Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: hearing aids
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2018 at 07:01 PM
hearing aids

My mom has asked me to help her check into hearing aids while we are in La Paz.

Any recommendations? Is there such a thing as a Cadillac vs. VW hearing aid?

TIA

(Thanks In Advance)

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2018 at 07:45 PM

Blanca,

I don't know about La Paz, but in the states, the Costco hearing aids are great and about 1/2 the price as elsewhere.

And, every time you visit Costco, you can have them cleaned. Also, they are guaranteed for 3 years for any problem! And they can be adjusted several times.

Needless to say, we are very happy with Costco even though we have to drive 200 miles to visit our Costco. Your mom lives a lot closer to Costcos. Not all have the hearing center.

Oh, when John's had a slight problem with the battery doors, they just replaced them with new ones ---- no problem. Check it out if you have not done so.

The testing is free.

[Edited on 1-30-2018 by DianaT]
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2018 at 11:49 AM

I second everything Diana has to say about Costco. The only better deal is if you are a veteran and get hearing aids for free through the VA. The people working the Costco hearing aid section don’t have an axe to grind by working on commission and pushing you into the highest dollar model.
taoswheat
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2018 at 06:51 PM
Another vote for Costco for Hearing Aids

ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 1-30-2018 at 06:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
I second everything Diana has to say about Costco. The only better deal is if you are a veteran and get hearing aids for free through the VA. The people working the Costco hearing aid section don’t have an axe to grind by working on commission and pushing you into the highest dollar model.

I agree with everything said above, however they (Costco) let me "test drive" a pair of their $1600 models and then I test drove a pair of the better brands, also sold my Costco and the difference was night and day for me. I spent the $3000 for the upgraded models which was still far less than at an audiologist.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2018 at 07:16 PM

wow, this is awesome news.

thanks so much, everyone!

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 1-31-2018 at 02:36 PM

these are only $25USA
maybe all she really needs

ebay has rechargeable hearing aids for $30

ear.jpg.png - 121kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2018 at 02:38 PM

boy, who knew. thanks all.

Come visit La Bocana

tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2018 at 06:09 PM

Whaaat?! Prolly about one and half hours from La Paz. Get a great lunch on porch of Costco Cabo overlooking The Bahia y El Arco. or Mike's famous RoadHouse/ No Bad Days right next door!!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-31-2018 at 06:15 PM

Unless the hearing aids are made in Mexico, they are probably more expensive than they would be at a US Costco. At least that seems to be the case with any other imported electronics I was looking at in the Cabo Costco.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
stiladam
Nomad

Mood: Acoustic

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 10:47 AM

Here's a link with a variety of options.

The VW version (at the chagrin of the hearing care industry) would be the hunters hearing aids available from Cabellas/Bass Pro Shops, or the "audio amplifiers" from China in the $10+ range

https://clark.com/health-health-care/finding-the-hearing-aid...

[Edited on 2-1-2018 by stiladam]
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 11:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by stiladam  
Here's a link with a variety of options.

The VW version (at the chagrin of the hearing care industry) would be the hunters hearing aids available from Cabellas/Bass Pro Shops, or the "audio amplifiers" from China in the $10+ range

https://clark.com/health-health-care/finding-the-hearing-aid...

[Edited on 2-1-2018 by stiladam]

You get what you pay for. Huge difference in audio amplifiers vs custom tuned hearing aids fine tuned by the pros at Costco to compensate for your individual hearing loss. My company recently bought Costco hearing aids for an individual who tried probably all the cheap amplifiers out there and now can’t believe the difference.
stiladam
Nomad

Mood: Acoustic

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 12:28 PM

[/rquote]

You get what you pay for. Huge difference in audio amplifiers vs custom tuned hearing aids fine tuned by the pros at Costco to compensate for your individual hearing loss. My company recently bought Costco hearing aids for an individual who tried probably all the cheap amplifiers out there and now can’t believe the difference.[/rquote]

There's no doubt those cheap options are more of the Yugo than the VW :tumble:
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 12:57 PM

Mom will go to Costco in San Diego when she goes back at the end of the month. Easy peasy. Brilliant (as the British say).

Come visit La Bocana

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 05:08 AM

You should see about making an appointment at the Costco she is planning on going to. Walk up exams are almost impossible to get.

I have resisted a hearing aid for a few years now. Part of it is when we are traveling in the States, we go by a Costco to see about an exam and the next available appointment is many days away. They are that popular. We are usually moving on.

At least, that's the way it was a couple years ago.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 08:27 AM

My hearing has degenerate a lot especially when using my cell phone. Clarity was muffled and seldom could I get the whole conversation. My new hearing aids were sick expensive with no nearby Costco where we live in the states. What I have are high end aids that when a call comes the audio goes directly to my ears with outside sound mostly defeated. This is possible with an App for my IPhone. Any old out of service IPhone will work and they are cheap. (not android)
The app also has self programming for special events like Music, but the audiologist can make custom programs for choosing with the button on the ear piece. Life is not good. My good friend has the version that Costco sells and he reports the same benefits with lower cost.
Sr.vienes
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 08:56 AM

I’m pretty sure that the people that started making the print smaller in books a few years ago have all go together and started talking quieter now.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 11:17 AM

Looked around Costco's Hearing Aid Dep't yesterday as my hearing isn't what it used to be....WOW....$1500 for one unit seems to be price range....it sure takes a bite out of the wallet....

Don't believe everything you think....

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.