Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 2018 Printing of Baja California Land of Missions
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-5-2018 at 06:00 PM
2018 Printing of Baja California Land of Missions

It is with a lot of pride and excitement to share the news that my 2016 book, Baja California Land of Missions has been updating in a new printing. The new books arrived from the printers today. In this fifth printing, the reader will find 17 pages containing twenty total new photographs from my travels in 2017.

By printing smaller quantities (under 500 at a time) it allows me to make edits, updates, swap in new photos, etc.

500 copies were printed in 2016 (February and May)
100 more were printed in January 2017, and 100 in August 2017, to keep up with demand.
I inserted a couple of new photos taken in 2017 into the August printing as I had been traveling much in Baja during the year of 2017. Most of the mission sites were visited after that August printing, so I didn't have more new photos to add yet.

Sunbelt Publications is the book's main distributor, and from them, it goes to bookstores, libraries, Amazon, etc. The rest are sold by M&E BOOKS at www.oldmissions.com. This is Max Kurillo's company and he made me his partner in 2012 when we co-authored The Old Missions of Baja & Alta California.

In this January 2018 printing, I was able to do many updates of the text and added 18 more new photos to complement the others and the historic photos in the book. In total, 20 pages have new text that comes from my travels last year giving current site conditions and updated driving directions to the missions.

If you order from www.oldmissions.com, you will now get the 2018 printing. Amazon and other online or bookstore sources will not have the newest printing until their stock is sold. The book is otherwise unchanged so no urgent need to replace your older copy (unless you want to, naturally, ;) ) If you purchase 10 or more books (history societies, schools, travel clubs, etc.) the books are greatly discounted. Email questions to oldmission (AT) gmail.com about this offer or other book questions.

No sales tax or U.S. shipping charges are added to purchases from www.oldmissions.com. Payment can be made using credit or debit (no need to join PayPal) or if you want, you can use PayPal. If you prefer to purchase with a check or money order, we have a PO BOX address in El Cajon for you. Books are mailed Monday-Saturday the day of or the day after we get the order.

Thank you for your interest in this historic period and in these monuments to the energy and activity of the people on the peninsula from the 1500s to the mid-1800s.

The cover is unchanged and was created by Baja Nomad 'Taco Felix' using my photos of San Ignacio and Santa María set upon the background of the 1757 Jesuit Map of California.

A couple of the updated pages:

The year of La Purísima was missing the 2 of 1720, in some previous printings... !

The text updates are primarily added driving directions after my visits in 2017. The status of Ligüí was updated, with the monument, erected around 2008/2009 now swept away by flash floods. The mission remains were eaten up by the widening arroyo in 2001.

I will share all the edits on the book's Facebook page (www.oldmissions.com), and here, soon. This is for those who already have the book, to pencil in the 2018 update notes.

Thank you!

[Edited on 2-7-2018 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 02:40 PM
What else is in it???

Here is a sample of one mission chapter, San José del Cabo:

[Page 86 not included here]

The book contains many old and new photos of the missions, historic maps, and sketches such as this one:

The chapter on lost missions may be of some entertainment, too!

Thank you for your interest. www.oldmissions.com

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.