Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6
Author: Subject: Looking for someone to tow my trailer north
Chup
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 07:53 PM
Pathetic

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Quit trying to be a cheap ass and offer someone some real money.

Gas money... lol...

I've been a lurker for while and I need to speak up.

This forum has been an extremely valuable resource to me for the entire spectrum of the "Baja experience", but I imagine too, to countless others who appreciate the wisdom of those who share their knowledge; however, this cr*p from dissenters only pollutes and confuses valid requests/questions.

Why sh*t on someone asking for help? Why trash someone's idea?

This site needs a Moderator. No, actually a few "real" Moderator's to keep posts on task, thin the shat, and tame the outcasts. Time for someone to take the time to tame the "trolls" or other fools who only have time to only want to attack others.

:light:

[Edited on 2-8-2018 by Chup]
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 07:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Chup  

I've been a lurker for while and I need to speak up.

This forum has been an extremely valuable resource to me for the entire spectrum of the "Baja experience", but I imagine too, to countless others who appreciate the wisdom of those who share their knowledge; however, this cr*p from dissenters only pollutes and confuses valid requests/questions.

Why sh*t on someone asking for help? Why trash someone's idea?

This site needs a Moderator. No, actually a few "real" Moderator's to keep posts on task, thin the shat, and tame the outcasts. Time for someone to take the time to tame the "trolls" or other fools who only have time to only want to attack others.

:light:

You have been here for 5 mins bud. Do you have any idea the risk this guy is asking someone to undertake for a couple tanks of gas.

Maybe someone speaking up will save someone a lifetime of grief and regret.
Chup
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 08:09 PM

[/rquote]

You have been here for 5 mins bud. Do you have any idea the risk this guy is asking someone to undertake for a couple tanks of gas.

Maybe someone speaking up will save someone a lifetime of grief and regret.

Like I said; i've been lurking here for awhile. My join date doesn't coincide with when I've been appreciating the wisdom of the forum.

And to be fair, yeah you've been posting here for quite sometime, but so what? What does that have to do with being a decent person? Are you too jaded to be open to provide even-handed feedback? Do you need to be an ass in slamming the OP that he MAY be asking too much? Same amount of time to type each.

I've felt it necessary to chime in b/c I think you really could have given something constructive with what I've seen in your postings, but you seem to just want to pile on - like other's have here - any MANY other postings across the board.

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 08:24 PM

I will not take a trailer to Baja. I have seen to many accidents and close calls to believe it is safe. I know 3 people who lives were changed by hitting a truck with a trailer. To ask somebody to take their trailer north is a asking them to add additional risk. I would be very worried about their stuff as well. I don'e see how this is a good idea at any price, let alone gas money. Your milage may very.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 08:58 PM

A lot of assumptions are being made, and it's mixed-in with negativity, sarcasm, and ridicule. Nothing I'm suggesting is illegal, immoral, dangerous, unjust, or unfair. I haven't mentioned anything about insurance or liability, because frankly, it's unnecessary to talk about it until I find someone who is seriously interested in taking on this task. For those of you who don't like this idea: I'm not asking for your help, and you don't have anything positive to add to this conversation, why not just let it go? You're not going to change anything by bashing me, my trailer, my idea, etc.

I very much appreciate input from those who are offering constructive criticism. On the other hand, I'm really getting sick of reading all of the insults, shaming, etc. I totally agree: This forum needs moderators.

I think you naysayers are smart enough to look through my past posts and can easily determine that I don't have a corrupt agenda. I'm your neighbor, and a pretty damn good one at that, and I'm simply asking for help, and am willing to pay for it. I really don't care if your truck gets bad gas mileage, if you don't like trailers, or if you're worried about drug smuggling, or if I'm not offering enough money for you. If you don't like me or my idea or what I'm offering, I'm willing to talk about it with you privately - as adults. My request thread is not the place for you to vent your opinion. It just makes YOU look bad when you bash other people for no good reason.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 09:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by imlost  
A lot of assumptions are being made, and it's mixed-in with negativity, sarcasm, and ridicule. Nothing I'm suggesting is illegal, immoral, dangerous, unjust, or unfair. I haven't mentioned anything about insurance or liability, because frankly, it's unnecessary to talk about it until I find someone who is seriously interested in taking on this task. For those of you who don't like this idea: I'm not asking for your help, and you don't have anything positive to add to this conversation, why not just let it go? You're not going to change anything by bashing me, my trailer, my idea, etc.

