Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Finger on the button!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-8-2018 at 01:18 PM
Stuff is stuff

Make a list of what you want.......then think about it

After some thought, make a list of what you really need - that is what you take.

Stash the stuff in a storage shed on the US side, then when you cross take a little at a time south. I recommend Tecate

Before you ditch your stuff, price what you need to purchase at COSTCO and/or Sam's Club** in the US, then price the like/similar items at COSTCO and/or Sam's Club in Ensenada.

You will find that "most" electronics are more expensive.

** - Sam's Club in the US has a military membership that is a pretty good deal. They give you a gift card that is about 1/2 of your membership. Bring your DD214

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-8-2018 at 01:22 PM

Nice. Ok. Makes good sense. Thanks.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2018 at 07:25 AM

From one piloto to another-

Relax. You are not even close to the retirement mentality yet. It will take a year before you are. Trust me, been there, done that. Going from the "in command" mind set to "every day is Saturday" is a big jump. You will wake up at night dreaming of "being in command" again. Slowing down takes time. You can't rush it.

"Projects" will be the big killer. You will line up all your projects to do and worry when they all don't get done today. Limit your projects.

Let me ask you- do you still wear a watch? If you do you ain't even close to your goal of being retired. It took me 2 years to break that habit.

Sleeping till 10 AM IS an option when retired. If you can't, you're not close.

Slow down and smell the roses. If it gets done today fine, if not, so what. Do what YOU want to do not what you HAVE to do. You don't have to be busy every waking moment. You can sit and watch the sun go down without feeling like you're not getting things done.

Had a Chief Pilot once call me in and tell me to go home every night and drink some wine. Watch the sun go down. Relax a little. Was probably the best advice I ever received in my flying career. I was a Check Airman and I always pushed to the limit for the company. Push, push push was all I thought of. Get the job done, move on to the next candidate. I was pushing myself into an early grave. Even so, it took me 2 years to get "retired".

Take a deep breath and relax. Let it all sink in slowly. Nothing beats "every day is Saturday".

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 2-9-2018 at 07:33 AM

Go for it! I didn't retire until I was 75. I didn't have to wait that long but could not 'let go'. Gave my business to the employees.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-9-2018 at 01:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
From one piloto to another-

Relax. You are not even close to the retirement mentality yet. It will take a year before you are. Trust me, been there, done that. Going from the "in command" mind set to "every day is Saturday" is a big jump. You will wake up at night dreaming of "being in command" again. Slowing down takes time. You can't rush it.

"Projects" will be the big killer. You will line up all your projects to do and worry when they all don't get done today. Limit your projects.

Let me ask you- do you still wear a watch? If you do you ain't even close to your goal of being retired. It took me 2 years to break that habit.

Sleeping till 10 AM IS an option when retired. If you can't, you're not close.

Slow down and smell the roses. If it gets done today fine, if not, so what. Do what YOU want to do not what you HAVE to do. You don't have to be busy every waking moment. You can sit and watch the sun go down without feeling like you're not getting things done.

Had a Chief Pilot once call me in and tell me to go home every night and drink some wine. Watch the sun go down. Relax a little. Was probably the best advice I ever received in my flying career. I was a Check Airman and I always pushed to the limit for the company. Push, push push was all I thought of. Get the job done, move on to the next candidate. I was pushing myself into an early grave. Even so, it took me 2 years to get "retired".

Take a deep breath and relax. Let it all sink in slowly. Nothing beats "every day is Saturday".

Thank. Yes this is very timely.
I realized this morning I'm still acting like Pilot in Command. It time to ride in back for a while and just look out the window.

Yesterday was sort of the last day. I turned in my Boeing badge and inplant parking pass. Very mixed emotions.
But it is fully over now.
So I feel like I can lossen my grip a tad.
Breathing seems just a little easier today🙂

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-9-2018 at 02:18 PM

Congratulations Mike! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-9-2018 at 02:47 PM

Thanks David.
The flood of baja ideas I am getting is litterally mind boggling.
Thanks to you and your bajapedia like knowledge. It's catchy.
:coolup:

[Edited on 2-9-2018 by fishbuck]

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2018 at 05:11 PM

Mr. Mike,
It took me two years to not freak when Boeing badge wasn't on hanging on truck mirror. It gets better every day

Es Todo Bueno
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2018 at 05:30 PM

You must be someone who was blessed with a career you liked/loved? Work to me was/is a 4 letter word. I couldn´t retire soon enough.
Enjoy it. Lifes short.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.