BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: HAVING COFFEE WITH CAPTAIN MIKE!
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2018 at 09:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
Used Papa's strip in Gonzaga many times back in the day. When Papa was there! Used the Diaz strip right in town in BOLA too. AH the good ol' days.

My dad and I flew into BOLA and landed on that strip back in 1973. Had to "buzz" the landing strip to get all the people and vehicles clear before landing. I was only 15 so it was quite an adventure. Stayed at Casa Diaz.

John
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-9-2018 at 09:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
Used Papa's strip in Gonzaga many times back in the day. When Papa was there! Used the Diaz strip right in town in BOLA too. AH the good ol' days.

My dad and I flew into BOLA and landed on that strip back in 1973. Had to "buzz" the landing strip to get all the people and vehicles clear before landing. I was only 15 so it was quite an adventure. Stayed at Casa Diaz.

John

Here is a video of the last twin to land at the original L.A. Bay/ Papa Diaz runway before it was closed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV1Ly217dis

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2018 at 11:32 AM

When we flew baja in the late 60's the practice was to buzz the airstrip first to see if burros or cows were around.
It always seemed there was a hump in the middle of the strip and you got to land twice each time.
We could tie the plane down in five minutes when we saw a chubasco coming.
Those were the days

Es Todo Bueno
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-9-2018 at 01:34 PM

The dirt runway was closed and was already part of the town when I first visited. But you could still see it a little.
I stayed at Casa Diaz. Seems like it was the only place back then but it wasn't.
So small and tropical desert feeling. Exotic.
Still is.
I hope the paved runway hasn't deteriorated. It was still fairly fresh and new first time I flew in.
You still buzz town but that is so the taxi knows to come pick you up.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2018 at 06:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by capt. mike  
Wow all this banter sure makes me miss Baja flying. I started in 1978 in rented Cherokee 180s. Then in a Mooney exec in 1985 when I joined the Flying Sams. Then the magical Comanche 250 war horse in 1995, my steed until I parted with her in 2017 August. I have plenty of time on dirt. In fact I prefer dirt. It means smaller towns.

Hey Capt. Mike! Saw this thread and wanted to say thanks for the great flight way back when to the sea turtle conference in Loreto. I forget the year now. Tucson to Rocky Point then over the Colorado River Delta, then some small dirt strip for tacos before getting to Loreto. Will always remember that flight - thank you!

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.