BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  11    13    15  ..  18
Author: Subject: "THE IMPOSSIBLE" 4WD Run FEBRUARY 16-24, 2019 [update 2 Feb 2019] - FINAL ROUTE
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-6-2018 at 10:08 AM

I don't want one, as I am a former and recovering Jeep owner!
I am just HAPPY to see Jeep returning to the pickup truck world. The LJ was nice, but having 4 doors and room for friends or family is really a good deal or just more 'dust-free' storage in the back seat area.
The new Gladiator is available (factory-stock) with 33" tires and a front camera to help navigate when you don't have a spotter. The Rubicon package is the model I would choose, naturally.
Ken, can you put up an image of a 4-door Tacoma OffRoad 4x4, 5 ft. bed, with the same figures as the ones above, for comparison?
Thanks!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 12-18-2018 at 09:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I don't want one, as I am a former and recovering Jeep owner!
I am just HAPPY to see Jeep returning to the pickup truck world. The LJ was nice, but having 4 doors and room for friends or family is really a good deal or just more 'dust-free' storage in the back seat area.
The new Gladiator is available (factory-stock) with 33" tires and a front camera to help navigate when you don't have a spotter. The Rubicon package is the model I would choose, naturally.
Ken, can you put up an image of a 4-door Tacoma OffRoad 4x4, 5 ft. bed, with the same figures as the ones above, for comparison?
Thanks!

Looking at the current batch of cars, crossovers and trucks, this is one of the bright spots in consumer motoring. Low air dams, hopped up cars on minivan chassis's, and large wheels with skinny tires are the rage now. The Gladiator looks like a fun vehicle with real capabilities. David, I know that one Jeep product 4 decades ago traumatized you, but these Gladiators look more fun than a Tacoma. My Dad (RIP) also owned a full-sized Cherokee. He serviced it himself (as I also do), but it guzzled gas with it's full-time 4wd drivetrain and 360 v8.

After looking at the competition, I will likely consider a Gladiator. What turns me off of new Jeeps are the pretentious, adventure types that refuse to wave back at drivers in anything older than a 2007 JK Unlimited Rubicon. Can you say $Phony$??

But, these people will admire/want to be your friend for 5-6 years while the Jeep is still current. Driving my 2003½ Jeep Rubicon each day is still a treat. I'm considering taking the top off with the 80°F weather for the next couple of days!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2018 at 09:59 AM

Good for you Ken, keep on Jeep'n!
My Mexican-made 2010 Tacoma will be my final vehicle but I will enjoy seeing all new Jeep products and dream of restoring 1940's Willys-Overland 4x4s if I come into big money!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2018 at 04:24 PM

Good for you Ken, keep on Jeep'n!
My Mexican-made 2010 Tacoma will be my final vehicle but I will enjoy seeing all new Jeep products and dream of restoring 1940's Willys-Overland 4x4s if I come into big money!

I know where you can modify your 2010!!

IMG_20181219_152321.jpg - 103kB

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2018 at 04:47 PM

LOL, no thanks on that. If I can get to Mission Santa María with my IFS truck, I am good! Cameron's new off-road fab shop, Baja HQ in San Juan Capistrano, does Toyota mods.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2018 at 11:15 PM

Check the Baja Classifieds thread: t-shirt and hoodie orders are going out on December 30th.

Link to t-shirt/hoodie thread:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=91764

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2018 at 11:27 PM
Jeep prep

The super flex joint on my rear triangulated link system failed, so I'm in the shop waiting for the part to be replaced.

My CB radio outlasted it welcome, so will get replaced with a Cobra CB. I might stick with a Handheld VHF unit for now.

My air lines aren't connected to the locking differentials and will need to be plugged into the lockers.

The exhaust that routes around the rear trilink suspension is getting replaced with a quieter cat back system that doesn't drone.

New discs and shoes by EBC are going on to replace the original discs with 190,000 miles.

The original clutch? Not sure if it stays or gets replaced. It shifts like new. :?:

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2018 at 06:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  

New discs and shoes by EBC are going on to replace the original discs with 190,000 miles.

I love the EBC pads that I've put on both my Rangers. Far outlast any other brand I've tried, excellent stopping.

John

[Edited on 12-23-2018 by John Harper]
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2018 at 10:47 AM

My Rubicon Express rear triangulated upper link system had a bad heim joint. It's been replaced under warranty and now the Jeep rides just like new!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2018 at 10:54 AM

Please let me know via u2u if you would like to order a t-shirt or a hoodie. Prices are in the Baja Classifieds thread.

I can either hand deliver into Playas de Tijuana or mail to the continental United States. Funds payable through PayPal.

IMG_20181016_184250.jpg - 73kBIMG_20181016_184223.jpg - 67kB

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 1-8-2019 at 06:07 PM

Anyone still in? Looking good for me so far.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2019 at 12:44 AM

I am sure it will be memorable, like the Pole Line trip we did with Ken in 2015!

Do you have an inReach or Spot? I can share where you guys are here on Nomad like I do for Graham.

ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2019 at 10:35 AM

I am sure it will be memorable, like the Pole Line trip we did with Ken in 2015!

Do you have an inReach or Spot? I can share where you guys are here on Nomad like I do for Graham.

Sent it to your email. Share what ever you want.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2019 at 01:23 PM

Thank Ed, I will try to do that so all of Baja Nomad can enjoy being along for the ride, as it were!

EDIT: I may be in Baja myself some of those days, so I will update when I get back north.

[Edited on 1-9-2019 by David K]

Nextlevelbaja

Mood: Exited

[*] posted on 1-9-2019 at 09:04 PM

Sounds like a fun trip. I am very interested in the pioneer trail and love the black diamond stuff.

Love Baja as much as me? Want to see more photos of Baja? Check out my Next level baja Instagram page
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2019 at 04:54 PM

Is JT the new Gladiator model name (like JK is the Wrangler) or is that just your abbreviation for Jeep Truck?

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2019 at 05:58 AM

Perry M. from Yuma, Az will be attending 'El Imposible' with another driver/friend. He ran the Pole Line Road in November and reports that it was passable going east to west.

Larry - Bajatrailrider texted my wife yesterday with the news that his section of Baja is completely soaked from recent rains. We will skip the Mission Impossible trail due to my concerns of a deep water crossing at the swamp and possibly COLD nighttime temperatures.

David - JT might be the designated for the Jeep pickup. It sure is a beauty.

ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 05:26 AM

Hey Ken. Found out yesterday that I wont be able to make this trip.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 11:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

Sorry you can't make the run, Ed. I'll still have your tshirt.

ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2019 at 04:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

Sorry you can't make the run, Ed. I'll still have your tshirt.

PM me a total with shipping and your paypal .
 Pages:  1  ..  11    13    15  ..  18

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.