Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Boat Launching Options in Asuncion
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2018 at 09:40 PM
Boat Launching Options in Asuncion

Good day. I hope to bring my 17' Gregor aluminum boat to Asuncion this summer for the fishing. What are the launching options there? Is there a launch ramp there? If not, where is the best place to put the boat in the water. I plan on taking it out of the water everyday after fishing. Thanks..
Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2018 at 04:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by drzura  
Good day. I hope to bring my 17' Gregor aluminum boat to Asuncion this summer for the fishing. What are the launching options there? Is there a launch ramp there? If not, where is the best place to put the boat in the water. I plan on taking it out of the water everyday after fishing. Thanks..

There are three spots to launch and land in Asuncion. I would not consider any of them a launch ramp. More like semi protected coves. Two have a good firm beach that you can get on and off with a 2wd vehicle. The third you would need an aired down 4wd. If you plan on floating the boat off and on, you will not be able to launch and land without getting your back tires wet, even with a trailer with a long tongue. If you boat is light enough to horse it off the trailer and winch it back on then it become easier but probably a 3 person job. While the launch areas are protected, there is always some swell that you have to deal with so two folks would have to keep the stern facing offshore while a third winches.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-5-2018 at 06:28 AM

get a set of these for your trailer...

even if the boat is out the water when launching or loading
you can get it on and off the trailer

just bolt them to the wood trailer bunkers...
you can take them off when traveling if you want

it'll be the best money you'll spend on your boat

trailerloading wheels.jpg - 77kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 2-5-2018 at 10:35 AM
Good Question

It would be interesting to know if the "Loading/Unloading" exemption is written down in legal terms somewhere.

It does appear to be a widely-held interpretation. Many years ago when there was a widespread increased enforcement effort, we were informed by the management @ Rancho Percebu that such was the only "legal" exemption, but Quien Sabe ?

That said, Law Enforcement in Mexico is sort of "in the eye of the enforcer" rather than the pen of the legislators.
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 2-5-2018 at 04:13 PM

drzura,
Everything Ross said and just remember you will be sharing the two "easy" launch sites with the commercial fishermen and there's one lane traffic in and out of the locations. You will need the extra hands to handle the boat while you park the tow rig and trailer. When you arrive spend the time to survey the sites prior so your launches will be smooth and seamless.

Have fun,
Lionel :cool:
Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 2-6-2018 at 08:14 AM

Google e-z glide trailer pads These are available lots of places. We used them on our trailer for a 19 ft Bayrunner Baja and they work great and no moving parts.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 2-6-2018 at 08:22 AM

The question was about loading or unloading a boat trailer in BA.

What does that have to do with a loading exemption?:?:

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
It would be interesting to know if the "Loading/Unloading" exemption is written down in legal terms somewhere.

It does appear to be a widely-held interpretation. Many years ago when there was a widespread increased enforcement effort, we were informed by the management @ Rancho Percebu that such was the only "legal" exemption, but Quien Sabe ?

That said, Law Enforcement in Mexico is sort of "in the eye of the enforcer" rather than the pen of the legislators.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 2-6-2018 at 09:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
The question was about loading or unloading a boat trailer in BA.

What does that have to do with a loading exemption?:?:

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  

Actually I think that may be in answer to my question in another thread. I was asking for an official reference to the legality of driving on the beach only for loading/unloading of boats.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 2-6-2018 at 12:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaRat  
drzura,
Everything Ross said and just remember you will be sharing the two "easy" launch sites with the commercial fishermen and there's one lane traffic in and out of the locations. You will need the extra hands to handle the boat while you park the tow rig and trailer. When you arrive spend the time to survey the sites prior so your launches will be smooth and seamless.

Have fun,
Lionel :cool:

the launch area at the "Y" is often completely blocked by boats hauled out so be prepared for either not being able to launch there or pull your boat out...so a good anchor.

Also if you use the fishing cooperativa launch spot please be considerate and do not interfere with the fishermen leaving in the morning. You should always wait until they are all out before you use it. It is not a public ramp and they could refuse use of it if tourists are inconsiderate.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2018 at 12:46 PM

Hi Drzura,

We have been launching a 16'6" Bayrunner off of the Asuncion beaches for a couple of years, probably half-a-hundred launches and retrievals. Your Gregor likely weighs at least as much, if not more than ours (425# including motor); you will not be able to drop it on the sand and drag it into the surf to launch unless you enlist half the village to help.

