BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  18
Author: Subject: "THE IMPOSSIBLE" 4WD Run FEBRUARY 16-24, 2019 [update 2 Feb 2019] - FINAL ROUTE
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 07:36 PM

Best wishes to your lovely wife and speedy recover. Take care Ken
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 10:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Best wishes to your lovely wife and speedy recover. Take care Ken

Thank you, Larry!

NE14Baja
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2018 at 12:41 PM
Monies?

Any idea what the cost of the trip requirements will be?
Lodging and group meals? Obviously I’ll take care of my fuel needs.
Sounds like a trip we’d be interested in.
Camping along the trails?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2018 at 11:48 AM

The camping part cost what you bring to eat and drink plus gas. There may be times when everyone may eat at a restaurant, like in San Felipe and Gonzaga Bay. It may be a set down place or a roadside place. Other wise if you stay at a motel before and after the trip. You'll want pesos for gas.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-15-2018 at 03:15 PM

On at least one of Ken's group trips, they stayed at a motel in El Rosario. There may be some campground fees if they stay in one.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 7-15-2018 at 05:58 PM

After keeping track of spending on many trips my average is $100 bucks a day if i am alone and $75 a day if i am splitting cost. This includes insurance, gas. Beer, food and lodging sometimes. It could be done cheaper but i choose not to.
NE14Baja
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2018 at 07:43 PM
Sounds Good

Thx for the feedback, I’m good with the personal costs for fuel, food, and other expenditures.
I apologize, I should have been more clear in my initial post. I wanted to know how much money was to be collected by Ken prior to the trip.
I always carry extra fuel, water, food and necessary camping gear when traveling in Baja.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2018 at 10:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by NE14Baja  
Thx for the feedback, I’m good with the personal costs for fuel, food, and other expenditures.
I apologize, I should have been more clear in my initial post. I wanted to know how much money was to be collected by Ken prior to the trip.
I always carry extra fuel, water, food and necessary camping gear when traveling in Baja.

I won't be collecting any monies from participants. Too much bookkeeping would be involved on my part. I will set up lodging for participants to follow through and reserve on their part. I will have more set up as we progress through July into August. Thanks for your interest in this run!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2018 at 10:22 PM
Tourist Visa

We will need to stop in Mexicali to get Tourist Visas for those that will be traveling to points south of the Pole Line Road (to LA Bay). I will remind and inform everyone more on this later. :!:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 04:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
There is a new border crossing at Mexicali (west) now... and the new building is on the left with lots of parking (before you cross the red/green light point) as I understand it from Facebook posting by Mary of Playa Mexico. They told her that the INM office has not moved yet so she had to go a block or two over to the old building at the old crossing. It should be relocated soon. The good news was lots of parking!

I will watch this - maybe grab some Tacos in Mexicali in December. Thanks! :light:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2018 at 11:21 PM

I uploaded the tentative itinerary to my Google Docs page. PM me with your email address and I will share it with you.

'The Impossible' balances relaxation with challenging 4WD trails. Jeeps will do well on this run - pickup trucks might have a small amount of difficulty. The trails include;

Pole Line Road
Matomi Canyon
Mission Impossible

Our group will only spend 2 nights in hotels - San Felipe and El Rosario

The wives wanted some time at the beach, so there will be a non-driving day in Gonzaga Bay where everyone can go on a boat tour of the bay, paddle board, kayak, go walking or running, fishing, or just eating tacos at Alfonsina's.

Because of climatic conditions, we will avoid camping in canyons (for obvious reasons). We will keep it on the cheap which everyone will appreciate, but some luxuries will include eating at Mama Espinoza Restaurante, the Malecon in San Felipe and cold showers while soaking in the sun.

I will look into making t-shirts, hoodies and stickers for this event. It should be fun!!

[Edited on 7-18-2018 by Ken Cooke]

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 7-18-2018 at 07:22 AM

I may want to go on this run but since I don't have a Jeep. Skip the boulder hoping days. Run with you guys the other days.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2018 at 01:23 PM

Suggested hard parts for "The Impossible"

Akula told me last night that he plans on upgrading differential covers for his Jeep, and that might not be a bad idea. I plan on this as my wheeling buddy Bobby had to rescue a Jeep in Big Bear that pried open a stock (steel) differential cover losing valuable differential oil all over the trail.

This is the Differential cover that he plans to upgrade to in time for "The Impossible"

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2018 at 02:01 PM

Heavy diff covers are not for desert like Matomi. What we use is a skid so the thing will slide over the rock. A skid that protects the pinion and u-joint is just as important.

[Edited on 7-18-2018 by PaulW]
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2018 at 02:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
I may want to go on this run but since I don't have a Jeep. Skip the boulder hoping days. Run with you guys the other days.

