Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: The phone question again
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 01:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  

I run my life from this smart phone. An when I retire it will be even more important for managing my assets etc.

I'll probably get the Note 8. Which baja company best supports that phone?

Laptop or tablet screen is so much more convenient than smartphone, and managing assets is rarely that urgent. Unless it's a day-trading - and even then, laptop is still more comfortable :)

As to this particular phone - I think it's more about chip than the phone itself. You go to Telcel center or Oxxo and ask for Telcel chip.

Then initiate Telcel Amigo plan. 200 pesos will buy you 1GB of data for 33 days under Amigo Sin Limite plan.

Voice calls - if I understand senor Slim's convoluted scheme correct - you either get unlimited Mex calls with NOB roaming under Sin Limite plan, or calls for $ MXN 1.5-1.0 per minute without roaming under Sin Frontera plan. Don't expect Slim to work same flawless as NOB providers though.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 2-13-2018 at 05:06 PM

The best thing about the Galaxy is that it has twin sim slots. One for your US phone, and one for your Mexican phone. I did that for about a year (twin sims). Then I started to ponder...how many friends from the US call me on my US cell? So the US cell was a waste of good money.:o

For the few US friends and family, it was just as easy to call my Mex. cell.:bounce:

Yes, the Mexican cell (sim card) from TELCEL works fine in the US as well. I am able to make direct US phone calls when I'm in the US, and the phone acts as if it were in Mexico when I call Mexican numbers when in the US. There are many instances that I drop off my wife at one store while I make a run to Home Depot. We call each other when we are done with our shopping.

US phone calls are made from Mexico by dialing 001 plus the area code and phone number. Nothing complicated.

Your best Mexican cell source is TELCEL. My unlimited plan is about $40.00 USD per month. You can spend a lot more if you are a data hound, but they will only charge you for the data you use while in the US. Social media accounts are also unlimited when in Mexico. In the US they count as data used. Nothing complicated.

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
Ok. My Sprint bill is like $300/month.
So somethings got to change.

Here is the caveat.
I am a smart phone junkie.
I don't own a pc or laptop.
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 which I love. It's nearing the end of it's life and I am ready to replace it.
What is the best phone co/deal for phone service in baja and specifically San Quintin.
I run my life from this smart phone. An when I retire it will be even more important for managing my assets etc.

I'll probably get the Note 8. Which baja company best supports that phone?

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-14-2018 at 11:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
The best thing about the Galaxy is that it has twin sim slots. One for your US phone, and one for your Mexican phone. I did that for about a year (twin sims). Then I started to ponder...how many friends from the US call me on my US cell? So the US cell was a waste of good money.:o

For the few US friends and family, it was just as easy to call my Mex. cell.:bounce:

Yes, the Mexican cell (sim card) from TELCEL works fine in the US as well. I am able to make direct US phone calls when I'm in the US, and the phone acts as if it were in Mexico when I call Mexican numbers when in the US. There are many instances that I drop off my wife at one store while I make a run to Home Depot. We call each other when we are done with our shopping.

US phone calls are made from Mexico by dialing 001 plus the area code and phone number. Nothing complicated.

Your best Mexican cell source is TELCEL. My unlimited plan is about $40.00 USD per month. You can spend a lot more if you are a data hound, but they will only charge you for the data you use while in the US. Social media accounts are also unlimited when in Mexico. In the US they count as data used. Nothing complicated.

Your unlimited Telcel plan is $40USD/month? I pay 100 pesos for Sin Limites for 21 days.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2018 at 11:26 PM

Senor Slim doesn't set any limits on how much you could pay with this plan, that's why it's called Sin Limite :)...

Can be $US 40 and more. Depends on how fast you burn through the data, and (I suspect) on roaming charges on outgoing calls initiated NOB.
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2018 at 10:00 AM

There was a 10 day stretch last year that we were in the US. My roaming and data bill was less than 130 Pesos. That included the off-network FB. I don't upload photos and went on a public wi-fi when I could.

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Senor Slim doesn't set any limits on how much you could pay with this plan, that's why it's called Sin Limite :)...

