Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: No snow so we must go. Strike mission to picacho del diablo
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2018 at 03:34 PM
No snow so we must go. Strike mission to picacho del diablo

My new friend is a guide for hiking picacho del diablo in Sierra Pedro de martir, and she invited me to go hike this past weekend. Normally this is a 3 day hike but we did it in two due to time constraints. While I have been to the park several times, I’ve never hiked to picacho. I can’t recommend it enough to anyone who is into backpacking or peakbagging. It is fairly intense but not too long distance wise. You need a guide to obtain a permit to hike it because several people have been hurt and several have died over the years just from getting lost. I’m not trying to scare you, because it really isn’t that intense, there just isn’t any help available once you get out there. Absolutely amazing scenery, and rock formations with one of the best views in all of baja from the top. We started from campo noche at 3am and reached the peak at sunrise. We could see both bodies of water and all the way from San Felipe to Bahia Gonzaga and from Colonet past San Quintin. If you want to go, I can not recommend enough , Sofia with her guiding service SIMA. I don’t think anyone has more love and respect for that area then her and it shows with how helpful and stoked she is to get everyone to the top to share the mountain and then back safely. Gracias Sofia! And all the park rangers and the mountain for keeping me humble.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-6-2018 at 03:35 PM

WONDERFUL!!!
Thank you for sharing the photos and you report!!!
:bounce::bounce::bounce:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2018 at 04:27 PM

Great photos,thanks!
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2018 at 06:06 PM

Thanks for sharing your pics! Looks fun!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-6-2018 at 06:20 PM

Silly to require a guide. If we have climbed it before, will they require a guide for future climbs?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2018 at 07:49 PM

Excellent pictures, thanks.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2018 at 08:24 PM

Cool report, thanks... I'm sure going with a guide wont be that big of a deal!
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2018 at 11:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Silly to require a guide. If we have climbed it before, will they require a guide for future climbs?

If you can prove to them you know the hike and route I’m sure they would be fine with you going without a guide. There have just been so many people that have gotten lost and hurt that they want everyone out on the trail to be with someone who for sure won’t get lost and they only hand out radios to guides.
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 12:50 AM

Congratulations Luke. It's an arduous route and an accomplishment to be proud of. Great fotos, thanks for sharing. Two days is a fast time. At first I wondered why the alpine start (before first light). Now I get it: summited from Campo Noche and hiked out in a day. That's one long day!
Sofia Bautista is rapidly gaining recognition for her numerous ascents on the mountain. What is her current count, maybe 35+ ascents now?
It has been over 20 years since I guided on the mountain.
If you speak Spanish, this interview might be of interest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmVG5f9ZUvk&feature=yout...

Mtgoat666,
Luke is correct. If you can demonstrate sufficient prior experience and proper equipment, the rangers will allow non-guided ascents. They want everyone to check in at the ranger station for registry and inspection. That mountain has seen it's share of people getting lost, disoriented, and dire situations or deaths. So, I don't agree that the requirement for a guide or significant prior experience is "silly." It's a serious mountain, with potentially serious weather. It has become the "Mt. Whitney of Baja" in my view. Seems like everyone wants to climb it, but most people lack the basic skills and knowledge. Just 10 or 15 years ago, most people had significant experience before attempting the route. Now it's a tourist hike on everyone's bucket-list. (Not directed at Luke or degrading anyone who has the energy to tackle the route).
You must recall the family that was lost and dramatic rescue last year? Btw, Sofia was instrumental in the ground efforts of that successful search & rescue operation.

bajapedro
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 07:09 AM

Awesome! Thanks for sharing pic's!!
nandopedal
Nomad

Mood: Negra Modelo

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 08:35 AM

Or.....you can simply go from the desert, no ranger to check on you but like stated above it is a place to be taken very seriously. I've summit twice with the help of Francisco Detrell also an excellent guide from Ensenada.

\"There are many dangers in Baja. The most serious of which is not going.\" Christophe Noel (EXPO)
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 08:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LukeJobbins  
If you want to go, I can not recommend enough , Sofia with her guiding service SIMA.

Got a contact number or email? I would like to go into La Grulla meadow in search of Nelson't trout.

John

[Edited on 2-7-2018 by John Harper]
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 09:09 AM
Congradualtions!

That's how you bag a peak. Thanks for sharing.

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 09:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
If you want to go, I can not recommend enough , Sofia with her guiding service SIMA.

Got a contact number or email? I would like to go into La Grulla meadow in search of Nelson't trout.

John

[Edited on 2-7-2018 by John Harper]

The first site for Mission San Pedro Mártir is in La Grulla, too. Square stone pads the wooden church was built upon survive from 1794. After three forsty months, the mission moved 7 miles south and 1,700 feet lower! This mission is what gave the entire mountain range its name.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 10:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

John

The first site for Mission San Pedro Mártir is in La Grulla, too. Square stone pads the wooden church was built upon survive from 1794. After three forsty months, the mission moved 7 miles south and 1,700 feet lower! This mission is what gave the entire mountain range its name.

Yes, that would be part of my plan as well, to try and find the foundation stones.

John
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 11:02 AM

Froylan Tiscareño gives the GPS for them (as I recall) in his 2013 book, Baja California Adventures. On Google Earth, you can see the site to some degree, as well.

LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 11:35 AM

+52 1 664 272 5312 Phone number
And or Facebook SIMA outdoors. I was told to google “Sima picacho” to find the Facebook easiest.

Tell her you heard about her from Luke. She would get a kick out it.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 11:44 AM

+52 1 664 272 5312 Phone number
And or Facebook SIMA outdoors. I was told to google “Sima picacho” to find the Facebook easiest.

Tell her you heard about her from Luke. She would get a kick out it.

Thank you. I don't do Facebook, but I will give her a call.

John
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-8-2018 at 02:05 PM

I have been to the top of both San Gorgonio and San Jacinto. And I didn't ride the tram at San Jacinto.
From the bottom. No guide either. I'm lucky I didn't die.
I hope I still have at least one more good climb left in me so I can do this trip.
I might need 2 guides. Porters to carry me down:coolup:

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2018 at 06:21 AM

I got in contact with Sofia. Thank you. Awesome photos. What creek is that in your photos?

John
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.