Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: dog mace?
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 11:33 AM
dog mace?

I've never been a huge dog guy and have a genuine fear of pit bulls, the guard dog of choice it seems at least here in tijuana/rosarito area. long story short im walking along the free road and the next thing I know a pair of over zealous pit bulls are giving me the business. I got one clamped down on my tennis shoe snarling and shaking and his buddy trying to get into the action while im trying to shake this fellow off while dancing around with the free foot. a car stops and backs up to me and a lady hands me a steering wheel club. thinking this might just escalate things I decline the club, she's screaming something in spanish at the dogs that gets their attention while I make my escape, dogs still lunging at my ankles.
I walk around the area alot and always wary of this happening, I sure wouldn't be opposed to carrying a can of mace with me....anyone selling this stuff in northern baja?
btw this was yesterday next to Ollies :(
DirkEXC
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 11:45 AM

Dog mace absolutely, We have had Coyote's grab little dogs right off leaches in my neighborhood. I carry pepper spray every time I walk my dog and most other neighbors either carry golf clubs or big sticks.

Go for some bear spray and those dogs probably will not bother you again.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 11:49 AM

Pick up a can or two of BEAR SPRAY. Works on any dog, as well as humans.
It is available on Amazon.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 11:51 AM

UDAC Bear Spray. Screw those kinds of dogs.

It's got a 35' range, spray the owner too if he comes running.

John

[Edited on 2-16-2018 by John Harper]
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 12:00 PM

Be sure to check the legality of possession of toxic sprays....generally considered a weapon.....even if called bear spray :light:

Two opinions.....

Discover Baja says:

Items Not Allowed in Mexico:

Guns or ammunition. Guns are illegal in Mexico. You will be put in jail for having one.
Pepper spray
Lethal knives and machetes (anything over 8” is not allowed)
Live predator fish
Totoaba fish (fresh or frozen)
Turtle eggs
Poppy seeds or flour of poppy seeds
Marijuana, medicinal marijuana, marijuana products, marijuana seeds or spores, or marijuana extracts
Opium extract
Stamps or prints, displayed for their sale in envelopes or packages, containing illustrations that represent childhood in a degrading, violent, self-destructive, anti-social or ridiculous way (i.e. Garbage Pail Kids trading cards)
Thallium sulfate.
Isodrin, Aldrin, Heptaclor, Drinox, Endrin, Mendrin, Nendrin, Hexadrin or Leptophos insecticides.
Heroin
Medication prepared with acetylmorphine or its derivatives
Loggerhead turtles or turtle skins
Goods that have been declared as archaeological monuments by the Secretary of Public Education.
Air compression spearguns are prohibited. Rubber band spearguns are permitted.

Legal Beagle says:

Pepper spray (the civilian version of the chemical mace used by law enforcement personnel) is a less-than-lethal defensive weapon that comes in a pressurized container. All you have to do is point the canister at an assailant's eyes and let the spray do the work. As with any weapon though, traveling abroad with pepper spray might be problematic.
Flying

If you are going to bring pepper spray on a flight, you cannot have it on you or in your carry-on bag. Pepper spray will have to be left in cargo luggage. Once you arrive in Mexico, your luggage may be searched, but the civilian pepper spray will not cause any alarm. The same rules for flying back to the States with pepper spray apply, so make sure you do not accidentally leave the spray in your pocket.
Purchase

Pepper spray is completely legal to purchase in Mexico, and it can be found at large businesses and even in pharmacies. There is a saying (and even the tone of the U.S. government advice implies) that anything can be purchased in Mexico for the right price. However, if a good is sold openly at a reputable business (rather than off of a cart or a lean-to-stall), then you can usually assume that it is a legitimate item.
Assault

Pepper spray is meant to be used as a defensive weapon. It is a less-than-lethal weapon, but it is a weapon nonetheless. If you intend to use it, make sure the situation is serious enough. If you are threatened in some way, you must also be in a sober state of mind and be able to judge the situation properly for your story to carry weight with the authorities. If you use pepper spray in any other situation, you will have to answer to criminal assault charges.

Don't believe everything you think....
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 12:04 PM

I have NO problem using pepper spray on dogs or any other thing that wants to harm me as it is not lethal ..

But I'm a serious dog person , and as so, I carry Dog treats. Baja dogs are usually vary hungry and as such food will be a number one concern for them.

