BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  14    16    18
Author: Subject: "THE IMPOSSIBLE" 4WD Run FEBRUARY 16-24, 2019 [update 2 Feb 2019] - FINAL ROUTE
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 01:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
It looks like the Baja Pole Line group and CODE OFF ROAD are SHARING the same route for days #1 and #2 of my IMPOSSIBLE 4WD event! Furious is not the word!! How dare they!!!:mad:

Link: https://www.lavozdelafrontera.com.mx/deportes/anuncia-code-c...

If they dont have a permit to close the road, then stand your ground, use and occupy the right of way consistent with local law!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 2-9-2019 at 08:18 AM

We will have a chance to update your GPS track next Saturday, Paul. I can't wait to get back out there.:bounce:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2019 at 08:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
FYI: The CODE race is to the west of the Guadalupe Rd extending maybe 10-12 miles south of Hwy 2. I'll post a map soon.

http://www.codeoffroad.com.mx/mrgp2019/CODE_MRGP_2019.pdf

[Edited on 2-7-2019 by TMW]

It appears that KM 38 may allow traffic past the race course. Otherwise, it's La Ventana as our go-around to travel south.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2019 at 02:47 PM

Ken you have a choice of going down the Guadalupe Rd at KM28 or the road down Laguna Salada at KM24. The race course is all to the west.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2019 at 10:49 PM

Ken you have a choice of going down the Guadalupe Rd at KM28 or the road down Laguna Salada at KM24. The race course is all to the west.

I want to avoid Ventana fue to the extra driving involved. Plus, checking out the race might be fun.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-10-2019 at 12:14 AM

??
La Ventana is where you come out onto Hwy. 5 to continue on to San Felipe... the shortest and easiest exit from Pole Line Road Run's end at Arroyo Grande.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2019 at 06:14 AM

Our meet up will be in Progreso. Running South to Progreso at the start of the run will involve a long go around. But, it's our Plan B.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2019 at 11:30 AM

I am not following you, Ken. Sorry, it is probably me being old, but could you say a bit more... like are you doing about the same run as we did in 2015 (down Salada to Pole Line Road then east on the road to Hwy. 5)?

Where is this "long go around"? From where to where? I am a visual person. :light::coolup::P;):cool:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2019 at 12:35 PM

Ken can correct me if I'm wrong but the meet up after crossing the border will be in Progresso which is the western side of Mexicali probably at the taco place. Some can top off their gas tanks too. The long go around is the time it takes getting their.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2019 at 01:54 PM

The San Felipe contingent plan to meet the group near Mano Jct
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2019 at 05:32 PM

Ken can correct me if I'm wrong but the meet up after crossing the border will be in Progresso which is the western side of Mexicali probably at the taco place. Some can top off their gas tanks too. The long go around is the time it takes getting their.

Thanks Tom. It is the "south to Progreso" line I am not getting. South to Mano or south to La Ventana or south to San Felipe make sense ...? No worries, I just like getting the facts and visualize the fun they will have like when you and I were with them. Anyone see Frigatebird lately?

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2019 at 07:43 PM

Sorry guys, I have been out looking for a lost cat all day.
1. From Calexico, we will drive to Progreso for gas and lunch
Several drivers will be meeting there in the morning.
2. Our original route was to go west along Hwy 2 to the graded road leading to Guadalupe Canyon. Unfortunately, a CODE OFF-ROAD race will begin at 7am and spectators will likely clog the road making passage difficult. Traveling south along KM 28 or just west of the racecourse along KM 38 are likely our options. Likely, because we won't know until we get there exactly how crowded the road South will be.
3. Our other option will be to travel the toll road East of the Laguna Salada to Hwy 5 and down to La Ventana. The San Felipe contingent will meet us at Mano Junction.
4. We will set up camp at around 4:30 pm and get a roaring campfire in place. The Impossible will get underway promptly on Sunday morning.

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 2-11-2019 at 04:07 AM

I was there for a code race several years ago. The road the the hot springs was wide open. Most spectators were parked 100 yards or more off the road, adjacent to the course. Looked like that was the pits also.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2019 at 08:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
Sorry guys, I have been out looking for a lost cat all day.
1. From Calexico, we will drive to Progreso for gas and lunch
Several drivers will be meeting there in the morning.
2. Our original route was to go west along Hwy 2 to the graded road leading to Guadalupe Canyon. Unfortunately, a CODE OFF-ROAD race will begin at 7am and spectators will likely clog the road making passage difficult. Traveling south along KM 28 or just west of the racecourse along KM 38 are likely our options. Likely, because we won't know until we get there exactly how crowded the road South will be.
3. Our other option will be to travel the toll road East of the Laguna Salada to Hwy 5 and down to La Ventana. The San Felipe contingent will meet us at Mano Junction.
4. We will set up camp at around 4:30 pm and get a roaring campfire in place. The Impossible will get underway promptly on Sunday morning.

So if you can't get past the race at Laguna Salada, you will go arond on the highways to La Ventana... but what about the people waiting at Mano... only the Pole Line road connects those two points?

However, if you took the Km. 87 (Km. 86.8) Ej. Saldaña road at the sand dunes across to Cohabuzo Jcn. then you all can do the Pole Line road together. Your gasoline reserves will be low without extra cans.

[Edited on 2-11-2019 by David K]

ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2019 at 06:06 PM

I'm in for the first 4 days only. This job is killing me. 6 more years and I am done. Haha.
Thanks Ken for not having a problem with a part timer.
Do we have an updated participant list?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2019 at 06:15 PM

Ed, please have your inReach on, I would love to see where Ken is leading the gang this time when I get back. Have a great trip! I will be on the other side and further south. Rain is coming in a couple days big time to San Diego and east, and down to El Rosario on Sunday... If you believe the forecast.

ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2019 at 06:40 PM

I will have it on. Going to try to sleep inside my jeep. Rain will make it interesting.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2019 at 09:42 PM
participant list

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

Do we have an updated participant list?

Tijuana - Victor S. + wife (PLR/Matomi/Pioneer Trl/Impossible)

MXL - Saturnino + wife and 2 other drivers w/respective vehicles. (PLR only)

San Felipe - Chloe, Rich, Paul (PLR/Matomi/Pioneer Trl)

Canada - Daryl + wife (PLR/Matomi/Pioneer Trl/Impossible)

Local - Ken + wife, David Y + son (PLR/Matomi/Pioneer Trl/Impossible)

Arizona - Perry +1. (PLR/Matomi/Pioneer Trl/Impossible), Ed (PLR only)

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2019 at 09:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
I will have it on. Going to try to sleep inside my jeep. Rain will make it interesting.

No rain in the forecast for our run. :!:

El Centro, CA - https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USCA0332:1:US
San Felipe - https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/MXBC0145:1:MX

Nights will get chilly though. :!::!:

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2019 at 08:05 AM

Race conflict
I would not have any concern for you route thru that area.
Spectators do not arrive early and you can always avoid the race track ofre even drive on teh track.
Last time I attended that race we drove all around with no issues.
Expect to pay an entrance fee when you enter the course area just south of highway 2. Not a big fee, but it would be good to carry several hundred pesos. Fee is compensation to the land owners for use of their private property.
 Pages:  1  ..  14    16    18

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.