BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  18
Author: Subject: "THE IMPOSSIBLE" 4WD Run FEBRUARY 16-24, 2019 [update 2 Feb 2019] - FINAL ROUTE
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

cool.gif posted on 2-16-2018 at 06:25 PM
"THE IMPOSSIBLE" 4WD Run FEBRUARY 16-24, 2019 [update 2 Feb 2019] - FINAL ROUTE

--LAST ROUTE UPDATE--

Day 1 - Mexicali Desert (staging near Pole Line Road) - Free camping
Day 2 - POLE LINE ROAD [MODERATE] - Free camping
Day 3 - POLE LINE ROAD [MODERATE] - Motel - $$
Day 4 - BEACH DAY - SAN FELIPE - Motel - $$
Day 5 - MATOMI WASH [DIFFICULT] - Beach campo camping - $
Day 6 - PIONEER TRAIL [DIFFICULT] - Motel - $
Day 7 - MISSION IMPOSSIBLE [DIFFICULT] - Motel - $
Day 8 - DRIVING DAY [SAN QUENTIN OR SAN FELIPE] coin toss :lol: - Motel or Free camping
Day 9 - DRIVING DAY USA POE based on coin toss :lol: - Sleep in own bed (Priceless)

Here is the last update for our route. Several drivers are coming in from the USA. One driver is coming from CANADA. Several will be coming from SAN FELIPE, a few from Ensenada and Tijuana making this an International trail event.

Magazine personnel will NOT be along for this run due to their participation in the KING OF THE HAMMERS event preceeding "THE IMPOSSIBLE".

Rich T has a welder on his new LJ:!:
Rich T and Paul W have prerun POLE LINE ROAD and MATOMI WASH :light:
Perry M has prerun POLE LINE ROAD :light:
Rich T has previously run THE PIONEER TRAIL :light:
MISSION IMPOSSIBLE has not been prerun and remains a MYSTERY :!:

LET'S TACKLE THE TRAILS AND SHRED SOME TIRES!! :lol:

[Edited on 2-2-2019 by Ken Cooke]

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 07:07 PM

Pioneer Mine road too rough for you?

Harald Pietschmann
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 08:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Pioneer Mine road too rough for you?

A 5 hour trail run is long enough per day. Hit the trail at 9 am, break 60-90 minutes for lunch, and stop to set up camp at 3:00 pm.

Mission Impossible offers great driving and camping. La Turquesa is cool. I can't wait to play on Matomi Wash. Pioneer Mine? :?:

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 05:12 AM

I think pioneer mine trail is the one from Punta final to the road that goes from cocos to the coast. Great option.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 07:52 AM

What vehicles are we allowed to bring?

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
I was thinking about doing a more challenging run in early 2019. Something similar to my 'Baja Grande' 4WD runs from 2005-2010, but more unrelenting, with better food and accommodations along the way, and the kinds of trails that keep out most sensible people.:light:

I will spend my Presidents Day weekend pouring over the Baja Almanac and my old 4WD run notes before posting on this upcoming event. What it will include will be;
1. Matomi wash - Rock crawling
2. La Turquesa - Rock crawling/we don't need no stinkin roads (to Hwy 1)
3. Alfonsinas - We gotta eat and sleep somewhere!
4. Mission Santa Maria "Mission Impossible"
5. El Rosario - We gotta eat and sleep somewhere!

The requirements and monies will be collected at a later date so that our accommodations will be reserved on time. If you back out, the monies will get pooled into the pot to pay for everyone's fish tacos on your dime. Can I say, "FREE FOOD IS INCLUDED??"

Start building up for ++THE IMPOSSIBLE++

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 10:58 AM

I think Paul W just did the Pioneer Mine road plus more.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 11:29 AM

Boy...I can't wait to drive that trail! If you guys in your rock crawlers want a challenge, try getting around my hopelessly high centered Kia in a spot like that.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 11:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Here is the thread on the road... 4x4abc photos of it: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=82414

Thanks for the background info David.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 11:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
What vehicles are we allowed to bring?

Modified 4WD
Tow points front and rear
CB radio and/or HAM radio
Spare gasoline cans
Heavy duty tires with a spare

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 12:06 PM

The picture is just like it was last month. (1/18/2018). Very slow. Took us till dark to get to LAB (however we did have a 10AM start in San Felipe. My post has the GPS track attached. http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=82414&pag...
PW
=======

Here is the Pioneer Mine/Molino de Lacy road in April 2016 (from Rich T):

[Edited on 2-17-2018 by PaulW]
Akula
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 09:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
I was thinking about doing a more challenging run in early 2019. Something similar to my 'Baja Grande' 4WD runs from 2005-2010, but more unrelenting, with better food and accommodations along the way, and the kinds of trails that keep out most sensible people.:light:

I will spend my Presidents Day weekend pouring over the Baja Almanac and my old 4WD run notes before posting on this upcoming event. What it will include will be;
1. Matomi wash - Rock crawling
2. La Turquesa - Rock crawling/we don't need no stinkin roads (to Hwy 1)
3. Alfonsinas - We gotta eat and sleep somewhere!
4. Mission Santa Maria "Mission Impossible"
5. El Rosario - We gotta eat and sleep somewhere!