For a boat this size, launching is easier than retrieving. Back up while dodging the million pangas parked haphazardly on the beach.
You'll need to push the boat off the trailer as you won't be able to float it off unless you have about a 20' extension. Have someone go park the car. These aren't boat ramps, they're beaches, so even with an extension, you may have to go in further than you'd like or dump the boat halfway off the trailer and then pull the trailer out from under it. No problem in benign conditions. Throw in some wind and waves and it becomes less simple (picture your boat half-off the trailer with the transom low and shore break coming over the transom).

We usually retrieve by backing the trailer into the water and just dipping the rear tires of the car. When arriving onshore, bring it near the beach but not onto. Shallow-water drive for the motor so you don't stick the skeg in the sand. Drop one passenger. That person gets the car. The other holds the boat holds the boat away from the beach break (either by motoring back out or with a long line). Back the trailer down - again, you can't really float on. You can get the bow on (maybe), QUICKLY attach the winch strap, and winch it on. A keel roller is absolutely necessary here. When it's calm, this is by far the easiest way to get the boat in.

However, sometimes the best (or only) option is to run up on the beach and winch it onto the trailer. You really need to be set up to do both. Tides change, wind waves change, and you might not be able to back in without sinking your car (or having your boat thrown into the back of it). A tilt trailer would help a lot but it can be done with a strong winch and strong back. In this case just gun it up onto the sand and hope you don't hit anything hard (a real issue at the coop launch at low tide).

We had a little mishap last week - first one in several dozen launches. Misjudged the conditions and decided to load in the water. Throw in a few miscommunications about who was doing what, and it did not take more than a few seconds to end up with a couple of waves over the transom. Had to winch it up with more than several gallons of water in the back. Luckily we have a 2,500# winch and similarly-rated strap.

Of course this only happens when you have an audience, right rossman? :D

A smaller boat (13-14') which weighs only a few hundred pounds is much easier to launch and retrieve as you can do all the important bits from the safety of the sand and then just drag it into the water (or winch it onto the trailer) when you're ready. We had a 14'er before this one and it was far easier to deal with. However, it felt real small 6-8 miles out or whenever the wind came up even a bit.

Though the roller bunks and slide bunks are handy (we have the Ez-glide version of the latter) and do help a lot with unloading as well as moving the boat forward on the trailer in the loading process, they don't help a bit with the critical moments of getting the boat started up onto the trailer. You will want a large self-centering keel roller or other smooth bumper on your rear trailer crossmember.

I'll second BajaRat's comment - though the locals here are AWESOME about helping with any issues you may have, please try to stay clear of their launches during their departure and unloading times.

[Edited on 2-6-2018 by chavycha]

Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2018 at 07:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chavycha  
Hi Drzura,

We have been launching a 16'6" Bayrunner off of the Asuncion beaches for a couple of years, probably half-a-hundred launches and retrievals. Your Gregor likely weighs at least as much, if not more than ours (425# including motor); you will not be able to drop it on the sand and drag it into the surf to launch unless you enlist half the village to help.

For a boat this size, launching is easier than retrieving. Back up while dodging the million pangas parked haphazardly on the beach.
You'll need to push the boat off the trailer as you won't be able to float it off unless you have about a 20' extension. Have someone go park the car. These aren't boat ramps, they're beaches, so even with an extension, you may have to go in further than you'd like or dump the boat halfway off the trailer and then pull the trailer out from under it. No problem in benign conditions. Throw in some wind and waves and it becomes less simple (picture your boat half-off the trailer with the transom low and shore break coming over the transom).

We usually retrieve by backing the trailer into the water and just dipping the rear tires of the car. When arriving onshore, bring it near the beach but not onto. Shallow-water drive for the motor so you don't stick the skeg in the sand. Drop one passenger. That person gets the car. The other holds the boat holds the boat away from the beach break (either by motoring back out or with a long line). Back the trailer down - again, you can't really float on. You can get the bow on (maybe), QUICKLY attach the winch strap, and winch it on. A keel roller is absolutely necessary here. When it's calm, this is by far the easiest way to get the boat in.

However, sometimes the best (or only) option is to run up on the beach and winch it onto the trailer. You really need to be set up to do both. Tides change, wind waves change, and you might not be able to back in without sinking your car (or having your boat thrown into the back of it). A tilt trailer would help a lot but it can be done with a strong winch and strong back. In this case just gun it up onto the sand and hope you don't hit anything hard (a real issue at the coop launch at low tide).

We had a little mishap last week - first one in several dozen launches. Misjudged the conditions and decided to load in the water. Throw in a few miscommunications about who was doing what, and it did not take more than a few seconds to end up with a couple of waves over the transom. Had to winch it up with more than several gallons of water in the back. Luckily we have a 2,500# winch and similarly-rated strap.

