BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  12    14    16  ..  18
Author: Subject: "THE IMPOSSIBLE" 4WD Run FEBRUARY 16-24, 2019 [update 2 Feb 2019] - FINAL ROUTE
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 1-26-2019 at 11:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

PM me a total with shipping and your paypal .
The week of February 11th, the shirts/hoodies will arrive, Ed. I'll be in contact.

Updated itinerary below. Thanks to Rich T., Paul W., Chloe, and Saturnino for prerunning the trail. See me about your complimentary t-shirt.

Run Announcement: El Imposible/The Impossible Baja 4WD run 2/16/19-2/24/19

Baja Run: Pole Line Road (Mexicali desert - 3 Days), Matomi Wash (San Felipe desert - 1 Day), Pioneer Trail (Gonzaga/Calamajue desert - 1-2 Days (estimated)).

Run Leader: Ken Cooke thedesertoutlaw@yahoo.com 951.255.1589

Specific Meeting location: 400 Imperial Blvd (CA-Route 111), Calexico, CA, 92231

Date of run: Saturday, February 16th, 2019 to Sunday, February 24th, 2019.

Meeting Time: 10 AM

Meeting Place: Pep Boys parking lot

Departure Time: 10:30 AM

Difficulty Rating 3-

Special equipment: auxiliary fuel cans (gerry cans) for Days 1-3 (El Progreso/Hwy 2 to San Felipe). Yank strap in case of “Mission Impossible” swamp stuck. Provisions for up to 3 nights along Pole Line Road. Passport/documentation for reentry into the United States after completion of run. Mexican auto insurance for legal travel across Mexican roads and highways.

Run Type: Bob tail camping run (incl. 2-3 nights in motel San Felipe - 2 nights after Pole Line Road, 1 night on way back to border).

Communications: Ham per 2019 Just Runs regulations and CB radio

Short wheelbase preferable, but full-size Broncos have made it through the Pole Line Road. Matomi is another story. Matomi will be optional as one other driver will make it a beach day while the rest of us tackle this black diamond Baja trail.

RSVP Required. RSVP via email at thedesertoutlaw@yahoo.com

Group limit: There is a soft limit of 15 vehicles. Generally, before a run of this type participants drop out at a rate of approximately 50%. This run will take place rain or shine.

Inspections: Please be prepared to show auto insurance for Mexico, auxiliary cans must be empty as importing fuel into Mexico is unlawful, documentation to return to United States for drivers and passengers.

Day 1 - 10 AM drivers meeting at Pep Boy's Parking lot. Brunch at Tacos El Morlan #2. Pole Line Road Day 1 - staging near Mano Junction.

Day 2 - Pole Line Road Day 2 - highlights include travel across sections of the 1942 cobblestone route that was built by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to establish a telegraph line from Ensenada to San Felipe during World War 2.

Day 3 - Canyon Jaquegel to Hwy 5. Our group will travel along the massive Jaquegel (yaa-kay-h’el) following the telegraph route straight out to Hwy 5 near the Laguna Salada. We will drive south about 1 hour to San Felipe where we will find our motel for the night with secure parking and after getting a hot shower, have dinner in town. Motel Night #1

Day 4 - San Felipe. Breakfast at 10 AM along the Malecon, sightseeing, trip to the beach, grocery shopping at Calimax in town. Motel Night #2

Day 5 - San Felipe. Early morning run - We will run the rocky Matomi Wash where Baja 250 racers provide a spectacle year after year. Afterward, we will pick up Hwy 5 near Puertecitos, driving south to Gonzaga Bay. We will find camp along the beach ($20/night) and set up our tents, get showers at Campo Grande and gas up.

Day 6 - Gonzaga Bay - Planned downtime with Alfonsina’s providing activities ranging from paddleboarding, kayaking and tours of the bay (for additional charge). Dinner will either be at one of the fine eateries in Gonzaga Bay or in camp with your fishing pole and a campfire.

Day 7 - Gonzaga Bay - Pioneer Trail. This trail will be my first time. It is scenic and not challenging at all. 4WD might not be needed.

Day 8 - Gonzaga Bay to San Felipe. We will take a casual drive back up Hwy 5 into San Felipe. Clean up our vehicles, get a hot meal, check into our motel and have a restful night before driving back into Mexicali the next morning.

Day 9 - San Felipe to Mexicali. We will have a group breakfast at 9 AM before leaving for Calexico. Stop in Mexicali for a quick lunch on the outskirts of town and hopefully cross into USA before 3 PM.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-26-2019 at 12:11 PM

So no Mission Santa María (Mission Impossible)?
I think you are wrong about Pioneer Mine Trail being 2WD or not challenging but agree in your plan to make that the final destination and enjoying some non-driving time at San Felipe and Gonzaga Bay. You do pop out just a few miles north of Coco's Corner, so will you visit there before heading back on Hwy. 5 to Gonzaga?

Pioneer Mine Trail (rich t photo from 2016. See more at: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=82843 )

Have a lot of fun Ken!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2019 at 01:30 PM

I updated the trip itinerary on Just Runs 4WD club's site. The Pioneer Trail is listed as MOST DIFFICULT with 1 TAD limited slip and/or locking differential required. The previous images for the hoodies/t-shirts and stickers show that it is 'easy'.

Mission Santa Maria is listed, but due to this being a moderate El Niño year with a healthy series of rains, I don't want to risk us encountering a deep water/mud big at the swamp on our way to Mission Santa Maria. Some of the guys I spoke with also feel the same way. Victor with a JK on 38" tires looked almost hesitant when I mentioned there might be mud in the swamp!

