BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bahía de los Ángeles to San Francisquito
kbrauner

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 08:39 PM
Bahía de los Ángeles to San Francisquito

Does anyone have semi-current information on the road from Bahía de los Ángeles to San Francisquito (through San Rafael)?
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 09:27 PM

Welcome to the sandbox. I have not been There in about 4 months or so, my info is outdated. I looks like you're planing a great trip.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 10:01 PM

Rode from BoLA to San Rafael in late December. Camped on the beach and rode back to BoLA the next day. It's a fast, easy ride/drive. We did San Rafael to San Fransciquito the year before. Easy going.

Pro tip: they sell wood and fireworks at the market in BoLA. Loaded half my truck up with wood and made a huge fire on the beach. We got Pancho a little drunk.

Pics from December:

[Edited on 2-4-2018 by JZ]
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 10:06 PM

great images!

which drone?

Harald Pietschmann
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 10:10 PM

Mavic. Those are screen shots from video.

Since you live in La Paz you might want to check out the La Paz video I just shot.

https://youtu.be/EeM1YBUvEJU

[Edited on 2-3-2018 by JZ]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-3-2018 at 12:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by kbrauner  
Does anyone have semi-current information on the road from Bahía de los Ángeles to San Francisquito (through San Rafael)?

Fair to fast except for the one grade up, south of San Rafael. Give Pancho at San Rafael some business. He is a very hospitable man who has lived there many years. The one grade is rough, but done slow, you should be fine. It was a year ago, drove it twice.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2018 at 09:04 AM

Pancho is a great host, always walks out with a cold beer in hand! One of these days I will camp there for a few days, the place is like a post card! I will be there in March for a visit on my moto.. Jz, you are getting some awesome pictures and views of the areas I love to ride please post some more!

[Edited on 2-3-2018 by advrider]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2018 at 10:30 AM
Here's Pancho!

Pancho's kitchen.

Pancho's Landscaping

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2018 at 06:36 PM

Here's the beach at SR.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2018 at 09:47 PM
Roads

On 1/20 the roads were good all the way to Beto's place and to the other beach near the airport. Typical graded road.
======
kbrauner

[*] posted on 2-13-2018 at 08:47 PM

Paul W.: I am relatively unfamiliar with the area. Could you explain where "Beto's place" and "the airport" are? I don't see them on the map of David K. Thank you for this comment and other comments of yours to me.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2018 at 09:08 PM

Paul W.: I am relatively unfamiliar with the area. Could you explain where "Beto's place" and "the airport" are? I don't see them on the map of David K. Thank you for this comment and other comments of yours to me.

If you don't mind my answering, Beto's is Puerto San Francisquito and the airstrip is next door at Punta San Francisquito.

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2018 at 09:19 PM

David,
From the looks of your fourth photo, it might be safe to guess that Caracoles are a staple of Pancho's diet.
P>*))))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2018 at 09:27 PM

Yes, lots of murex shells for sure!

kbrauner

[*] posted on 3-29-2018 at 08:27 PM

On March 9, I drove from Bahia de los Angeles to Hwy 1 via Rafael, San Francisquito, and El Arco. From El Arco to reach Hwy 1, I traveled due south and then southwest. The portion from Bahia de los Angeles to San Francisquito was the worst. The portion from San Francisquito to Hwy via El Arco was a dream. I was able to travel 50 miles per hour quite frequently on that stretch. I was driving a 2007 Toyota 4Runner. As I recall I needed its clearance and probably its 4-wheel drive (in any case I used it) for the drive to San Francisquito, but not thereafter. My times were as follows:
Bahia de los Angeles to San Rafael - 2.5 hrs
San Rafael to San Francisquito - 1 hr
San Francisquito to El Arco - 2 hrs
El Arco to Hwy 1 - 1 hr
(For the unaware: all of these roads are unpaved.)

[Edited on 3-30-2018 by kbrauner]
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 3-29-2018 at 10:59 PM

Thanks, finally a up to date road report.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Cappy
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2018 at 05:59 AM

I am heading north from cabo end of April (flexible ) I would like to do Hwy 1 thru el arco to bola. Looking to see if anyone would want to caravan this route???? I am in a 4X4 Van
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 3-30-2018 at 06:59 AM

I drove that route last week in our Explorer. As reported above the road from Francisquito to Hwy 1 through El Arco is in very good shape. From BOLA to Francisquito is quite good except for the rocky ascent south of San Rafael and a bit thereafter. I used 4wd a couple of times but really didn't need to. I think a 2wd with decent clearance would be fine.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.