Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Found New Non-ATM Source For Pesos
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-19-2018 at 09:47 AM

after a 6 hour on the phone/online exchange with remitly.com I can only say "I am peeed - very peeed"
They won't transfer money because I am in Mexico at the time of the proposed transaction.
"You can only transfer money from the US to Mexico when you call from a US phone for verification" (everything else is handled online) a customer rep tells me.

Similar experience with xoom.com a few days ago.

Only transferwise.com offered a smooth transaction

I am testing alternatives to paypal or bank wire at the moment

Harald Pietschmann
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 3-19-2018 at 10:00 AM

Another possibility is using Western Union. I regularly send pesos to one of my workers using the WU app on my phone. It's instant and he can pick up the cash at the Ley Market in Loreto. It does cost me $5 but no other fees. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure I can send money to myself just as easily. You just need ID and the "code" that WU provides the sender. There's a whole list of places in Baja that WU money can be picked up.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2018 at 10:50 AM

Get a magicjack number, download app on smart phone, you can text also.

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
after a 6 hour on the phone/online exchange with remitly.com I can only say "I am peeed - very peeed"
They won't transfer money because I am in Mexico at the time of the proposed transaction.
"You can only transfer money from the US to Mexico when you call from a US phone for verification" (everything else is handled online) a customer rep tells me.

Similar experience with xoom.com a few days ago.

Only transferwise.com offered a smooth transaction

I am testing alternatives to paypal or bank wire at the moment
SunDevil
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2018 at 10:57 AM

I wonder if using a google voice number would satisfy the remitly requirement of having a US phone for verification.

Google Voice is a free service that allows people to choose a local number for voice mail and calling purposes.

You can link your Google Voice number with your cell phone number and/or land line, so that you receive a call on all your phones and easily forward calls to transcribed voice mail when you are unavailable.

Follow these directions to get a Google Voice phone number and start to use your account.

https://www.wikihow.com/Get-a-Google-Voice-Phone-Number
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 3-19-2018 at 12:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Rossman  
I just signed up with Remitly this morning and nice little bonus is that they are offering 20 pesos per dollar US for my first $500 transfer. 20 per dollar with no fees is a great deal.

Hey Ross;

thanks for the heads up. I'm signed in and today the rate is 19.75. Going to move a block into my bancomer to test the inbound fees.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2018 at 12:44 PM

yes, I could use all kinds of tricks and workarounds to get those money transfer guys to do what they are promising they might do.

I like straight forwardness and honesty. I am already surrounded by thieves and cheaters - but I refuse to become one of them. If needed, I'll use pigeons to fly in my money

Harald Pietschmann
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2018 at 01:16 PM

Bancomer in San Felipe now works with my Well Fargo card.
Last count I see 5 different bank ATMs here.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2018 at 12:53 PM

for all of you considering remitly.com to transfer money - don't!

https://tinyurl.com/yd5bhdq2

[Edited on 3-20-2018 by 4x4abc]

Harald Pietschmann
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2018 at 08:25 PM

for all of you considering remitly.com to transfer money - don't!

https://tinyurl.com/yd5bhdq2

[Edited on 3-20-2018 by 4x4abc]

Thanks,just crossed em off the list!
aguachico
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2018 at 08:19 AM

All the complaints seem to indicate the company has to be diligent about transfer amounts. Maybe to avoid being a drug runners bank?

There are other online exchange houses.

I plan to try it soon.

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 3-21-2018 at 09:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by aguachico  
All the complaints seem to indicate the company has to be diligent about transfer amounts. Maybe to avoid being a drug runners bank?
Ya, that's what they say BUT once a person has been properly vetted there shouldn't be ANY more problems.

I believe that they simply want to "hold" onto as much money for as long as possible to use it to their advantage.
MulegeClavo

[*] posted on 3-21-2018 at 02:43 PM

I recently used Remitly as I was having trouble getting pesos out of the ATM. I did have a problem at the Bancomer. Bancomer has a $500 dollar limit and I submitted my transaction number and passport to the teller. My passport has my middle name and the transaction omitted it, so the teller would not release the funds. I e-mailed Remitly and ended up in a phone conversation with them. They added my middle name and I was then able to get my pesos.