I very much appreciate input from those who are offering constructive criticism. On the other hand, I'm really getting sick of reading all of the insults, shaming, etc. I totally agree: This forum needs moderators.

I think you naysayers are smart enough to look through my past posts and can easily determine that I don't have a corrupt agenda. I'm your neighbor, and a pretty damn good one at that, and I'm simply asking for help, and am willing to pay for it. I really don't care if your truck gets bad gas mileage, if you don't like trailers, or if you're worried about drug smuggling, or if I'm not offering enough money for you. If you don't like me or my idea or what I'm offering, I'm willing to talk about it with you privately - as adults. My request thread is not the place for you to vent your opinion. It just makes YOU look bad when you bash other people for no good reason.

I'll speak up, because I don't want some poor soul to do something really stupid.

It would be a terrible idea for someone to drive that up without proper insurance. For you and them. Not even convinced its even legal or you can get insurance for that scenario.

And your tone leads me believe you'd bail on them in a pitch. If you were serious about doing this the legit way you'd post insurance info. But the surrounding facts make me believe you haven't given it much thought.

The magnitude of what you asking someone to risk is off the charts.

And who knows what's in that thing. That's a whole other discussion.

Sorry, this is a bad, bad idea. Pay the money and have a business do this for you. But it will be more than gas money.

imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 11:11 PM

Wow. I'd say that this is 'unbelievable', but I'm really not shocked at all anymore about the crap that gets slung by some of the people on this forum. It's so immature and hateful.

I know I'm probably going to regret responding to you, but I believe you're trying to slander me, and I'm not going to just sit back and take it.

I'd like to clarify that you're the only one who's suggesting not having insurance for this trip. I'm not going to post my insurance information - I don't have anything to prove to you, and I don't owe you any explanation. Here's a rhetorical question for you -
Why are you attacking me? Is it because you really care about the welfare of other people?

For those who really want to know: The trailer is completely empty - no cargo. There's no secret plot, no hidden agenda, no collusion. It's just a trailer, and I'm just a dude with no extra time right now to go get it. If I don't find someone to do this, I'll store it at my casa and I'll live without it this summer.

I'm laughing out loud right now as I type this. I could never have guessed my simple request could have stirred up so much negativity and paranoia. Maybe some of you guys shouldn't have retired so early. You're forgetting what it's like to be a good neighbor and a human.

I'll speak up, because I don't want some poor soul to do something really stupid.

It would be a terrible idea for someone to drive that up without proper insurance. For you and them. Not even convinced its even legal or you can get insurance for that scenario.

And your tone leads me believe you'd bail on them in a pitch. If you were serious about doing this the legit way you'd post insurance info. But the surrounding facts make me believe you haven't given it much thought.

Sorry, this is a bad, bad idea. Pay the money and have a business do this for you. But it will be more than gas money.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 11:32 PM

Wow. I'd say that this is 'unbelievable', but I'm really not shocked at all anymore about the crap that gets slung by some of the people on this forum. It's so immature and hateful.

I know I'm probably going to regret responding to you, but I believe you're trying to slander me, and I'm not going to just sit back and take it.

I'd like to clarify that you're the only one who's suggesting not having insurance for this trip. I'm not going to post my insurance information - I don't have anything to prove to you, and I don't owe you any explanation. Here's a rhetorical question for you -
Why are you attacking me? Is it because you really care about the welfare of other people?

For those who really want to know: The trailer is completely empty - no cargo. There's no secret plot, no hidden agenda, no collusion. It's just a trailer, and I'm just a dude with no extra time right now to go get it. If I don't find someone to do this, I'll store it at my casa and I'll live without it this summer.

I'm laughing out loud right now as I type this. I could never have guessed my simple request could have stirred up so much negativity and paranoia. Maybe some of you guys shouldn't have retired so early. You're forgetting what it's like to be a good neighbor and a human.

imlost,
You can ignore jizz. Ever since he bought a drone to take selfies of his knuckledragging he has been pretty full of himself. :lol:

Instead of listening to jizz spew about insurance, call an insurance agent.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2018 at 12:03 AM

I'm looking for someone to tow my small-ish enclosed trailer from the East Cape / Los Barriles to Oregon. If you're making the trip anyway, and are willing to tow this for me, I will pay for a substantial portion of your fuel. I need this done between now and mid-May. The trailer will be empty, and weighs 2300 lbs. It's single axle. The trailer is light enough that it can be towed with a smaller SUV or pickup.

I'm in Portland, but I can pick it up anywhere in Oregon along the I-5 corridor or anywhere in Central Oregon. PM/U2U me if you're interested.