Can be $US 40 and more. Depends on how fast you burn through the data, and (I suspect) on roaming charges on outgoing calls initiated NOB.

Udo

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 2-15-2018 at 10:03 AM

I have an iPhone 7 plus which I paid cash for. I have had AT&T since 1997, and while I have five lines on my account, for my phone (the main line) I pay $101.23 per month. This includes 20GB data. Because I have the large data plan, I can use my phone in Mexico and Canada as I use it in the USA with absolutely no extra charges. The other four lines are about $20 per month and we share the data. It is rollover data so in the time we have had it we have never gone over 20GB.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2018 at 03:05 PM

It can be 100 pesos for month, or lower yet.

100MXN expires after 21 days. As long as you don't want to call anybody, you don't need to reload the balance. People can still call and text you for the next 4 months. Then Telcel cut you off, but you keep your number for the next 8 months.
pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2018 at 04:15 PM

I have 3 phones, I use telcel prepago and add $200-$500 pesos every couple of months as needed. I use wifi wherever possible and only turn on data when necessary for email or phone calls thru an app.
I don't get up to the USA much anymore, but I have a pre paid account with t-mobile, $3.00 a month to keep active and allows 30 texts or 30 calls per month, $.10 a text or minute extra, when I do go up I usually pay an extra $10.00 and add a 1 week data pass(2gb I think), and I use my magicjack or WhatsApp number using the data package.
I can usually receive calls on my telcel phones in the USA, but have always had problems calling out anywhere using them.
stiladam
Nomad

Mood: Acoustic

[*] posted on 2-15-2018 at 05:30 PM

My research thus far has shown that the only service available that has seamless US number service on both sides of the border without the location data usage limitation is Telcel USA. They don't consider Mexico roaming because it's their network. https://us.telcel.com/

Of course, having a Mexican Telcel plan and using Magic Jack is surely cheaper overall and does the trick just fine.

Just putting this out there for people that may want a single service solution, and no this isn't Carlos :tumble:
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2018 at 06:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacsur  
I can usually receive calls on my telcel phones in the USA, but have always had problems calling out anywhere using them.

If you are under "Slim Limite"and load pesos only every couple of months, your balance expires before you reload.
See the right column
Then you receive calls and texts for 4 months, but can't initiate a call until you reload again.

But, if it doesn't connect right after reload, then it's Carlos Slim with hand in your pocket. Arguing with them is useless. Prey and predator economy. Wait a year or two, you'll see what will become of Carlos' US tentacle.
pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2018 at 06:47 PM

If you are under "Slim Limite"and load pesos only every couple of months, your balance expires before you reload.
See the right column
Then you receive calls and texts for 4 months, but can't initiate a call until you reload again.

But, if it doesn't connect right after reload, then it's Carlos Slim with hand in your pocket. Arguing with them is useless. Prey and predator economy. Wait a year or two, you'll see what will become of Carlos' US tentacle.

Actually on my telcel prepago the amount of time you have before renewal depends on how much you pay, I think $200p is good for 30 or 60 days, $500p is good for 90 days I believe. If the time period expires I can still receive calls, and when I pay again whatever my past balance was just continues to rollover, I also get data credit every time I add money and that also accumulates.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2018 at 10:22 PM

on my telcel prepago the amount of time you have before renewal depends on how much you pay, I think $200p is good for 30 or 60 days, $500p is good for 90 days I believe.

Doesn't sound like Sin Limite plan that they offer now.

If it still fails to connect outgoing calls NOB, with balance active and current... ah, well, nothing new with this enterprise...

[Edited on 2-16-2018 by Alm]
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 08:44 AM

The minimum you can pay on the PRE-PAGADO plans is $150 Pesos, and that is for 30 days. Inexpensive if all you need are to receive and make phone calls.

See the right column

Actually on my telcel prepago the amount of time you have before renewal depends on how much you pay, I think $200p is good for 30 or 60 days, $500p is good for 90 days I believe. If the time period expires I can still receive calls, and when I pay again whatever my past balance was just continues to rollover, I also get data credit every time I add money and that also accumulates.

Udo

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.