Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Theeey're Back!
Dave
Elite Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 2-27-2005 at 09:35 AM
Theeey're Back!

Brought to you by YOUR dope using countrymen and funded by YOUR tax dollars:

The military checkpoint at the Rosarito toll gate has returned.

I guess some commander got a hot tip that the mafioso was no longer using the toll road for drug shipments.;)

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2005 at 01:35 PM

I wonder why they closed that one for a while, but well, got to show the drug war is going somewhere.
Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 2-28-2005 at 02:30 PM

Hey Einstein, Why don't you tell everyone what MENSA is?:lol:
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2005 at 03:10 PM

I don't know about Einstein, but as Groucho Marx said, I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member. Even a dating service for geeks (it does sound enticing, but I went to one of their parties once and it was just boring as hell).
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2005 at 04:04 PM
Spitballs

When I was a kid my mom was a fourth grade teacher and had a well-deserved reputation as the meanest teacher in the school. One of her favorite punishments was to make spitballers stay after school and make spitballs nonstop for two hours. Worst cottonmouth ever. On the bright side, there were never any repeat offenders, and probably no permanent physical or emotional damage.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2005 at 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Me No
Hey Einstein, Why don't you tell everyone what MENSA is?:lol:

This is not the off topic section, if you want to say something to me use the PM button, if not, stay on topic.

pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2005 at 07:57 PM

seems to me that the checkpoints in various places are "seasonal" eg, many more in the summer, i presume due to more tourist traffic, than in the winter.spring is soon upon us, along with easter and spring break, so maybe there will be more checkpoints at this time compared to the winter months.just a thought....
Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 3-1-2005 at 08:31 PM

Crossed from San Felipe to Ensenada on Saturday. Two more check points than going over on Friday.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2005 at 10:49 PM

The checkpoint was'nt there today when I went North:D

BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2005 at 12:59 AM
checkpoint

why are you worried about checkpoints If you are not doing anything wrong Whats The Problem. Its just another part of Baja, Part of the adventure. They are just doing there job, give um a soda or two its hot and dirty standing out on the roads of Baja.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-4-2005 at 08:34 AM

Yah, no kidding BajaDanD!

(photo by seatwill)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2005 at 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
The checkpoint was'nt there today when I went North:D

That's because they were expecting a large drug shipment to pass through.;D

White Angel
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2005 at 11:24 AM

I, for one, am always a little nervous around teenagers with automatic weapons. Since I speak very little Spanish (granted, that's my fault) and cannot communicate; that adds a bit to the stress level. What I really mind though, is that the searches appear pointless. Do they ever catch anyone with a "shipment?" Once, on the way to Bahia Tortugas (at least on hour from anywhere and a hour since we even saw another vehicle) we came upon a check point. Since the lads had nothing else to do all afternoon; they pretty much emptied out the vehicle. Searched under the rugs and seats; open all the bags etc. BUT they never even looked inside three large duffels we had on the roof!! I was angry enough at that point to try and suggest they do just that; since if we were smuggling more than a pack of cigarettes; odds are the stuff would be in bulk and likely in a duffle on the roof! I can recall when there were no road blocks; when the eagle at the 28th stradled a school. That was the Baja I fell in love with; not dealing with the military every day. It has become apart of the experience; but not a pleasant part.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2005 at 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaDanD
why are you worried about checkpoints If you are not doing anything wrong Whats The Problem. They are just doing there job...

The point is that I'm NOT doing anything wrong. And I'm not worried, just inconvenienced and annoyed. Those of us who don't use illegal drugs are penalized because of P-nche gringos who do.

The Mexican military is doing a job that rightfully should be done by the U.S., and on the other side of the border.

lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2005 at 12:37 PM

Hey Dave,

The drug shipment info. was probably why it took forever to get through the line at the border. Everyone was checked.....

White Angel
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2005 at 01:27 PM
What really IS the point?

As a newcomer to the board; can I ask seriously what is the point of the "checkpoints"? Are they done to placate the US government, or perhaps to grab an isolated gun runner? If they were really after drugs; wouldn't there be drug sniffing dogs? Would any organized effort to smuggle dope be silly enough to zip along the Baja in USA registered SUV's or RV's? Perhaps the US gov pays on a "per stop" basis? I'm not trying to be a wiseguy-just wondering why this continues when it seems so pointless and yet annoying.
GeoRock
Nomad

Mood: Always have one

[*] posted on 3-11-2005 at 01:56 PM

I make no excuses for my shameful actions.

http://reinventmyself.isagenix.com
For rapid weight loss; building of lean muscle for athletes; and overall improved health through nutritional cleansing.
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 3-11-2005 at 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by White Angel
I, for one, am always a little nervous around teenagers with automatic weapons.

That is a condescending description that never fails to get my dander up a bit. Forty some years ago I was one of those "teenagers with automatic weapons." and there are still many US troops all around the world that fit that description. One of the things that has always impressed me is that those Mexican troops while camped in remote locations always appear in clean uniforms and their weapons while older always appear clean and well cared for. Remember that they are out there doing their service for their country just like our troops. You and I may not agree with the policies that put them at those checkpoints but those decisions are not made by the soldiers. Like others here I'm sure that I've been through hundreds of checkpoints over the years and I can't think of even one serious problem that I have experienced. I've heard secondhand of problems others have had but that is not my experience.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2005 at 04:26 PM
Ditto that

I agree with Kurt. I've never had a problem, and I've never seen them singling out SUVs with U.S. plates for searches. If anything, those kinds of vehicles (unless they have surfboards on top) seem to get a pass more often than the panel trucks carrying fish to market, the little pickups overloaded with junk, the long haul semitrucks, busses, you name it.

I think those "teenagers" who are doing their thankless jobs far from home deserve a little respect. They are also there to nab people with illegal weapons, a laudable goal, and they grab drunk drivers as well from time to time, likely saving lives as a result. The political reasons for them being there can be debated, but they are there and you might as well roll with it. I use it as an opportunity to improve my crappy Spanish.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.