The requirements and monies will be collected at a later date so that our accommodations will be reserved on time. If you back out, the monies will get pooled into the pot to pay for everyone's fish tacos on your dime. Can I say, "FREE FOOD IS INCLUDED??"

Start building up for ++THE IMPOSSIBLE++

Will this be a continuation after doing the Pole Line Road or will this be a separate trip Ken?
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2018 at 08:22 PM

I have a few significant changes to mention. Akula and I are planning the run to take place from February 16, 2019 through approximately February 22nd. If you do not have enough time off from work, you can break from the group on Monday February 18th as we will run the Pole Line Road from The Laguna Salada at Hwy 2 down to the canyons south of Guadalupe Hot Springs and out at Hwy 5 at La Ventana.

From that point, we will drive south to San Felipe where we will restock our supplies and pick up a black diamond trail just outside of San Felipe. From there, we will travel south to Gonzaga Bay to kick back on the bay for a day then either return back up Hwy 5 to the USA or do one last run to Mission Impossible.

I have to return to work on Monday February 25th, so timing will be everything. Maybe we will cut out the extra San Felipe trail.

I'm open to input from all participants.

[Edited on 5-6-2018 by Ken Cooke]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2018 at 10:33 PM

Hi Ken, what is the Black Diamond Trail?

A serious 1 day rock trail on the outskirts of town. Paul W, Richard and a few guys know about it. It's a black diamond - serious 4x4s only.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-6-2018 at 08:51 AM

I don't know if it applies here, but 'Black Diamond' in ski area terms refers to the 'Most Difficult' trails.

The level of difficulty varies from one area to another, but on a big mountain it usually indicates hazards that require above average skills.

There can be several black diamond trails in the same area, and they are posted with signs with the black diamond on them.

[Edited on 5-6-2018 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-6-2018 at 09:05 AM

Great answer AK! I think you got it!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2018 at 09:40 AM

Looks like Paul doesn't know what you are talking about either Ken?

Yesterday, I chatted with Akula and we are examining the 4WD trails to run in Baja for February 2019. Here are some ideas that we kicked around.

Akula's idea:
1. Run the Pole Line Road - some rocks, but comfortable climate (not too hot due to elevation on trail).
2. Visit San Felipe, Gonzaga Bay and LA Bay.

Rich T's idea:
1. Run black diamond (most difficult) 4WD trail located near San Felipe. It's challenging, but no longer than one day.
2. Run Pioneer Mine Road.

Ken's ideas:
1. Run Mission Impossible - it's a moderate 4 hour trail with some outstanding scenary and camping opportunities. This can be ran after the Pole Line Road or exclusively.

2. --delete Pioneer Mine Road-- reason: The Pioneer Mine Road (black diamond trail) with it's description sounds really tough. Tough enough that it deserves to be ran exclusively, not in conjunction with any other trail. Just my thoughts.

3. --multi-day trails should be run in the winter - if possible, as my tolerance for direct sunlight gets challenged, as the last Pole Line Run with it's midday road building along 'Bad Hill' was my definition of 'hardcore' and possibly doing that twice in one week doesn't sound like what I am up for (physically and/or mentally).

Take it as you may, this is simply a planning thread to discuss a 3-Day to one week Jeep trek along moderate to most-challenging 4WD trails in Baja California. I plan to stay in Baja for one complete week with Akula (and our respective wives). I want it to be comfortable for our wives as well.

For well-prepared 4wd participants, these ideas are here to discuss, expand on, etc.

[Edited on 5-6-2018 by Ken Cooke]

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 5-6-2018 at 06:49 PM

I would consider Pioneer Mine Road easier than Pole Line Road - maybe 3 hours from Punta Final to Coco's. Can be done with Grand Cherokee an 30x9.50 tires

Harald Pietschmann
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2018 at 09:54 PM
Pole Line Road in JP Magazine (June 2017)

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2018 at 06:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
I would consider Pioneer Mine Road easier than Pole Line Road - maybe 3 hours from Punta Final to Coco's. Can be done with Grand Cherokee an 30x9.50 tires

===
We can disagree. No need for 4low on the pole line. 4Low on Pioneer is necessary to creep over the big boulders. I cannot imagine a Tacoma pickup even coming close to making it on Pioneer like one was successful on Pole line. Time for your do-over on Pioneer because I found some pretty big rocks that we had to pass over.
Having said that your skill level makes it easier with your rig noted. The rest of us need better equipment.

There is still one more difficult path that no one has mentioned. That is the west end of Huatamote. No record of anybody anybody with any kind of rig making it thru since Nora. Now it is a horribly washed out passage. I walked it once and decided I would need some help with winching. Short trip with big drop offs.

BTW Harald, you should find the mini summit to your liking. Your rig would do it just fine. Even without all the rock stacking we had to do for less adequate rigs.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2018 at 09:08 AM

Advice for Ken:
For easiest passage
Matomi - go from east to west. - easier and avoids overheating in the deep sand going up hill.
Mini summit - go from west to east - required. Not sure going east to west is possible for more than 3 rigs at a time due to all the winching required. Going down hill is always better.
Pioneer - go from north to south. But south to north wont be much different. In that case don't spend any time at Coco's as you will need lots of time on the trail.
Pole Line - go east to west. The trip would include all most of the road, good in case the fence at the north end is more substantial and cannot be bypassed. Disadvantage is the mileage is greater out and back. Top off in San Felipe beginning and end.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  18

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.