Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: No snow so we must go. Strike mission to picacho del diablo
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 2-9-2018 at 07:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
I have been to the top of both San Gorgonio and San Jacinto. And I didn't ride the tram at San Jacinto.
From the bottom. No guide either. I'm lucky I didn't die.
I hope I still have at least one more good climb left in me so I can do this trip.
I might need 2 guides. Porters to carry me down:coolup:

The Cactus to Clouds route on San Jacinto is quite a feat. Extremely impressive.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2018 at 07:45 AM

What’s the guide fee for Picacho del Diablo, ball park?
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2018 at 10:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
I got in contact with Sofia. Thank you. Awesome photos. What creek is that in your photos?

John

It’s the creek that runs down canyon del Diablo. I have been all over the park but I have no idea the names of anywhere up there.
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2018 at 11:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
What’s the guide fee for Picacho del Diablo, ball park?

Don’t quote me on this because everything I know is just from casual conversation with Sofia. She was saying something about a 6000 peso minimum with 1000 pesos per person after 6 people for the picacho hike which is 3 or 4 days normally. I have no idea how set in stone that is or other variables or what other guides charge or what her charges are for other locations. I just became friends with her a couple weeks ago and joined her group to help out with some rock climbing stuff gratis so like I said, don’t quote me on her prices exactly. I just hang out with her and occasionally she tells me when to show up to teach people how to climb.

Let me know what you guys think of that price of 6000 minimum for only guiding services? She thought it might be high, mostly for locals, but I said at least for tourists it seems cheap. Looking at rei prices for guiding services or how much it costs for one day on a panga, her prices seemed cheap to me. But please let me know what you guys think. And once again, don’t quote me on this stuff. I’m not a spokesperson for her group, just a friend who did the hike.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-10-2018 at 12:20 PM

Glad to se you keeping busy. How was the Searcher season?

LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2018 at 10:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Glad to se you keeping busy. How was the Searcher season?

Actually I jumped over on the condor for some overnight and day and a half action. It was great. We just stopped running a few weeks ago. Bluefin in December and January. Can’t really ask for much more. Now a few months off work and back out there for hopefully an epic season. Not before at least one more bay trip though.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2018 at 08:01 AM

Thanks for the info.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2018 at 08:49 AM

6000 pesos? That's like $320 for 3-4 day trip with a guide? Seems like a REAL bargain to me. I'm definitely interested in La Grulla next year.

It cost's $700 or more to have a couple mules pack gear into the Cottonwood lakes (5 miles), and that's an easy trail.

A flyfishing guide will cost you $400/day.

John

[Edited on 2-12-2018 by John Harper]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-11-2018 at 01:53 PM

Yeah mang, the Condor had a good season! Planning on the bay mid May.

LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 08:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Yeah mang, the Condor had a good season! Planning on the bay mid May.

Hmm mid may sounds pretty interesting. Let me know the exact dates as it gets closer. It would be cool to hook up down there again.
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 09:05 PM

Sweet photo essay. Climbed it about 10 years ago with a buddy. We did the 3 day version... hike in, climb the next day, hike out the next. Really rugged peak and a cool place to visit. I always said if I ever went again I'd like to do the Pinnacle Ridge route. Sad to hear about the guide issue, but even back when we went, they wanted to check our gear and make sure we knew what we were doing.

John, let me know if you ever want to go after those trout! That's for sure on the bucket list.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 09:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaandy  
Sweet photo essay. Climbed it about 10 years ago with a buddy. We did the 3 day version... hike in, climb the next day, hike out the next. Really rugged peak and a cool place to visit. I always said if I ever went again I'd like to do the Pinnacle Ridge route. Sad to hear about the guide issue, but even back when we went, they wanted to check our gear and make sure we knew what we were doing.

John, let me know if you ever want to go after those trout! That's for sure on the bucket list.

