BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  9    11    13  ..  18
Author: Subject: "THE IMPOSSIBLE" 4WD Run FEBRUARY 16-24, 2019 [update 2 Feb 2019] - FINAL ROUTE
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2018 at 08:01 PM

Man that is nice! I'm getting closer to selling my Rock crawler for one!
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 10-9-2018 at 08:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  

Thanks. I think I will put some acos coil spring adjusters to lift it about 2 inches . Get the belly up a little.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 10-9-2018 at 09:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Quote: Originally posted by advrider  

Thanks. I think I will put some acos coil spring adjusters to lift it about 2 inches . Get the belly up a little.

Ed, I envy your interior space. Those tires look like the will manage well in a post-Rosa Baja region.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2018 at 06:25 AM

Nice rig Ed.
Did not forget you. I have to dig up the freq list for you. I will send you a pic of my rig at that time.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2018 at 07:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Two "Davids" in San Diego?

Very common name. Maybe the most common. Common man. Sort of a bible thumper name, the famous bible guy was some Hebrew dude, had some kind of dispute with a big guy named Goliath.

Not really. I have not seen a Bill, Dave, Fred, Tom, John, Tim, or Jeff on my high school attendance rosters for years. These names are dying off.

Remember, today everyone's kid is "special" and have their own "special" names today. It's very odd, not like the old days, 666.

John
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-10-2018 at 11:35 PM

If I could go, it would be three in San Diego (County)... and you have my permission to add a K to my name! ;)

I hope you will come by and see the new and improved Baja Room at the new house, once we are unpacked! I am closer to both your house and I-15 than before!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2018 at 08:26 AM

Thanks for the invite David K. I was told that Matomi narrows would not be a suitable trail for pickup trucks, so you're ahead by not damaging your truck on such a rocky trail.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2018 at 08:40 AM

Matomi Narrows has been suitable many times for my three Tacomas and even my Subaru 4WD wagons (1978 to 2007), but not now, not until the sand returns.

1979: http://www.vivabaja.com/album/page5.html
2001: http://www.vivabaja.com/matomi/
2004: http://www.vivabaja.com/204/
2006: http://vivabaja.com/618/page4.html
2017:

[Edited on 10-11-2018 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2018 at 09:37 AM

Matomi is ever changing. Lots of flooding in San Felipe and El Dorado where the road damage was extensive.
So far not Matomi report since the storm just happened. Maybe one more storm is in the wings?
I am sure after the December holidays we can get a fresh report.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2018 at 09:28 AM

Stay tuned. I am working on the official website page. It will feature all of the merchandise available for this event!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2018 at 06:43 PM

Preliminary designs for El Imposible 2019

IMG_20181016_184041.jpg - 53kBIMG_20181016_184223.jpg - 80kB

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2018 at 07:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
[Update]

Day 1 - Mexicali Desert (staging near Pole Line Road)
Day 2 - Pole Line Road [difficult]
Day 3 - Pole Line Road [difficult]
Day 4 - San Felipe (sight seeing along the Malecon, groceries, staging near Matomi wash
Day 5 - Matomi Wash [difficult]
Day 6 - *non-driving day in Gonzaga Bay* (paddle boarding, boat tours, kayaking set up by Alfonsina's)
Day 7 - Gonzaga to Mission Impossible [difficult]
Day 8 - Mission Impossible to El Rosario [difficult]
Day 9 - El Rosario to USA (Tecate)

Due to damaged Bridges and roads reduced to rubble, this event schedule will need some 'trimming'. Gonzaga to CataviƱa to Tecate Is looking less possible at this point. But, that warm weather and coastal views should be a real treat after running the canyon trails we have planned. Just looking ahead 3 months..

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2018 at 12:33 PM

A drone video was just posted showing Highway 5 south of Puertecitos as easy driving with detours around washed-out bridges and missing roadbed being well-graded.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2018 at 01:45 PM

A drone video was just posted showing Highway 5 south of Puertecitos as easy driving with detours around washed-out bridges and missing roadbed being well-graded.

One issue will be obtaining gasoline and food in San Luis Gonzaga and additional travel times south along the Hwy 5. I am sure so trucks that deliver goods and merchandise will not be able to maneuver said detours. Not until the roads are fully repaired.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2018 at 05:50 PM

Ken, semis are traveling it now and were not long after the floods. I am sure if you ask before your trip, some Nomad will have been at Gonzaga to report if the station is open. The fuel arrived from the south on the dirt Chapala road before they paved the road in from San Felipe in late 2013.

ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2018 at 05:55 PM

Ken, semis are traveling it now and were not long after the floods. I am sure if you ask before your trip, some Nomad will have been at Gonzaga to report if the station is open. The fuel arrived from the south on the dirt Chapala road before they paved the road in from San Felipe in late 2013.

I will be driving by the first week of December.
rich t
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2018 at 07:18 PM
HWY 5 Road condition

Ken, I just drove to Gonzaga and back from San Felipe with a 1 ton truck, 10 cabover Camper pulling a 15 foot trailer with a 800 RZR and a 14 foot boat, it took 3 1/2 hours, the bypasses are all good, there is alot of road damage but the bypasses are all good. The gas station in Gonzaga was open, the hwy to San Felipe has no damage, where you come out of Matomi on hwy 5 looks great, it is all sand from what can be seen from the road, the Baja 1000 is coming out that way so that portion should be fine, when we go back around the 1st of the year Paul and I will pre run Matomi and Crazy Horse and give you an update, I would guess it will be years before they fix all the damage but it is better than it was 16 years ago. For you fishermen I caught a 20 pound Dorado by La Poma, pretty unusual to see them in that close.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2018 at 09:20 PM

Driving the gasoline in from Hwy 1 makes sense David.

Thanks for the prerun Rich!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2018 at 10:28 PM

Thanks to Rich T. for solving the missing link!

I had promised my wife that we wouldn't cut through that angry rancheros property this time. Rich shared the track to get us down the wash and to the White Tank landmark. So, no sneaking!

ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 07:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
Thanks to Rich T. for solving the missing link!

I had promised my wife that we wouldn't cut through that angry rancheros property this time. Rich shared the track to get us down the wash and to the White Tank landmark. So, no sneaking!

Good job Rich.
 Pages:  1  ..  9    11    13  ..  18

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.