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chumlee57  
I don't go to mulege that often for gas, typically SR pemex just north of the harbor, but never to the one just south of town past the tope on the right, that one will pull the ol "Hey, ur tire is low on air over here" trick. Not much of anything anybody can do, but post it here for people to see, stay alert and thirsty my friends

...seemed like the SR station just to south of town cut a square deal on fuel for me this time.

...methinks I'll ask for a specific # of liters in the future., that way, if a station is undershooting their liters, I'll make a minimum 'tax' for fuelling up. <;~l
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2018 at 11:11 PM

To check their pumps, bring along an empty 5 gallon gas can and have them fill that first. It should hold 18.927 liters, or very close to 19 liters. If more there is a problem and deal with it as you will.

[Edited on 1-25-2018 by LancairDriver]
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2018 at 08:41 AM

Well, arguing with the guy at the pump is kinda like complaining to the checkout person at Walmart about a price you were charged for an item.. He/she has no control over what you are charged or receive as they are only the end to the means.
Of course they can report the complaints to mgmt. or the owner but you are not going to get any action at the POS...
I am sure he/she has heard it over and over and over but just collect their basic pay and what ever they can maybe skim out of your change.
and not all do that....
Mulege stations have been notorious for this for many years... my 18L can always can hold about 21L .
We were always told to watch which pump most of the locals go to as it might not be adjusted the same... don't know if that is fact but is a good story, not sure the owner cares either way.

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2018 at 08:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
To check their pumps, bring along an empty 5 gallon gas can and have them fill that first. It should hold 18.927 liters, or very close to 19 liters. If less there is a problem and deal with it as you will.

Don't you mean if there is more than 19 liters registered there is a problem?

John
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2018 at 08:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtnpop  

Mulege stations have been notorious for this for many years... my 18L can always can hold about 21L .
We were always told to watch which pump most of the locals go to as it might not be adjusted the same... don't know if that is fact but is a good story, not sure the owner cares either way.

well,, come to think of it,, there was a line up of cars at one pump, a cone in front of another.... just as we pulled up, a fellow 'kindly' ran over, opened up the 2nd pump.... 'just for us'!! <;~/
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2018 at 09:21 AM

BUT! Its really GOOD gas!

Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2018 at 09:47 AM

One of the worst, well known for many years.
For a bit of humor ask if they have "litros completos".
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2018 at 10:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
To check their pumps, bring along an empty 5 gallon gas can and have them fill that first. It should hold 18.927 liters, or very close to 19 liters. If less there is a problem and deal with it as you will.

Don't you mean if there is more than 19 liters registered there is a problem?

John

Thanks John, my error. I edited less to more on the post.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2018 at 10:57 AM

I carry the clear 5 gallon plastic gas can used by most off road motorcycle riders. They are marked in liters and gallons. When I have them filled at a PEMEX station I ask for 20 liters.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-25-2018 at 11:17 AM

At the Pemex just west of the La Paz airport turn off, you may be directed to the center set of pumps. They are tank stretchers! The locals don't use them, you shouldn't either! (year old info)

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.