[Edited on 2-6-2018 by imlost]

Hey OP: the feedback you're getting here comes from lots of Baja experience. In my opinion, what you're asking for looks like a ''favor.'' This kind of tow is something I would impose on a best friend -- and even then, I'd be upping the ante -- all fuel, lodging, etc. Pulling an empty trailer up Baja really is dangerous, slow going, and tedious. You, personally, couldn't pay me enough to do this task. That's the feedback you're getting from some here. Makes me think you don't know Baja -- or what you're asking.

As for JZ? His style is his style. Take his message for what it's worth. He has a point -- and I agree with it. You're low balling your request.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2018 at 08:24 AM

JZ may not be smoothest communicator, but his points are all valid. I don't see where he's denigrating you at all.

John
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2018 at 08:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
JZ may not be smoothest communicator, but his points are all valid. I don't see where he's denigrating you at all.

John
Ha! And you probably don't see anything negative in what you said, either.
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2018 at 08:54 AM

To the OP --

This thread started with a simple request -

"Is anybody interested in towing a trailer north for me?".

Some valid points have been made. A lot of other verbiage has been spewed that may or may not have contributed to the discussion.

I, personally, know what is involved. I have towed a trailer every time that I have traveled the Baja highway. Some trips have been uneventful. Other trips a little more exciting.

This trip north will be the 48th time that I have towed a trailer the full length of Mex 1. Crazy? Maybe. But I had my reasons and they are mine alone.

I might even have considered the OP's request. But, I am already towing. And double towing might be a little more excitement than I am willing to take on.

However, double towing is also possible. Anybody else remember the photos from some of Pompano's trips. He double towed a 30 ft fifth wheel with a 20 ft boat tagged on behind. I do miss his posts. But I digress .....

Bottom line here -- This is a personal decision between two people. The "tower" and the "towee". If these two people can reach a mutually aceptable agreement, that is all that matters.

Good luck in your request.

imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2018 at 09:01 AM

Maybe you naysayers should read my request over and over until you get it. I'm not asking for opinions - I'm asking for help. Here's some great news for you: You don't have to do anything! Especially since you're afraid to handle the task. It's obvious none of you own a boat, quad, side-by-side, camper, or anything else that requires towing.

For those with experience who want to do this: Just send me a U2U and we'll talk about price, insurance, logistics, etc. I'm really not looking for someone to make a special trip out of this. If you're headed north anyway and are comfortable with the task, let's work something out.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-8-2018 at 10:32 AM

....It's obvious none of you own a boat, quad, side-by-side, camper, or anything else that requires towing. ....

Oh oh.....that's bait....:coolup:

I appreciate you asking the question and taking such a risk on this forum.....enough folks have seen the OP...and you may have heard from folks off-line.....for your own sake (avoiding aggravation), don't get caught in the back and forth here....good luck with the trailer project....

[Edited on 2-8-2018 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2018 at 10:37 AM

Oh no. I did a bad thing.
I was trying like hell to be nice, and I finally broke down.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2018 at 10:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

John
Ha! And you probably don't see anything negative in what you said, either.

Nope, not at all. Legitimate concerns are not "negative" unless you have a hard time dealing with other opinions.

John

[Edited on 2-8-2018 by John Harper]
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2018 at 10:45 AM

Oh no. I did a bad thing.
I was trying like hell to be nice, and I finally broke down.

Okay....go sit in the corner for 10 minutes....and no cookies with milk tonight.....;)

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2018 at 10:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Okay....go sit in the corner for 10 minutes....and no cookies with milk tonight.....;)

Sorry, I already found your stash of GS cookies!!! Very tasty!!!

John

[Edited on 2-8-2018 by John Harper]
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2018 at 10:48 AM

Wait 20-30 minutes and tell me how you like them :biggrin:

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2018 at 10:52 AM

It's obvious none of you own a boat, quad, side-by-side, camper, or anything else that requires towing.

I have a 32 foot boat with 35 foot trailer. I've towed it from Santa Rosalia to Los Angeles, and all the way to San Carlos, Sonora on the mainland.

Next question/statement?

The bottom line is:

- You are asking someone to assume a ton of risk - as a favor to you

- I'm not convinced you have thought this through with all the risk, liability, or legality, or that you even care to, you just "want it done"

- You are c-cky, saying "I'm not actually asking any questions..." when ppl offered you some friendly advice. I thought it was a really dumb idea from the jump, but was gonna bite my tongue until this bute.

[Edited on 2-8-2018 by JZ]
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.