Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Lake Chapala Dirt Road
RogerMears
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 07:05 AM
Lake Chapala Dirt Road

Has anyone traveled the dirt road from Hwy. 1 to Gonzaga Bay in the past two days? We plan to travel from BOLA Saturday morning, 2/17, to San Felipe using this road and were just wondering how the rain has impacted the conditions. Update would be appreciated!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 10:11 AM

The latest report was about 2-3 weeks ago of someone actually driving it. It was the same as it's been for several months. No rain damage and crews are working as usual on it. Do it and let us know how it is.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 10:16 AM

Hi Roger, until someone steps up to answer...
It is an active construction zone and all types of vehicles and semis use it daily. I last drove it in August and that was one of several trips in 2017 and 2016 over it, including after heavy rain. It was no problem. So unless you are in a Porsche or some other sports car, you should be fine.

The dashed section of Hwy. 5 on my map is the new highway route that has been closed during construction, but recent reports here on Nomad say some have gotten through on it (known by us a 'Coco's Bypass').

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Elena La Loca
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 11:15 AM

Liable to be a big mess (but that makes it more fun, right?)

Ralph @ Rancho Santa Ynes reported on ham radio this morning that he'd gotten an inch of rain in the past 24 hrs.
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 12:20 PM

I drove it last year after a big rain and it was messy but most of it is sand or rock base and not much of a problem. There were a couple spots near the construction in the mountains, actually going through the canyon, where the work crews had spread a top coat of red dirt and that was a little slimy in spots.
RogerMears
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 02:17 PM

Thanks everyone and thanks David K for the map. I will be traveling in my Nissan 4WD old chase truck w/off-road tires so we should be just fine by the sounds of it. Thank you for the map. We did run the Coco bypass the last time heading south. It cut off about 15 minutes of travel time.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 02:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RogerMears  
Thanks everyone and thanks David K for the map. I will be traveling in my Nissan 4WD old chase truck w/off-road tires so we should be just fine by the sounds of it. Thank you for the map. We did run the Coco bypass the last time heading south. It cut off about 15 minutes of travel time.

Very cool, so keep it under 100, okay?
I chatted with you in Ensenada at race registration. You were in the Jeep Honcho race truck. I think Walker Evans was there, too? Anyway, I recall you saying how nice it was to race the Honcho (something about air conditioning?). That was a long time ago!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Sr.vienes
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 04:41 PM

You must be the Roger Mears that pushed my 9 car in the Fireworks 250 about 1984 or 5 to get me outta the way, thanks it was the fastest I went all day.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 05:00 PM

Roger gave me a good "bump draft" years ago in my pickup
Welcome to the board
Not sure why this particular road would give you much pause for concern.
My 20 year old F150 traveled it last year at around 50-60 most of the way.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 05:24 PM
This Bud's For You... Classic Off Road with Roger Mears:

An 11-minute film about Roger Mears racing the Baja 1000 in the Jeep Honcho Truck... pretty cool stuff from over 35 years ago!

[/rquote]

RogerMears
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2018 at 05:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Sr.vienes  
You must be the Roger Mears that pushed my 9 car in the Fireworks 250 about 1984 or 5 to get me outta the way, thanks it was the fastest I went all day.

Glad I could help.....LOL Hope you won your class!
RogerMears
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2018 at 05:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Roger gave me a good "bump draft" years ago in my pickup
Welcome to the board
Not sure why this particular road would give you much pause for concern.
My 20 year old F150 traveled it last year at around 50-60 most of the way.

It was more of a curious question as we had 3 days of rain in BOLA. Was wondering how much rain on the road. We had a great trip, just a few pools of water and mud.
RogerMears
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2018 at 06:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by RogerMears  

Very cool, so keep it under 100, okay?
I chatted with you in Ensenada at race registration. You were in the Jeep Honcho race truck. I think Walker Evans was there, too? Anyway, I recall you saying how nice it was to race the Honcho (something about air conditioning?). That was a long time ago!

Loved driving the Honcho. It didn't have AC but wished it did! We had a great trip to SF in my 1989 Nissan Chase Truck from back in the day. The road was really muddy and pools of water on the way there. Drying up on the way back. Crews were working on the road...more progress.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2018 at 09:10 AM

Thanks Roger for the reply. If I see you down south, I would like to give you one of my books. All famous off-road racers I meet get one! :light: :D

Met Ivan and Linda Stewart south of San Felipe at Chelo's Restaurant.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2018 at 09:34 AM

In December the road was graded perfectly.

One of the easier drives in Baja.
tonikaus

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 09:40 AM

We drove our VW Eurovan from San Felipe to Rancho Santa Ynez on Saturday, February 24. The road is slow, but otherwise fine. Gonzaga Bay to Hwy 1, including the 12 miles of pavement, took two hours. It looks like all the current activity is on the southern end. Although we crossed the new route several times and saw more of it from afar, we were mostly on the old road bed. We saw all kinds of vehicles, from sedans to semis, travelling both ways. Just pay attention and take it slow. The worst driving we did that day was the 30 extremely potholed miles of Hwy 1 north to Rancho Santa Ynez.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 09:48 AM

Thank you for the update and welcome to Nomad!
So, still just 12 miles (20 kms.) of paved driving south of Gonzaga Pemex, eh?

tonikaus

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 09:54 AM

Yup. Same as three years ago.
RogerMears
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2018 at 07:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Thanks Roger for the reply. If I see you down south, I would like to give you one of my books. All famous off-road racers I meet get one! :light: :D

Met Ivan and Linda Stewart south of San Felipe at Chelo's Restaurant.
Great! Would love to have one of your books! We are living in Bahia de Los Angeles now. Stop by sometime...Zona 4 south of town.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2018 at 08:31 PM

Yes, Mary Ann Humfreville is a dear friend and knows you guys as neighbors. She has a copy for you to take a preview look, maybe? Nice to see you on Nomad!

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.