Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Cordornices road
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-10-2018 at 08:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Will be ridding that on motos next month from El Rosario to the mission to Bola, never ridden that are before and I'm really looking forward to it! Dose anyone know if there is gas once we hit the highway of is it all the way back to the BOLA turn off for barrel gas? We might be close just not sure?

[Edited on 2-11-2018 by advrider]

None that I'm aware of. You will see a fishing camp and could buy some in a pinch, even more so at SR.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2018 at 08:39 PM

That's what I was wondering if we might find something in SR, we should be right at 280 miles on our big tanks or close to it?
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2018 at 08:56 PM

Ask at the various places at the LAB turn. Somebody has to have fuel?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2018 at 09:28 PM

The road from Hwy 1 at KM 270 that David shows is what SCORE has used a couple of times recently. I don't think NORRA has ever used it.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-10-2018 at 09:37 PM

Gas is sold at Punta Prieta, north of the dip Km. 12.
Also at Santa Rosalillita from the market/motel if it is an emergency.
As stated, at the L. A. BAY junction too.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2018 at 06:44 AM

Last year on a southbound trip I turned off Hwy 1 and drove a few miles west along that road (from the junction at km252+-). We saw a guy pulling a horse trailer on to the highway. High center 2 track road but doable in 2WD pickup at least for a few miles. Very pretty country but watch out for the cholla cactus they are lurking everywhere! I took a walk and felt a pain in my foot and looked down and they were stuck all over my shoes. A couple of months later I felt a stabbing pain in my foot and pulled out that last of the spines. Amazing vegetation like being in a botanical garden but tended by nature alone.
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2018 at 08:18 AM

Adv, if you have 280 range then you can bypass panga gas at SR. Fill up at Villa Jesus Maria if heading north. You'll have range for some of the local points and putting around before you head inland.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2018 at 08:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MulegeAL  
Adv, if you have 280 range then you can bypass panga gas at SR. Fill up at Villa Jesus Maria if heading north. You'll have range for some of the local points and putting around before you head inland.

Thanks, range for a couple in our group might be closer to 180 so it's good to have an idea where we can find a little gas, we are trying to stay off of the highway as much as we can so we could be stretching mileage a little in a few places. We are hoping to go out to and then past the mission on the way to BOLA for the night, hoping to avoid the highway just to get gas?

[Edited on 2-11-2018 by advrider]
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-11-2018 at 09:09 AM

I have rode from El rosario south many times on the East side .Going out of El Rosario South HWY 1 pass bridge Lt turn then up Rattle snake road. We always carry extra gal fuel just in case. I'm hoping to do that run again this month or next.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2018 at 09:23 AM

I think that is the way we are coming into town the previous night? We will top off in Catavina and then back track north a little to catch the dirt south again. A lot of what we are ridding is close to the track s that they use on the Baja divide bicycle route' Super excited to ride this stretch on the dirt, have only done it on the highway. We are headed down in March if you want to ride.
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-11-2018 at 12:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
I think that is the way we are coming into town the previous night? We will top off in Catavina and then back track north a little to catch the dirt south again. A lot of what we are ridding is close to the track s that they use on the Baja divide bicycle route' Super excited to ride this stretch on the dirt, have only done it on the highway. We are headed down in March if you want to ride.

That's the route we took. It's pretty easy.

Cordornices sounds a little more challenging with the grades.

The best part of the ride is when you get down to the dunes and good beaches around Punta Lobos.

[Edited on 2-11-2018 by JZ]

[Edited on 2-13-2018 by BajaNomad]
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2018 at 12:52 PM

Awesome, thats just how I hoped ridding in that area would look! Anyone ridden from El Rosario to BOLA on this route have a time estimate ? I was thinking between 10-12 hours from the Baja cactus with some hard ridding, It's a pretty fast group. Of course no way to factor in flat tires or mechanical problems, hoping not to get caught out after dark!
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 09:22 PM

Probably my favorite road to the coast. The grade was a little sketchy when I did it solo four years ago, but I don't remember ever needing to lock it in 4x4. Awesome part of Baja.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-13-2018 at 09:15 AM

Hi Andy, the rains have badly eroded the downgrade west of the San Antonio oasis, so 4WD (low) helps keep the speed controlled and no sliding when climbing in and out of the washouts. I was amazed to find a bulldozed roadbed as it seems to be an abandoned route to or from the coast. Perhaps the possible "cilantro" farming near La Miseria I heard about may be why an alternate, secret escaper road was needed?
The couple I rescued said they hadn't seen another car by the ranch in 3 months.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2018 at 02:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
The road from Hwy 1 at KM 270 that David shows is what SCORE has used a couple of times recently. I don't think NORRA has ever used it.

We were at the west end of the road, near the coast for a couple 1000s a few years ago. At that time, there were some silt beds capable of swallowing whole cars along with multiple deep deep rain ruts.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2018 at 03:29 PM

Where the Cordornices Rd drops down toward the coast and along the coast up north to the road that heads back to Hwy 1 at KM233 is full of silt beds. The 2003 Baja 1000 used in the first Dust to Glory movie was originally routed inland from the coast on the road to KM233 but after making the turn there was so much silt during pre-running SCORE re-routed it to Catavina then down to Chapala.
rich t
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2018 at 02:04 PM
Rancho Miseria

David K, the ranch Paul W was talking about that we gave the couple food was Rancho Miseria, we stop in there every year and bring them something,
met them in 2009 on a month long Jeep trip we were doing. They have fallen on hard times in the last 4 years.
rich t
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2018 at 02:14 PM
El Rosario/ Catavina/ L.A. Bay

Jz and advrider, if you are riding from El Rosario to San Borja or L.A. bay the Bill Nichols 22 day trail is a good trail to do, gas up in Catavina, then Puenta
Prieta which will get you to L.A. Bay. You can by pass some of the mountain stuff and follow the coast to the turn off for Cordornices, we are doing a dirt
bike ride in March and will be doing part of the 22 day trail. It is a cool trail.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2018 at 07:15 PM

Any tracks for the 22 day trail, I would love them? Thanks for the info and I have always wanted to try it.
rich t
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 10:24 AM
22 Day Trail

advrider, I will E-mail you the tracks.

Rich
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.