Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: best shower
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 2-14-2018 at 06:34 PM

Many, many years ago, we camped in San Ignacio, between the Lagoon and town. The campground that was there had a wood fired water heater. We had spent some time camping up north and wanted to shower. I fired up the water heater and when off to make camp. About an hour and a half past, my wife and I wandered over with towels and shampoo looking for a nice hot shower.
Just ahead of us are two young women with the same idea. It was late afternoon and we wanted to make sure we got our showers before the sun went down. As we sat and waited we realize that these two young ladies were going to consume all the hot water. They showered very quickly and complained of no hot water. My wife went over and got in the shower, tried hot water first, and received cold water, she tried the cold water and it came out hot. There was enough hot water for me to use too.
We always found it ironic that the C in English is cold while in Spanish it stands for caliente.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2018 at 07:31 PM

On all of my African safaris the shower water has always been heated with a wood fire started around 4AM by an unseen unheard camp staff.
The shower stall however always ranked 8 out of 10 for style, quality and cleanliness.

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2018 at 10:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by watizname  
Quote: Originally posted by rancho guillermo  
forgot photo

the old Chivato shower was under the palms in the photo. That was the best baja shower ever. Meany Shaw has a real good facsimile at his house on shell beach now, only it's inside.

Yup! I remember the old shower, open to the sky where you had to pull the rope to turn the water on. Great memories of camping at Chivato between 1984 and 1990!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 2-14-2018 at 10:43 PM

Not Baja. In the 70's Puerto Escondido, we would surf in the morning and come back to camp. The shade around the shower started at knee level and was neck high on a 6' man. You would look across camp while showering. Different times.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2018 at 09:05 AM

I travel with a couple sink stoppers (rubber plugs) so I can fill the sink at a gas station and at least wash my hair or have a TPA bath really quick if I'm going to be in civilized society - otherwise the bath tub is a 1 gallon water container cut in half. Some disposable washcloth products already have soap - nice too.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-15-2018 at 09:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
What ever happened to the Old Pier Hotel? I stayed there many times during the late 80s and early 90s.

It so reminded me of a setting for an Alfred Hitchc-ck movie!
Last year during my guidebook research, I saw no compelling signage pointing to it. It was probably in the 1980s that I last drove by the Old Pier, on my way to the Old English Cemetery from The Old Mill.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 2-25-2018 at 09:10 AM

El Capitan in SF. Although the water pressure seems to have dropped a tad last 2 years.
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2018 at 06:42 PM

I second that the showers at the Desert Inn in Catavina are pretty darn good. But the ultimate "desert" shower is in Saline Valley in California at the hot springs...standing in the middle of freakin nowhere with all the wonderful natural hot water you could ask for.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.