Sofia is probably the most popular person I know and super busy but we both want to do the pinnacle route as soon as she has a couple days free. Maybe in March during my spring break. I’m all about rock climbing and I’m getting her more into it and I was just drooling over all the rocks around the canyon and the peaks. Especially the thought of the pinnacle route. Or maybe a southern desert approach with some climbing and scrambling.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2018 at 02:55 PM

I made it up Pico de Orizaba on Sunday. 18,500 feet or so. It was generally miserable. I swore "never again" but the next day started making plans for the next one.
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2018 at 05:03 PM

I made it up Pico de Orizaba on Sunday. 18,500 feet or so. It was generally miserable. I swore "never again" but the next day started making plans for the next one.

Awesome. Were you with Sofia? She was or is there right now. I wanted to go but had obligations keeping me here.
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2018 at 05:14 PM

Also wanted to give an update on Sierra Pedro de martir. I went up solo on Thursday and got denied entrance into the park as a whole. Apparently an American wanted to hike to blue bottle peak solo and was denied a permit so he said he would just camp and not do the hike and he went anyways. Well he got caught the rangers got in trouble for not monitoring the park enough and now the rangers are denying solo entry into the park. If you are part of a group or caravan type deal it is fine, but they are not allowing people to be in the park solo. I emailed the regional national park office in Ensenada to inquire about getting around the rule because I have been probably about 20 times solo and I have tons of gps routes and experience in the park and some survival training. They wrote me back saying this is not a new rule but it is new that they will be enforcing the no solo travelers rule from here on out. Outside of the park like picacho del Diablo they don’t care. And knowing some people and a few of the rangers I may be able to skirt around this rule from time to time but this is just a heads up for anyone in the future. No solo entry to the park. I was/am pretty bummed about it because I do almost all my trips and exploring solo and that eliminates a lot of planned trips down there this year for me.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-20-2018 at 05:27 PM

To be clear, unless you have a passenger, they won't let you camp or even visit the observatory for the day??? Gee, I prefer to have my wife, but when researching for the roadguide last October, I was solo. Could it be because you had asked about climbing and that was why?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-20-2018 at 05:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LukeJobbins  

Awesome. Were you with Sofia? She was or is there right now. I wanted to go but had obligations keeping me here.

He wasn't in Baja, that mountain is in south central Mexico.

I'm impressed...just breathing at that altitude would be a challenge for me!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2018 at 06:44 PM

Congratulations BigBearRider. What an aerobic workout!

AKGringo, surely Luke knows where Pico de Orizaba is located. Sofia also climbs or guides on the big volcanoes, so he made no mistake. Sofia posted from Nevado de Toluca (4th highest) yesterday.

Luke, sounds like you have the serious stoke for climbing. Hit me up if you are interested in rock climbing in the Sierra de Juárez. ClimbBaja {at} aol [dot] com

[Edited on 2-21-2018 by Maderita]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-20-2018 at 07:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LukeJobbins  
Also wanted to give an update on Sierra Pedro de martir. I went up solo on Thursday and got denied entrance into the park as a whole. Apparently an American wanted to hike to blue bottle peak solo and was denied a permit so he said he would just camp and not do the hike and he went anyways. Well he got caught the rangers got in trouble for not monitoring the park enough and now the rangers are denying solo entry into the park. If you are part of a group or caravan type deal it is fine, but they are not allowing people to be in the park solo. I emailed the regional national park office in Ensenada to inquire about getting around the rule because I have been probably about 20 times solo and I have tons of gps routes and experience in the park and some survival training. They wrote me back saying this is not a new rule but it is new that they will be enforcing the no solo travelers rule from here on out. Outside of the park like picacho del Diablo they don’t care. And knowing some people and a few of the rangers I may be able to skirt around this rule from time to time but this is just a heads up for anyone in the future. No solo entry to the park. I was/am pretty bummed about it because I do almost all my trips and exploring solo and that eliminates a lot of planned trips down there this year for me.

Ridiculous!
This coming from a country/govt that does not enforce building codes or seat belt laws, and builds/maintains crappy roads - and together kills dozens of people per day.
Ridiculous!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2018 at 08:52 PM

I did originally go to down to rock climb(boulder), and the rangers knew I was coming solo but they lost internet the day before when the incident happened and they couldn’t warn me to not go. They made it clear to me that it did not matter the reason for visiting, nobody goes in solo. I am not sure if it applies to the observatory. It wouldn’t make sense to deny access to that.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.