BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Who loves to build big fires on the beach?
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2018 at 12:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Excess has its limits....

Big fires leave a bigger scar on the beach...smaller fires allow the wood supply to last longer, a person can stand/sit closer, and one to still have an enjoyable experience.... :light:

Hate to tell you Dudley (Doright) but the most impressive fire I´ve ever seen on a beach was in Tofino B.C. after a frigid surf sesh and it was started by local Canuckacans.:yes:

Where were you and your rule book?

[Edited on 2-4-2018 by motoged]
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 2-4-2018 at 01:02 PM

Best and BIGGEST fire I’ve ever seen was at Burning Man ....
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2018 at 01:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Too bad being sensible doesn't work for some folks....you asked the question and got yer answers....suck it up.:biggrin:

Here's one from out here in California last weekend. I think we burned an entire tree, or two, that night.

[Edited on 2-4-2018 by JZ]
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-4-2018 at 01:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

Where were you and your rule book?

Chippy,
People all over the place like a good fire...just because others do it doesn't mean it is the way to go...don't need Burning Man to get warm....

And it's not a rule book that is rigid in application....just voting for sensibility....

This isn't a tree-hugger issue...lots of folks on either side of the conversation....and some in between.....time and place for many things in life....:light:

Don't believe everything you think....
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2018 at 01:21 PM

I agree but to each his own(fire size);)
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-4-2018 at 01:52 PM

I am a bit far away from any beach, but I have built some pretty large fires this year. It helps having a D-6 dozer to pile up the slash and brush!

I rarely build a fire on the beach when it is just me and my dog. With another person, or a small group, a small fire is great. With more people, the fire should grow accordingly.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-4-2018 at 02:50 PM

I enjoyed some really nice mesquite fires in the yard at my rental in Asuncion last year....the local dogs who routinely came by to visit for a snack or ear rub seemed all to be nervous/fearful of the fire and would warily keep clear....wouldn't get closer than 10-20 feet....

Don't believe everything you think....
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 2-4-2018 at 04:37 PM

This thead reminds me of the evening gatherings at the Farleigh Airstream camp fires, stories, claims, and comaraderie among friends, and about to meet new friends as they wandered into the Rattle Snake beach camping area. Doubt if it even allowed anymore on this beach. I remember Alma who had the r.v. park at Tripui hated our not being in HER campground. Made our lives miserable with closing road down, sicking military on us, sending Fonatur out to say we can't camp there, and on and on. Truly miss those days.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2018 at 06:15 PM

"guys whining about a beach bonfire ...."
He started it.

You left no trace right?
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 2-4-2018 at 06:27 PM

sure I am all for small eco fires (man, how I hate the word "eco" though)
and for cooking at the beach, small fires rule

however, fires are also a celebration (remind you, Christmas is one of those)

and it's a man thing
hunting down a big tree, too big to carry, for the fire at the beach

we laughed, we drank, told some jokes and enjoyed the company
we talked for days about THAT fire

[Edited on 2-5-2018 by 4x4abc]

Harald Pietschmann
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 2-5-2018 at 06:41 PM

[rquote=1109118&tid=89244&author=chippy

Love those Baja yucca fires(except for the occasional alacran that comes scurrying out). ;D

[Edited on 2-4-2018 by woody with a view][/rquote][/

My kids call those smokers :lol:
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 2-5-2018 at 06:59 PM

if you have brittle bush (incienso) in the area, add it to the fire.
Smells divine!

Harald Pietschmann
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 2-5-2018 at 08:49 PM

We'd occasionally see a big fire after one of the palapa restaurents got a new roof. They would burn the fronds. We used to enjoy small after dinner fires, as long as the smoke wasn't too bad. Recall a fire we had in the hills near Santiago, Baja Sud. Not a lot of preparation had been done before hand and as the fire wore down we searched fo more wood. We dragged back a long- downed, big cactus. One of our visitors began to cough, and soon left, he'd had enough of the creosote- smell of the cactus. We should have known better than to drag that thing back!
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2018 at 08:03 AM

... and if your fire isn't bright enough you can always add an old VW engine case :biggrin:

In Memory of E-57
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2018 at 12:14 PM

In two weeks we will be camping for a long dirt-bike-riding weekend at a secure and undisclosed location in the southeastern California desert. That white dot is our 8' wide firepit. Mesquite and ironwood are plentiful in the area. There is also brittle bush in the area, so we might try 4x4abc's suggestion (thanks!). Also looking forward to the spring bloom and starry, new moon skies.

bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2018 at 09:18 PM

We build fires to burn the trash we collect on the beach. I build a big enough one to burn all the plastic and then I add enough wood to make a pile of coals which I keep pushing into the center of the firering. I never use rocks to line the firering, just build it on the sand. In the morning, aftter it is all burnt out, I remove the ashes with a shovel and scatter them back in the bushes behind the beach. Then I go back and fill the fire ring in with sand. You would not know there had been a fire there.

Recently used someone elses fire pit that they had lined with rocks. After I let it all turn to ash and scattered the ash, I removed the rocks and burried them in the sand. No evidence of fire left.

I'm and old Park Ranger that has cleaned up way more than my share of the messes people leave at campsites.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 3-16-2018 at 09:33 PM

I once found an extra large turd, just laying there on the beach, I did my part and buried it also .......
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 3-16-2018 at 10:01 PM

rocks?

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2018 at 11:15 PM

Interesting to read this through again.

What a bunch of losers stuck at home in places like Kansas crying about a fire on a beach in Baja.

3 weeks from today we are going to build the biggest fire possible on the North point of Isla Angel de la Guarda. I'll drink a beer thinking about all you.

[Edited on 3-17-2018 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-17-2018 at 10:33 AM
Take a lesson from us!

After 5 months working on San Clemente Island instead of barging our excess construction materials back to the mainland we used the Navy Divers fire pit to have one last hurrah. Here we are before and after on the east side facing San Diego at NOTS Pier. Such a great jobsite!!!

rsz_dscn1864.jpg - 134kBrsz_1dscn1870.jpg - 118kB

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.