Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Be very careful/random violence
kingdktgrv

sad.gif posted on 2-12-2018 at 12:58 PM
Be very careful/random violence

This did not happen to me, but to a couple of very good friends of mine. Crossed Otay very early morning on Sunday Feb 11. Got groceries and mail and crossed back into Mexico at San Ysidro crossing at aprox. 7am. As soon as they crossed the bridge going over the Tijuana River and connecting with International Way Rd on their way to the Toll Road a VW Jetta (perhaps Passat) came speeding up behind them. They got over to the right hand lane and when the VW came up to their side the person sitting passenger pulled out a hand gun and opened fire on them. One bullet entered the driver window and exited out the back passenger window missing their heads by mere inches.
They immediately slammed on the brakes and the VW did as well. A bald Mexican got out of the passenger side of the car with the same firearm and aimed at them. They slammed the car in reverse and went approximately 50 yds back when the VW finally sped off.
If anyone has heard of anything like this happening please share. Alot of us "regulars" are scared chitless of random attacks like this.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 01:05 PM

They may have been mistaken for another bad guy in a drug war feud.

Too bad they didn't hit the gas and run over the SOB. But that may have landed them in more trouble than they would want.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 01:07 PM

thats a heck of a way to start your morning!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 01:09 PM

I always get through TJ has fast as possible or better yet, avoid it all together.
kingdktgrv

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 01:11 PM

TMW, thats what we were thinking when they called us later that morning but that probably would have ended badly either with TJ police getting involved our perhaps the gunman getting some more shots off. We think it is one of three things either
1. Mistaken ID and they were gunning for a similar make/model car
2. Insane reaction to road rage. Perhaps they felt slighted by some maneuver
3. Tweakers that had stayed out up all Saturday night just looking for random targets.

Either way, still scary.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 01:14 PM

That is a heck of a first post on Baja Nomad!

Why do you like to go to Baja despite all the things people say?

Welcome!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 01:31 PM

Oh no, not another over-the-top, Mexico story from a first time poster, who reports a second hand story, of an alleged shooting in Mexico!

I call BS, unless the OP also provides a headline, police report, insurance report, or at least some photos.

There are forces out there, that will do and say anything to discourage Mexico tourism.

I'm also trying to understand the ballistic trajectory, of the alleged incident.

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 01:38 PM

Joe, we aqll know that there is violence in Baja including gunfire. Save your graphics for tourist advertising.
kingdktgrv

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 02:06 PM

Your graphic is a joke. Two cars in lanes parallel to each other do not have to contend with 50+ yard trajectory maps.
Also, I have had a house in Baja since 1994. I have browsed this site for a few years and only recently decided to post. I am not "new" to Mexico.
As for the credibility of the people who told me this, they have been living full time in Baja since 1974. I am pretty sure they do not give two chits about discouraging Mexican tourism ( the graffiti and trash handles that).
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 02:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Oh no, not another over-the-top, Mexico story from a first time poster, who reports a second hand story, of an alleged shooting in Mexico!

I call BS, unless the OP also provides a headline, police report, insurance report, or at least some photos.

There are forces out there, that will do and say anything to discourage Mexico tourism.

I'm also trying to understand the ballistic trajectory, of the alleged incident.

Not much bullet drop from that short range, and not much from driver window to rear window. He wasn't shot from the "Grassy Knoll" but just yards away. Ever fire a weapon? Do you understand the concept of point blank range?

John

[Edited on 2-12-2018 by John Harper]
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 02:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by kingdktgrv  
Your graphic is a joke. Two cars in lanes parallel to each other do not have to contend with 50+ yard trajectory maps.
Also, I have had a house in Baja since 1994. I have browsed this site for a few years and only recently decided to post. I am not "new" to Mexico.
As for the credibility of the people who told me this, they have been living full time in Baja since 1974. I am pretty sure they do not give two chits about discouraging Mexican tourism ( the graffiti and trash handles that).

How do I know you have a Baja house since 1994?

How do I know that your friends don't have even less credibility than you?

What took you so long to post on "Baja Nomad" with your first post some over-the-top story, about some car alleged shooting by some bald Mexican?

Since you supposedly lived in Baja so long, why are you and others "regulars" are so scared, when up to 90% of all Mexican shootings, are drug related?

I'm also trying to understand, why somebody would slam the brakes of their car if somebody was shooting at them, and then stop long enough for the gunmen to get out of their car, and take aim, but didn't shoot.

Why put the car in reverse instead of forward? It's kinda hard to escape a shooter in reverse.

If this case is real, you would think a police report would have been filled out.

Please provide some evidence that your story is real kingdktgrv?

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 02:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
I always get through TJ has fast as possible or better yet, avoid it all together.

Yah. Good advice.

The one time I didn't take it, had my whole holiday rig stolen,, at least it was at the end of my adventure. <;~l
kingdktgrv

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 03:55 PM

https://justiceinmexico.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/18020...

From my experience, it feels like everything has cooled down since the 08 - 10 spree of violence that Northern Baja had. Even this year it does not seem any more or less safe than usual other than yesterdays event. After reading this though I hope we don't see another resurgence.
Then again, that will mean less Surfers in the water which is a plus :P
Special Ed

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 04:28 PM

i've encountered some pretty serious road raging along that stretch just in the short while i've lived in the area... story sounds legit, not sure what these skeptical joeblow buttplugs are trolling about. Where the hell does one even go about finding a police report in this hot bed of criminality?
joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 04:32 PM

Two weeks ago a cyclist on the Baja Divide route was robbed at gun point, inside Tecate, before moving south of mx3. He said he bought a Mexican sim card for his galexy phone, and was robbed at gun point less than 10 minutes later.

Has Tecate changed that much since my last visit in 2011? I mentioned this to the border patrol on the way north, they yawned and said, ¨lot of new people moving in.¨

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
yea what about the guy on the "grassy knoll"?

bullet came from the sewer

[Edited on 2-12-2018 by joerover]

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 04:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by kingdktgrv  

Your graphic is a joke.

You will soon learn......Joe is just a joke.
Trust me on this.

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 05:13 PM

yes, very hazardous here. if i only knew where the pemex stations who sold full liters of fuel were i would be rounding up a caravan to haul my self and family north to safety!
Special Ed

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 05:52 PM

Just wanted to add that yesterday someone was killed outside the nicest gated community right by the beach in Playas de TJ... first time in a long while there's been a murder in that area
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 07:25 PM

Dang! There goes the neighborhood!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-13-2018 at 05:59 AM

I’d just like to ask how to avoid random violence? I’m a simple man.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.