I have not used them again as my ATM problem has been solved. They did offer a first time user bonus of 19.75 pesos per dollar and seem to offer a slightly better rate than the ATM. You can find many happy reviews also if you Google Remitly happy. Just saying.

aguachico
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2018 at 07:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MulegeClavo  
I recently used Remitly as I was having trouble getting pesos out of the ATM. I did have a problem at the Bancomer. Bancomer has a $500 dollar limit and I submitted my transaction number and passport to the teller. My passport has my middle name and the transaction omitted it, so the teller would not release the funds. I e-mailed Remitly and ended up in a phone conversation with them. They added my middle name and I was then able to get my pesos.

I have not used them again as my ATM problem has been solved. They did offer a first time user bonus of 19.75 pesos per dollar and seem to offer a slightly better rate than the ATM. You can find many happy reviews also if you Google Remitly happy. Just saying.

Thanks for the info. I will update my middle name. How much did Bancomer charge to receive the the transfer?
MulegeClavo

[*] posted on 3-23-2018 at 08:33 PM

There was no charge from Bancomer. I guess they get a piece of the action from Remitly.
aguachico
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2018 at 10:42 PM

Thanks. Hitting bancomer manana. I have an account, It's locked for online usage, soooo I gotta fix that. confirm I can transfer and move $500 @19.75. That's a good profit. My bancomer account is an emergency account only.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2018 at 11:46 AM

am still in the process of testing the major 3 online money transfer companies.
So far only Xoom.com has been able to send money to where I wanted it.
Not fast and with a lot of frustrating customer service interactions.
It kinda worked, but I would not recommend it.

Remitly.com flocked up really bad - stay away!

Transferwise.com is still trying to deliver my money.
got a message week after I initiated the transfer - they claim, the money was sent back
no explanation why
customer service takes 3 days to respond per email
no online tracking where your money is
maybe next week sometime, they say
so, even if the transaction works out - I will not use their "service" in the future

bottom line - online money transfers could be a brilliant service for people away from home needing money. Filling in where the old crusted banks have no idea what to do. But at the moment none of the providers can deliver what they promise. Sometime creating more nightmares that you are already in.

Most reliable solution: ask a friend at home to wire you some money from their account - because transferring money from your US account to their US account can be done online no matter where you are on the planet.

Harald Pietschmann
aguachico
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2018 at 05:04 PM

I hope this works.
Lost out on a better rate dicking around with bancomer. Bancomer will not allow me to use their website nor phone app because I do not have a mexican phone number. For having such a large economy the country is a joke at times

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2018 at 09:08 PM

the same is true for those transfer services sending money from the US - if you want to activate a transfer and use a MEX phone, they will cancel the transaction

Harald Pietschmann
aguachico
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2018 at 08:37 AM

the same is true for those transfer services sending money from the US - if you want to activate a transfer and use a MEX phone, they will cancel the transaction

Is that what happened to you and remitly? They wouldn't transfer money for you because you live in Mex, have a Mex phone #? Have you setup a google phone?

I may try setting up a google phone with a Mex number and run the Bancomer App thru that number.

Apparently the money is deposited in my account. I cannot check it because of Bancomer online restrictions. If the transfer was free, I took advantage of the one time offer. Now the rate is 18.23 for a slow transfer and 10.0 for a fast transfer.

The advantages to going online is many. Not carrying dollars to exchange for pesos. Not carrying a lot of pesos. I can pay for services for vendors like Shari easily. I can, in the case of an emergency, get a hold of more cash than I like to carry while camping.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2018 at 04:38 PM

When it requires a phone verification - with local number, at that - this is not quite an online service.
Google phone is on the way out, I've heard.

Except for Xoom, is there anything else available in Canada?
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.