Of course this only happens when you have an audience, right rossman? :D

A smaller boat (13-14') which weighs only a few hundred pounds is much easier to launch and retrieve as you can do all the important bits from the safety of the sand and then just drag it into the water (or winch it onto the trailer) when you're ready. We had a 14'er before this one and it was far easier to deal with. However, it felt real small 6-8 miles out or whenever the wind came up even a bit.

Though the roller bunks and slide bunks are handy (we have the Ez-glide version of the latter) and do help a lot with unloading as well as moving the boat forward on the trailer in the loading process, they don't help a bit with the critical moments of getting the boat started up onto the trailer. You will want a large self-centering keel roller or other smooth bumper on your rear trailer crossmember.

I'll second BajaRat's comment - though the locals here are AWESOME about helping with any issues you may have, please try to stay clear of their launches during their departure and unloading times.

I didn't think your retrieval was all that bad Scott. Excellent teamwork was the thought I came away with. Just wish I could have helped a bit, but I was wearing my Sunday shorts and flipflops. Asuncion is not exactly the entertainment capital of Baja Sur but when there are folks in town with a 20+ foot Parker or the likes of, I like to time my mid day siesta so I can get on the bluff overlooking the ramp with my beer and beach chair when they try to get it back on the trailer. The Three Stooges can't hold a candle to some of the slapstick I've seen down there.
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 2-6-2018 at 08:48 PM

I have been at the launch twice, on a kayak and with Juan. The juice is not worth the squeeze. If I lived there, yeah. First time tourist, no. Since you are in SLC, I guess you have a lot of experience with beach launches. Hire Juan for a day or two then you should be golden.

BTW: there are rocks just below the surface at that launch.

I did see a 18foot parker launch, they seem to know the drill very well.
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 07:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Rossman  

I didn't think your retrieval was all that bad Scott. Excellent teamwork was the thought I came away with. Just wish I could have helped a bit, but I was wearing my Sunday shorts and flipflops. Asuncion is not exactly the entertainment capital of Baja Sur but when there are folks in town with a 20+ foot Parker or the likes of, I like to time my mid day siesta so I can get on the bluff overlooking the ramp with my beer and beach chair when they try to get it back on the trailer. The Three Stooges can't hold a candle to some of the slapstick I've seen down there.

You're too kind. We had dinner at the Loncheria the next day and rumor of our escapades had already spread. :bounce:

Speaking of chitshows, here's a nice video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV0XRZqDBWs

[Edited on 2-7-2018 by chavycha]
chatolj
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 09:36 AM
"Y" launch site

I have herd the "Y" referred to as the public launch spot. We don't get down there that often but it seems that the commercial net boats have kind of taken over the beach. It was a good spot and we would be out of the way. Are there two different co ops or are the boats operating at the "Y" the same as the point? I really hope that Mex 1 gets fixed so we can drag our skiffs down and provide some beach launch entertainment for you guys.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 10:11 AM

Thanks for the Deep Creek link! I have been fishing the stretch of beach just south of there since the early 80s, and have seen quite a few boats, and launch vehicles get trashed!

I won't hijack this thread with Alaska stories, except to add the fact that the tides there can be huge! Except for a brief period at slack tide, it's like launching into a river with surf!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
nbentley1
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 11:19 AM

You're too kind. We had dinner at the Loncheria the next day and rumor of our escapades had already spread. :bounce:

Great videos :)
Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 12:45 PM

Hmmmm. Wonder who else saw your retrieval. It was such a non event for me that I never even thought about it, let alone talked about it until you mentioned me as a witness in your original post.
toronja
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 03:16 PM

Hmmmm. Wonder who else saw your retrieval. It was such a non event for me that I never even thought about it, let alone talked about it until you mentioned me as a witness in your original post.

I'm not sure whether it was the retrieval or the only-slightly-less-disastrous launch, but Tomas was apparently watching from up the hill. The locals always seem entertained at the prospect of someone without cojones participating in a boat launch ;)

Sounds like you had a good day out there today!

-J
Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 06:00 PM

Check this out. Had this on my 19ft Bayrunner Baja and trailer. Works easily, back up as far as you can, jack the tongue off the hitch ball, put the 3rd wheel down, retract tongue jack, push boat/trailer into the water with a rope attached to truck/car. Push boat off, pull trailer back up. Avoid large shorebreak waves, have a beer and guacamole and watch the others poke the pooch.

https://www.pacifictrailers.com/products/5-lug-pivoting-hub-...
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 06:17 PM

Saw one in action recently and was very impressed^^^^

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.