It will be rugged all of the days we are out there, Larry. Cold nights too. Let me know if you plan on attending.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-18-2018 at 02:26 PM

February is very very cold at night but very pleasant by day. Rain on the gulf side is not likely, as it is desert thanks to the sierra.

Here was a really fun Nomad President's Day weekend group Matomi Reunion camp we had at Nuevo Mazatlan with a visit to Shell Island on Saturday and drive to Matomi Canyon on Sunday. It was similar to what we did on Prez Day Weekend in 2001, based from El Camote's place in El Dorado Ranch.

We went to Valle Chico via the Azufre Pass trail, down to the Matomi waterfalls, and then out via Arroyo Matomi to Hwy. 5 and back to Nuevo Mazatlan....
http://vivabaja.com/204

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

exclamation.gif posted on 7-18-2018 at 09:18 PM
"Impossible" trail communications (from $25)

Since I am running this 4WD event as a Just Runs 4WD Club run, I have some requirements to follow. As such, HAM radio is required and CB is being nullified as of January 1, 2019.
http://justruns.com/test/2018/03/20/required-equipment-chang...

For the price of a Family Service Radio (FRS), a much better unit can be purchased that will provide superior coverage and communications. The Baofeng UV-5 costs about $25 and provides usage that someone can grow with, rather than quickly grow out of.
https://baofengtech.com/uv-5r

I will begin to work on gaining my HAM licensing. I heard that the test is not very difficult to pass. I will still continue to have a CB radio in my Jeep (which does not require a license of any kind).

While this will be a major setback to your casual dirt road boondocker, anyone who has spent more than 1 day using CB radio knows that trail communication suffers as one travels through canyons and over large distances. The noise (skip) can be intolerable as well. Just throwing this out there, as I want to up my game and stay compliant with the 4WD club that I operate with.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2018 at 06:45 AM

I have some experience with radios.
The comment to convert the off roaders to 2meter radios still has many pitfalls. Asking the CB guys to convert to 2meter is a questionable concept.
The biggest issue is what band do or should you use. The answer is the HAM 2 meter band of the VHF network requires a license. However, all the radios I know about can be modified to include transmit and receive over the two family radio bands and can include the NOAA band. So what I do for VHF in the USA I turn down my power and use the family band which is open with no license. But, the CB is what everybody uses in the USA. For example, if you go to Moab it is all CB with a few pairs using VHF on their private frequencies. In Baja radio rules are never enforced so the use of very high power is common, and all bands including the marine, commercial, Ham, and family bands are in common use. Most of the race teams that have not converted to Sat-Radio are using 110watt VHF units.
I have been using both CB and 2meter for almost 20 years and I have experienced many of the issues.
In Baja we use the VHF commercial band which as you know it is the same 2meter band. Both systems require proper installation and a good antenna. A feature that gets lost by a lot of the users. The CB system is limited to 5 watts and the result is poor communication except for use the peer to peer use for a trail ride where line of sight is the usual situation.
BTW my fine tuned CB works great for significant distances and my unit is probably better than 80% of my buddies.
The VHF system sure works better for long distances provided you have the necessary power. Of course, the hand held (HH) 2meter unit have 5 watts, and the result is no better than the CB. This is a proven fact. And yes, I have several HH VHF radios with all the bands open, I use it with a mag mount and for sure it is comparable with my solidly installed CB on my Jeep. Expect to pay for a great VHF radio system for your rig. Around $200-250 should be the goal for a top of the line DIY install and tuning including parts.
What we are all using in Baja are Ham and commercial 2 meter units with 25 to 75 watts (50 watt seems to be the most common). The success of the 2meter unit is the proper antenna setup with an NMO mount and a proper SWR tuned whip. The mag mounts are a serious compromise. Read this link for how/where to mount an antenna on a Jeep: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-cb-ham-radios-128/here-wh... On the Pole line run I attended I monitored the chat on the CB and noticed the poor quality, probably because of poor installation? Antenna tuning and location on the various rigs is most suspect.
As far as communicating in a deep canyon neither CB or a 75 watt VHF unit will perform similarly, but the high power being better. All radio signals are mostly line of sight.
Bottom line is no, I do not have a HAM license and will not be getting one. My CB work great in the USA and in Baja I exclusively use my Ham setup.
Regards.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 7-19-2018 at 07:27 PM

What frequency we running? I suggest 156.70 mhz which will be on marine 14.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2018 at 10:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
What frequency we running? I suggest 156.70 mhz which will be on marine 14.

Suggestion sounds good. Let's wait until the week before the run. $25 radios will need to be purchased.

Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  18

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.