BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12  ..  18
Author: Subject: "THE IMPOSSIBLE" 4WD Run FEBRUARY 16-24, 2019 [update 2 Feb 2019] - FINAL ROUTE
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2018 at 07:28 PM

Are shirts going to be for sale for people not on the run? Cool design...
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-27-2018 at 10:54 PM

Hey Ken any thinking on going past Coyotes and Mikes . I have been scouting new routes on my Dirt bike last two weeks. There is a route to go on Simson trail Past Cato rancho. Maybe able to get one time permission to run that route. as the Melings bought all that property.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2018 at 06:41 AM

Hopefully you are stating with Coyote? If so stop at Coyote and speak with Mike to find out the condition of the track.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 9-28-2018 at 07:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Hey Ken any thinking on going past Coyotes and Mikes . I have been scouting new routes on my Dirt bike last two weeks. There is a route to go on Simson trail Past Cato rancho. Maybe able to get one time permission to run that route. as the Melings bought all that property.

Maybe we can get that permission for our trip at the end of March.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-28-2018 at 07:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Hopefully you are stating with Coyote? If so stop at Coyote and speak with Mike to fiut the condition of the track.
. I have two great routes done on my bike behind locked gates have the key for one.the closed route from melings to simson trail if we stay at coyotes. I can try to get one time permission I have already asked.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 9-29-2018 at 11:45 AM

Hey everyone,

I am partnering with Ru KinKon (his Jeep alias) to establish a limited run of EL IMPOSIBLE WINE from Guadalupe Valley, Baja California! Stay tuned.

As for Mike's/El Coyote, due to time constraints, I won't be able to run the trails in that region and keep the trip at 9 days..

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2018 at 11:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Are shirts going to be for sale for people not on the run? Cool design...

Yes, I will make shirts, wine, stickers and hoodies available in November.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2018 at 11:53 AM

This morning at San Miguel Restaurante in Playas de Tijuana with Ru KinKon - Guadalupe Valley vinter.

IMG_20180929_115118.jpg - 69kB

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-30-2018 at 09:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
Hey everyone,

I am partnering with Ru KinKon (his Jeep alias) to establish a limited run of EL IMPOSIBLE WINE from Guadalupe Valley, Baja California! Stay tuned.

As for Mike's/El Coyote, due to time constraints, I won't be able to run the trails in that region and keep the trip at 9 days..

This is very very cool, Ken! :cool:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2018 at 04:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  

The last day, mplans are to begin in El Rosario and try to reach, then cross the border by dusk. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate and not produce rainfall and/or snowfall which would impact our travel that day. If anyone plans to run additional trails, I wish that my schedule would support additional days.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-30-2018 at 04:24 PM

Hey everyone,

So, an off-road wine that tastes like 2-buck-chuck mixed with tecate and monster energy drink?
(Based on the ads, I have always assumed that off-roaders only drink monster or tecate)

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2018 at 05:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Hey everyone,

So, an off-road wine that tastes like 2-buck-chuck mixed with tecate and monster energy drink?
(Based on the ads, I have always assumed that off-roaders only drink monster or tecate)

Mtn Goat - Please review Overland Journal before making your gross generalizations about what we do. Your extremely ignorant of anything non-urban/pro-conservationist.

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2018 at 05:57 PM
No Ken, neither

mtgoat666 is just in his world and has no room to accommodate others with a differing view of the world. Why he/she would wish to insert comment in this thread speaks to his/her state of mind. It is a forum open to members but most members with alternate ideas don't choose to display their ignorance or lack of tolerance.

John M
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 06:43 AM

I have been monitoring the storm impacts of Rosa and the possible impacts on my Baja run - El Imposible. During the best of times, this run has an ambitious schedule - featuring The 1942 Pole Line Road, Matomi Wash, Gonzaga Bay, and the Mission Impossible trail. But, with recent photographs illustrating this week's damage to infrastructure and roadways of Hwy 5 and San Felipe, it appears that a rapid response to road damage and flash flooding is of the utmost importance.