Make friends NOT enemies .....

[Edited on 2-16-2018 by Paco Facullo]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 12:12 PM

Make your own, simplepimple...Mix vinegar and super hotsauce I use Melindas 50/50 put it in a plastic squirt bottle....USE it...sprayed in the mouth and eyes,they lose interest pretty quick..Engineer the bottle to shoota thin stream,not a spray..Not illegal, and VERY effective...

freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 02:22 PM

A nose spray bottle filled with ammonia. Point and squeeze , will stop a dog.
joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 03:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  
A nose spray bottle filled with ammonia. Point and squeeze , will stop a dog.

no good, might burn yourself instead,
ammonia, no.

Pit bulls have the smallest brain of any dog, the poodle is #2, with nearly double the brain power of a pit bull.

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 03:47 PM

we used ammonia spray in alaska for airplane tires so that bears would not chew them while camped in areas with lots of bears.. it works well
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 03:48 PM

"dog mace" is worthless...take my word

don't waste your money...

you'll just get the oil on your hands and then in your eyes

they'll lick it up like "hot treat"

never turn your back
never run
yell short stuff at the dog

try to avoid "bad dog areas"

[Edited on 2-16-2018 by Bob and Susan]

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 03:57 PM

I ride a bicycle while in Mex, did a little research on the subject
of dogs, sometimes it is a bit difficult to separate advertising
to legit info. But what some of the you tube info has, there is a
bit of it, is that bear spray, while has the long range, has 1% active
ingredient, the pepper spray to repel humans, animals has 10%,
that % seems to be the highest readily available. They also debunk
wasp spray. There is a gel
pepper spray, which looks good

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 04:30 PM

IMHO terrible dogs - bred for one purpose. Only one breed of dog has consistently desired to attack my dog and that would be a pit bull. Not every single we have walked passed, but a strong 80%. Wasp spray and a baseball bat are legal, I assume?
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 04:44 PM

Wasp spray comes in a bulky can; pepper spray, mace, other containers are meant to be carried on one's person. Easier to handle, easier to quickly reach when a fast crisis develops. Far's the legality, I doubt it would be a question unless used on a person. "Es por perro malo" would be an acceptable response I believe.

I'm a dog lover; that being said, I also feel a dog is only as smart as its' owner. I've seen some pretty dumb dogs in my life; if it is going to cause me harm, I'll harm it back. Same goes for the owner.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 04:46 PM

Carry a walking stick, makes a good club.
I have found that many Mexican dogs have experienced being target of rock throwing, so often the motion of bending down for a rock makes them turn away. And a good rock hit will often make a mean dog turn tail.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 08:17 PM

Stick, club, spray I prefer a knife. In a 2 mile daily walk, I"ll probably have it out once with dogs running in packs. Dogs are a big problem where I live.

This from today's Baja Onion:

''My Dog Was Killed By A Pack Of Owned Dogs In Pescadero Last Month - PLEASE SHARE. I am heartbroken. My rescue poodle was killed by a pack of owned dogs. They have attacked numerous times before.

Rasta was attacked and initially survived but underwent anesthesia to stitch his throat. (Unfortunately he was attacked again but didn't require anesthesia/stitches). Ultimately he succumbed to his injuries from shock, trauma &anesthesia.

The dogs: large dark male pitbull, white &brown female pit-mix, and blue heeler, are dangerous &have already tried to attack again.

Everyone should know that these violent dogs exist &are often off-leash. The house: large iron gate, with a 'For Sale' sign before the south entrance to Pedrito Beach ☞ Morgan, morga.leigh@gmail.com, Pescadero''

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 08:46 PM

Discover Baja is full of crap. Pepper spray is legal in Baja (Mexico)
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2018 at 09:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
I prefer a knife. In a 2 mile daily walk, I"ll probably have it out

Wow, Baja Dundee?

John
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-18-2018 at 09:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Stick, club, spray I prefer a knife.

Only a fool fights a dog with a knife. Knives are for close combat. If you get close enough to dog to use knife, you will be bit.
If you are afraid of dogs, carry a club (walking stick, cane, golf club, etc)

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2018 at 10:32 AM

I've got a 3 and 4 iron that are useless to me.....but I'd probably just top it and really pee em off!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.