Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Finger on the button!
baronvonbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 07:10 AM

I believe there is a medium size 5th wheel for sale in Pedregal about 20 lots down from your lot.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 07:13 AM

i retired at 55. i left a lot of money on the table. no regrets..... however, there are many times i longingly remember having a large income. fortunately my union made sure i have a comfortable pension.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 09:17 AM
This started out as a scrubbed filled lot

My place is the one on the corner with a 35 foot 5th wheel, 3 slide out trailer, not the 2 story next to me.

Paso a Paso

[Edited on 2-7-2018 by Howard]

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 10:37 AM

I really like the trailer idea! So many start out like that and build little add ons to make it more comfy outside.

I admire how your little house evolved with the second story floor plan and then the pool!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 01:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  

What is the cheapest a fairly tolerant retired senior gringo could live on in San Quintin?

I've looked at that mythical number for a few months, every online
source I could find, sent messages for personal replays.
The older one gets, the less time there is in front than in back.
The one hitch I have is Med Ins for the wife, I hope I'm not using
that as an excuse, not to bail. Cheap Motels, back in the day, 1st trip
by bus, I believe it was named the Motel Salveiterra. Loreto
$1.75 dlls

nbentley1
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 01:39 PM

Fishbuck, I think there will be a few folks in similar situations that will be watching with interest to see how this unfolds. Congrats for having the balls to make the break.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 02:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  

What is the cheapest a fairly tolerant retired senior gringo could live on in San Quintin?

I've looked at that mythical number for a few months, every online
source I could find, sent messages for personal replays.
The older one gets, the less time there is in front than in back.
The one hitch I have is Med Ins for the wife, I hope I'm not using
that as an excuse, not to bail. Cheap Motels, back in the day, 1st trip
by bus, I believe it was named the Motel Salveiterra. Loreto
$1.75 dlls

I stayed there for a few weeks on my Bajaquest. More than adequate for me. I may go there after I settle in to SQ.

I will tell you soon what the magic number is.

My last stop is San Diego to get set up with my new medical people.
My big concern was that I would not be covered by retiree medical. And also my son who is 23. I can cover him until 26.
So you can imagine my relief when I found out that I qualify for the same insurance that I have new. Which is full coverage.
I stay in this plan until I am 65.
But I was going to leave no matter what an take my chances...
Enough is enough!

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 02:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
I really like the trailer idea! So many start out like that and build little add ons to make it more comfy outside.

I admire how your little house evolved with the second story floor plan and then the pool!

It's only a small dream, with a small house, with a small palapa lookout for a second story and a tiny pool.
Can't I please have just a tiny little pool. It for theraputic porpoises only ...;D

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 02:27 PM

So I got my man on the ground in SanQ Jonathon Mendez beating the cacti for a small cheap rental in town. Let's see what he can find.
My bench mark for "cheap" is a 2 bedroom 1 bath for $175/month. It looks a tad shady neighborhood and is too far away from my camp. But he knows what I am looking for. I would love a cute little farmhouse a mile or so off the highway. Maybe on the hilly side.

This is how it's done folks.
1) I need to live in town for a while so I can learn how to use the town efficiently. That town looks like a mess but I imagine everything is availble there somewhere. Furniture should be easy with all the second hands stores etc...
2) I can live very comfortably and drive to my fishcamp daily and supervise my workers.
3 I shall search for a trailer and get that set up so I can start to spend "weekends" at the camp. This will help me transition to the camp eventually and I can learn and improve as I go...
4) That's all I got so far...😎

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 02:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
My place is the one on the corner with a 35 foot 5th wheel, 3 slide out trailer, not the 2 story next to me.

Paso a Paso

[Edited on 2-7-2018 by Howard]

I can see my thing going about like this.
Not sure what I was thinking at the time. Mine is a bit of a fancy neighborhood and no trailer cabanas.
We can have a trailer for the 1st 2 years after we begin construction. After that it can 't be seen. So in the garage or off the property.
But the neighborhood is very tidy and starting to become very beautiful.
So I'm cool with it.

I remember what I was thinking... I am the only one here and no one will care how long my trailer is there.
That was 15 years ago and the developer has since moved into the larger of the 2 model homes and made additions to it.
I guess I better play by the rules...