Currently, Military troops have been deployed to the most dire sections of highway south of San Felipe to construct bypass routes by hand. In the coming weeks, local participants of the El Imposible run will attempt a prerunner of Matomi Canyon and Matomi Wash. I will report back on their findings as they relate to our scheduled day run of the Matomi area. If we need to alter the planned trails, alternates such as the extreme 'Mini Summit' can be substituted in place of the likely (now) extreme Matomi Wash. Improvements to local infrastructure will need to be in place before this trails access and new rating can be given.

With Sergio on the horizon, the possibility of more storm damage and impassible roads exists. I will report back on road improvements, access to gasoline and supplies, and our likely modified route of 'El Imposible'. We will still hit the trail to Baja - it is yet to be determined if our route will include each of the trails and attractions on the 'El Imposible' event list:

-1942 Baja Pole Line Road
-Matomi Canyon and Wash
-Gonzaga Bay
-Coco's Corner
-Mission Impossible/Misión Sta María
-Mama Espinosas Seafood dinner

If Hwy 5 is restored to it's former glory, the above list will continue on. If not, our hotel stay in San Felipe will continue, however it would be prudent to skip room reservations as any disruption to our run schedule would impact our (my) room down payments.

[Edited on 10-7-2018 by Ken Cooke]

rich t
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 08:19 AM

If you want to do an extreme trail the Mini Summit is a good one, even when you here Matomi is not passible I have never found it to be that hard if you are set up for rock crawling.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 01:59 PM

I hope to hear that the latest flood has deposited new sand on the boulders in the Matomi Narrows rather than take what little was in there, away!

In the 1970s and 80s, it was difficult (with exposed boulders to drive over) but in the 2000s, it was easy as sand covered the boulders... Now in the mid- to late 2010s, it is difficult again.

Flash floods bring or take away sand!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2018 at 09:56 PM
4 more months

We're 4 months away and here is a list of our crew so far (first names only). If you're not on the list, please reply to this message or send me a U2U and I will place you on the list.

Ken (me)
Ed (Phoenix)
Buck (San Diego)
Daryl (B.C. Canada)
+2 Jeeps with Daryl (B.C. Canada) (!!)
Victor (Tijuana 4x4)
Saturnino (PLR only)
Huitzi (San Bernardino)
Rich (San Felipe)
Paul (San Felipe)
Chloe (San Felipe)
Victor (Phoenix, AZ)
David (San Diego)
Powell (San Diego)
Norman (San Diego)
Ricky (Los Angeles)
Mark (San Felipe)
Alex (Ensenada)
David (San Diego)

Pole Line Road will require everyone driving thru.

Matomi will be optional as David mentioned above the narrows will be challenging and some drivers don't want to risk their Jeeps while having to return to Canada one week later.

Mission Impossible may be flooded 4 feet at the swamp. Crossing the swamp will be optional.

The graphic designer in Seattle is working on the merchandise.

Rich T. and Paul W. plan to scout out Matomi narrows.

No hotels have been reserved as plans may change due to storm impacts. Please understand my planning is like a gamble with everything going on at the moment with regards to Hwy 5 damage.

Stay tuned:light:

[Edited on 10-9-2018 by Ken Cooke]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2018 at 10:07 AM

Ken (me)
Ed (Phoenix)
Buck (San Diego)
Daryl (B.C. Canada)
+2 Jeeps with Daryl (B.C. Canada) (!!)
Victor (Tijuana 4x4)
Saturnino (PLR only)
Huitzi (San Bernardino)
Rich (San Felipe)
Paul (San Felipe)
Chloe (San Felipe)
Victor (Phoenix, AZ)
David (San Diego)
Powell (San Diego)
Norman (San Diego)
Ricky (Los Angeles)
Mark (San Felipe)
Alex (Ensenada)
David (San Diego)

Add two more drivers -
Jerry - who attended the 2016 Pole Line Run
Harvey - an experienced Rock crawler

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 10-9-2018 at 07:40 PM

Put some new tread on tonight.

20181009_180846-1008x756.jpg - 151kB
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-9-2018 at 07:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Two "Davids" in San Diego?

Very common name. Maybe the most common. Common man. Sort of a bible thumper name, the famous bible guy was some Hebrew dude, had some kind of dispute with a big guy named Goliath.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12  ..  18

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.