BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  15    17  
Author: Subject: "THE IMPOSSIBLE" 4WD Run FEBRUARY 16-24, 2019 [update 2 Feb 2019] - FINAL ROUTE
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-12-2019 at 08:17 AM

Yes, a lady collected a fee from us in 2015 to drive the mile between Hwy. 2 and the lakebed. She wasn't there 2 days later when I passed by going to Tecate.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 2-12-2019 at 09:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Race conflict
I would not have any concern for you route thru that area.
Spectators do not arrive early and you can always avoid the race track ofre even drive on teh track.
Last time I attended that race we drove all around with no issues.
Expect to pay an entrance fee when you enter the course area just south of highway 2. Not a big fee, but it would be good to carry several hundred pesos. Fee is compensation to the land owners for use of their private property.

Thanks for your information, Paul :light:

rich t
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2019 at 09:02 PM

Ken, There is one more couple coming from San Felipe, Harvey and Marilyn Schuler, Jeep JK setup.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2019 at 10:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rich t  
Ken, There is one more couple coming from San Felipe, Harvey and Marilyn Schuler, Jeep JK setup.

Cool - Glad Harvey could make it!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2019 at 10:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Yes, a lady collected a fee from us in 2015 to drive the mile between Hwy. 2 and the lakebed. She wasn't there 2 days later when I passed by going to Tecate.

It's difficult when people collecting fees aren't wearing some sort of identification or provide a backstory on who they are collecting money for. I just give and hope that it's legitimate.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2019 at 12:24 PM

She gave us receipts, remember?

Did you see that Feb 12 video on going up Matomi canyon from Hwy. 5?
Looked that they were in a side by side buggy and were blocked by the same boulders in the narrows that I found in 2017.

https://www.relive.cc/view/rt10003494316

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-13-2019 at 01:27 PM

Cesar inquired about Matomi and was told it was a difficult passage, but doable by others that made it through.
There should be plenty of tracks.
IMO, westbound is more difficult than eastbound.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2019 at 01:40 PM

If the rocks stopped them how did the class 11 VWs get thru in the SF250 race last April. Two Class 11 VWs finished the race.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-13-2019 at 01:45 PM

The Class 11s got thru just fine.
Some other classes had to have winch help.
Difficulty is exaggerated by some.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 2-13-2019 at 06:26 PM

Heads up to everyone. In December at the Chinero military checkpoint I was given a very thorough search. They looked thru my clothes bag, my bathroom bag, my back pack. Emptied all the tools out of my toolbar and even took the batteries out of my flashlight. They were very careful and respectful but more thorough than ever before.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

eureka.gif posted on 2-13-2019 at 07:32 PM
DINNER STOP AT EL CHINERO!

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Heads up to everyone. In December at the Chinero military checkpoint I was given a very thorough search. They looked thru my clothes bag, my bathroom bag, my back pack. Emptied all the tools out of my toolbar and even took the batteries out of my flashlight. They were very careful and respectful but more thorough than ever before.

Thanks for the heads up Ed. With all of the Jeeps and Toyota, we'll make the best of it and have a bite to eat while waiting for our compadres. The worst thing will have to empty out the freezer section of my fridge. I don't want people putting their hands on my food. Yuck!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2019 at 07:43 PM

She gave us receipts, remember?

https://www.relive.cc/view/rt10003494316

The receipts part of the memory were wiped clean in the bote de basura of my mind. We will carry $5 to cover the 100 peso fee.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2019 at 07:59 PM

Of course, it was Christmas time! ;)

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2019 at 08:03 PM

Hey Ken and Ed, you guys have a great run!
I will be in El Rosario and Mission San Fernando on Sunday and Monday if all goes as planned. I look forward to seeing where you guys get to... Surely, some of the best of Baja!

ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2019 at 03:52 AM

Of course, it was Christmas time! ;)

As much 4 wheeling and shooting we do in Az it makes me nervous when they start looking under my seat and floormats with a flashlight even though I always check it before I go.
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2019 at 03:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  

Thanks for the heads up Ed. With all of the Jeeps and Toyota, we'll make the best of it and have a bite to eat while waiting for our compadres. The worst thing will have to empty out the freezer section of my fridge. I don't want people putting their hands on my food. Yuck!

Other times waved right thru. Maybe I looked suspicious or they were training a newbie.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-14-2019 at 09:33 AM

Hey Ed when we return from pole line trip. They serched the Nissan big time. Then asked Alma if she was there on her own free will.Haaaa she had some chose words in Esponol for them.;)
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2019 at 09:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Hey Ed when we return from pole line trip. They serched the Nissan big time. Then asked Alma if she was there on her own free will.Haaaa she had some chose words in Esponol for them.;)

I have an empty seat if you want to meet us in Mexicali.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2019 at 09:08 PM

Willy from Willy's Off Road, Tijuana plans to join us in Mexicali. I'll have more information by tomorrow. After Friday night, I'll sign off from this thread and focus on the trail.

DALE!:!:

Bug
Junior Nomad

Mood: Life can not get better than this!

[*] posted on 2-17-2019 at 07:47 PM

Hello Ken.. I made it home. Those guys that past you and the group. Where able to get the jeep running. So home Sunday 6;30 pm.. Chloe
 Pages:  1  ..  15    17  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.