[Edited on 2-7-2018 by fishbuck]

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 03:55 PM

It seems to me you are waaay overthinking this. It's great to have plans and attempt to be organized and not to make mistakes along the way. Everything is going to change during your path so might as well just think your best plan, ride with it and expect major changes along the way. Take it step by step and allow for growth and improvement of your plans as you go. You are going to make mistakes, just don't get caught up in the ones that will cost you a lot of $ and would be hard to change.
Get a trailer/5th wheel, live in it and decide what is best for you after a/your given period of time.

Being retired, living where you want to live, doing what you want to do and taking life and your plans step by step, what is wrong with that?

As far as the neighbors looking down at you for being "trailer trash," "don't worry, be happy", WTF, your leading your La Vida Loca!

By the way, you owe me .05 centavos

George Bernard Shaw

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 05:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
It seems to me you are waaay overthinking this. It's great to have plans and attempt to be organized and not to make mistakes along the way. Everything is going to change during your path so might as well just think your best plan, ride with it and expect major changes along the way. Take it step by step and allow for growth and improvement of your plans as you go. You are going to make mistakes, just don't get caught up in the ones that will cost you a lot of $ and would be hard to change.
Get a trailer/5th wheel, live in it and decide what is best for you after a/your given period of time.

Being retired, living where you want to live, doing what you want to do and taking life and your plans step by step, what is wrong with that?

As far as the neighbors looking down at you for being "trailer trash," "don't worry, be happy", WTF, your leading your La Vida Loca!

By the way, you owe me .05 centavos

I am the perverbial "overthinker" In fact you could say that was part of my profession. In aviation we always think from a sucessful landing and then backwards to a sucessful takeoff. And think about what might go wrong... and then don't let it go wrong.
Any decent pilot should be a bit of an overthinker. The underthinking pilots are all dead.

But yes I love to just take baja as it comes. That is truly the best way. That is what you want. That is the experience.

As for making a mistake... I guess it's possible😎
But I will have plenty of time to recover and try again. And isn't that what this whole thing is all about?
I'm about to enter a fantasy life where there really is no wrong answer.

Howard
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 05:50 PM

What about my .05? :biggrin:

George Bernard Shaw

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 06:29 PM

You have 5c credit at the Fishcamp Tiki bar. Collect anytime.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 06:39 PM

So it is oFISHial. I pushed the button of no return.
No changing my mind, chickening out, crawling back...
IT'S DONE!
Gave notice on my Wa apartment and will head south on March 1.
This was tramatic. I am relieved and emotionally crushed at the sametime. I can't believe I survived this.
I'm still afraid of the company and their sneaky tricks but I don't think they can get me now.
I feel like I felt when I separated from the Air Force at the end of my 6 years of enlistment.
Now I can actually have a life.

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 06:53 PM

Wow. Good for you. Things always have a way of working themselves out. Maybe you will experience some of that Baja magic.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 07:08 PM

Good for you! No better place to find your way/self then Baja! I have seen so many different ideas and ways to build and live in Baja you just have to find your way. I can't wait to be in your spot.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-7-2018 at 07:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Wow. Good for you. Things always have a way of working themselves out. Maybe you will experience some of that Baja magic.

I sorely need some.

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2018 at 06:16 AM

I'm a few years behind you, and am looking forward to seeing "the further adventures of Fishbuck". Please don't be stingy with those posts!

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-8-2018 at 12:38 PM

Good morning Nomads.

I guess today is my 1st full day of retirement... and it feels darn good.
All I can think about is Baja.
I literally want to throw my old life away and start fresh and clean in Baja.
It seems like the only place in this world I really care about anymore...

So... about all that baggage..

I want to pare down before I leave Wa.
My goal has always been to never own more than 1 pickup trucks worth of stuff.
But we all know that is not possible.
My plan is to travel light and fast out of Wa.

There are things that I love. Like my 52 inch Sony. It's a very nice flatscreen but about 10 years old I guess. Still awesome.

But really do I need it?
I will stop in San Diego and put my 1 pickup's worth of stuff in a storage until I get on the ground in San Quintin and learn what's what there.

But really is it necessary to bring stuff? It seems like nowadays that everything that is available in San Diego is also available in either Tijuana or Ensenada.
Is that a true statement?

Thank you all for your interest and kind comments.
I will do my best to keep everyone up to date. Mostly because I have a lot of things to figure out and I will need you all because there are many people on here with Baja knowledge. So I'll been asking lots of questions.
I should have paid closer attention all these years I've been here on BajaNomad.
It's time for the test...

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.