Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Any option for a hotel near catavina
soundchaser

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 05:37 PM
Any option for a hotel near catavina

Hey everyone,

Planned a trip in March. We were hoping to stay at the mission in Catavina March 7 and 8. The seventh they are sold out. Any other options nearby. I remember a pretty shady looking place across the street.

It also sounds like they cancel your reservation if you aren't there by 6pm. If we were there on the 7th is it likely there will be a cancellation?

Thanks, Rod
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 05:51 PM

Cabanas Linda across the highway and a bit north of the Hotel Mision Cataviña is not recommended by Nomads... or just don't trust the sheets to be clean from reports here!

The bunkroom at Rancho Santa Ynez, 2 kms. south used to be praised as a comfortable place out of the weather. A recent report is the shower was disgusting... Nothing remains the same.

If camping is no option, then El Rosario is just 76 miles away, northbound with many options (Baja Cactus Motel, Motel Turista, Baja's Best B&B, Mama Espinoza's Las Cabañas, Motel Sinahi) or Bahia de los Angeles, 100 miles southbound.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 05:59 PM

Best to stay in El Rosario. You are only losing two hours at most. Your next hotel on Hwy 1 is at Santa Rosalillita (4 rooms) and Rosarito and both are nearly 3 hours further down.
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 07:38 PM

Sound,
If you wanna find out if the gal you are traveling with in 3rd world countries will stick with you though thick and thin, then stay in big pink.

Otherwise, you'll be better off just sleeping in the car across the road!
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 07:41 PM

Sound,
If you wanna find out if the gal you are traveling with in 3rd world countries will stick with you though thick and thin, then stay in big pink.

Otherwise, you'll be better off just sleeping in the car across the road!
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 08:04 PM

I wouldn’t count on a cancellation. I’ve rolled in late before and they held the room. Of course I don’t know if they had others lined up to take it....

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 10:29 PM

There is a hotel in Nuevo Rosarito that works
too. Great coffee in the morning too. Baja cactus or cactus baja something like that, better than the pink place. Stayed there once, It is below average on the mexico scale.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
2-17-2018 at 02:46 AM
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 07:57 AM

Yes, it WAS well below the standards even for seasoned Baja travelers who are accustomed to almost any accommodations.

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
too. Great coffee in the morning too. Baja cactus or cactus baja something like that, better than the pink place. Stayed there once, It is below average on the mexico scale.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

soundchaser

[*] posted on 2-19-2018 at 02:22 PM

Thanks guys, and love the responses. Sounds like a great place to recommend to your enemies!!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2018 at 02:43 PM

for what it cost a night you can buy three margaritas across the street!
chumlee57
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2018 at 08:24 PM

stayed at the pink place 'Hotel Linda' a few years ago, needed a 5 gal bucket from the back of my truck to flush the toilet in the morning, luckily I was able to find some running water for the bucket, there's no way I stay there with my wife. El Rosario is a better location for the stopover, if Mission Catavina is full, enjoy a beautiful desierto central drive throughout the next morning, stop at mission catavine for breakfast in the morning, pancakes, bacon and 2 eggs about $7, good for the rest of the drive
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2018 at 08:56 PM

I would drive a few hours south to Guerrero Negro lots of good hotels there.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2018 at 11:17 AM

I have stayed at the pink hotel a few times over the years. I throw my sleeping bag on the bed. The right hand knob is for hot water in the shower.
carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 2-20-2018 at 02:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
too. Great coffee in the morning too. ...

These are some pics I took last April of the "Hotel Cactus" in Nuevo Rosarito right next door to "Mauricio's" Restaurant, there's also a small market next door as well:

BN_20170401_144156 (2).jpg - 107kB BN_20170401_144050.jpg - 138kB BN_20170401_143946.jpg - 77kB BN_20170401_143953.jpg - 82kB BN_20170401_144010 (2).jpg - 107kB BN_20170401_144005 (2).jpg - 103kB BN_20170401_144315 (2).jpg - 136kB

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 2-20-2018 at 05:36 PM

I've stayed at the Hotel Cactus a couple of times. Basic. Bed was ok and the shower was hot. With Mauricio's next door (w/wifi) it served me well when I didn't want to continue riding after dark. My standards when traveling alone aren't real high. When I first starting going to Baja in the 1970's this would have been considered upscale! And yes, I always carry a sleeping bag.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2018 at 05:55 PM

Thank you, Carlos!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2018 at 06:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Cabanas Linda across the highway and a bit north of the Hotel Mision Cataviña is not recommended by Nomads... or just don't trust the sheets to be clean from reports here!

The bunkroom at Rancho Santa Ynez, 2 kms. south used to be praised as a comfortable place out of the weather. A recent report is the shower was disgusting... Nothing remains the same.

If camping is no option, then El Rosario is just 76 miles away, northbound with many options (Baja Cactus Motel, Motel Turista, Baja's Best B&B, Mama Espinoza's Las Cabañas, Motel Sinahi) or Bahia de los Angeles, 100 miles southbound.

Not recommended. Is this an official recommendation? or A DK recommendation? We stayed there and if nothing else is available would stay again since traveling at night through that are is very dangerous.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2018 at 06:39 PM

If you can read, Ralph: "Not recommended by Nomads"

It didn't say me or all Nomads, just Nomads.

Friends let friends know if there are issues.

I want nothing more than to always have good things to say about Baja tourist businesses. I would rather someone have a good experience than a surprise under the sheet!

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2018 at 08:26 PM

Guess I can not read. Was just wondering who you were speaking for. Still wondering. And will say again,,,,,the surprise couple be in the next curve if driving at night in that section....best to stay there if nothing else available. Have a nice day.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.