We can save the Mission for another year.
Our trek will take us back up Hwy 5 when the run is concluded.
A Moderate run (Pole Line Road) and two MOST DIFFICULT runs will be fine along with a few days spent beach combing and relaxing.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2019 at 06:41 AM

Please U2U me for hotel reservations. I am currently reserving rooms for two nights in San Felipe during our event.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 11:40 AM

We might check out the MISSION IMPOSSIBLE trail after all. David Y. isn't afraid of getting a little water on his 4 Runner!:lol:

I'll watch from THIS SIDE of the swamp! It's going to be interesting..

rich t
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 11:55 AM

Ken, You can drive up the window maker and park, if you want to see the Mission walk in from there, we did that a few years ago when there was to much water.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 12:08 PM

The Widowmaker (not window) ;) is just over 1 mile from the mission, and that is the toughest mile as it includes the Widowmaker grade, the bog (underwater 1/2 mile) some very deep dips just as you near the mission. The bog was the only place we had to help the one vehicle that did not have a rear locker or traction control (an older 4Runner).

Here is a road log of the entire driveable road:

ROAD LOG
0.0 Rancho Santa Ynez, take road through left gate, north of ranch.
0.9 FORK, go left/ uphill.
1.8 Deep Gully, 4WD climb out (if this scares you, go back!).
2.4 Rock pile, a road to left, go straight/ right fork.
4.7 Cement monument off to left (tracks continue past monument).
5.6 Arroyo crossing with palms.
9.9 Peninsular Divide, view of Punta Final on the gulf.
13.3 Top of the 'Widowmaker' grade.
14.4 MISION SANTA MARIA
15.4 Road enters sandy Arroyo Santa Maria, after very steep downgrade.
15.7 Turn left, out of arroyo (may be hidden by plants). Tracks ahead in arroyo end in 1/4 mile.
15.9 El Camino Real climbs to the left, up hillside. The mission trail stays out of the canyon, along the north ridge and returns to the arroyo at the east end of the canyon.
16.0 Roadbed washed out. Park and hike on to end of bulldozed grade to see petroglyphs, canyon view, Indian trail to canyon bottom.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rich t
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 07:38 PM

David it was a typo, We went in after the big hurricane in 2014 I believe and when the water went over the hood we backed out of the swamp and walked in the next day to the Mission, the wind blew so hard that night it knocked our tents over, that was the year that the Cherokee had just gone of the cliff, it was still in tact and was complete except some one had pulled the bucket seats out of it and they were at the top of the hill.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2019 at 12:16 AM

Rough trip! After the heavy 2010 rains (that took out so many bridges on Hwy. 1) we went in with the big Nomad group... water in the bog was up to the doors and beyond... 2-3 ft. deep.

Great great trip of amigos... even with Neal Johns losing the rear diff under that heavy camper. http://vivabaja.com/msm2010/

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2019 at 11:21 AM

Victor's JK Rubicon on 38's with a snorkle and 7" of lift wants to chase David Y's lifted 4 Runner through the formidable SWAMP in case he gets stuck. It's going to be a good show!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2019 at 06:08 PM
Memories... from almost 9 years ago...

Going to Mission Santa María, less than a mile from the mission is the BOG. These following photos are when we came back out. The video below the photos was going in...

The water is deep!

Steve brings the tow strap back for his 4Runner that needs a pull, as it doesn't have a rear locker or off-road tires. He did so well staying dry until the last palm tree 'pushed him' in!

Art's 4WD motorhome is a beast!

Videos... coming down the Widowmaker (from HBMurphy):

The BOG:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2019 at 09:51 PM

Thanks for the photos and video David. This run will be a total blast.:bounce:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 12:14 AM

You are welcome Ken!
I hope you guys have a BLAST!!!

FYI, I will be at Baja Cactus on Sunday night of President's Day weekend (will not have my truck). Should you be in El Rosario the same time. I learned that Isela Osuna's sister now operates the Sinahi Restaurant in town, so I hope to try it out. We had some good meals there in the past when Primo ran it. Isela is the mother of the little girl (Itzel) that had the open heart surgery Nomads did the fundraiser for some years ago: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=51629

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 12:38 AM

Sunday #1 - Pole Line Road
Sunday #2 - Back home

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 01:56 AM

Yes, back home from Mission Santa María so you will be passing through El Rosario... I just thought there was a slight chance of seeing each other. :biggrin:

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 03:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rich t  
Ken, You can drive up the window maker and park, if you want to see the Mission walk in from there, we did that a few years ago when there was to much water.

Walking a couple miles is good for health :light:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 11:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by rich t  

Walking a couple miles is good for health :light:

I have a route that I walk every day after work. 1 mile in about 20 minutes. The problem is the swamp which is full of water and infected mosquitoes. I will take wellness walks each evening on this trip to take advantage of the scenery and time off from work. Thanks for the advice!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 11:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Yes, back home from Mission Santa María so you will be passing through El Rosario... I just thought there was a slight chance of seeing each other. :biggrin:

I'm a little concerned about several things involving Hwy 1. They are;

Time - ~12 hours (in my Jeep) to San Ysidro POE. Canadian citizens will not be able to use ReadyLane. They'll be unhappy with the long wait times there.

Construction (Time) - Tie ups through Ensenada will slow our group down as well.

Weather (Time) - Traveling through Tecate could be hit or miss with winter storms that keep brewing over the Pacific.

Weather (Cold) - Leidys has been battling a lung infection the past month. She is coughing again, and cold weather is not our friend at the moment. Hwy 5 is a shorter distance and may allow us to return to the USA in a shorter time than San Ysidro POE or Tecate POE. Just a thought. If we dont run to Old Mill the night of the 23rd, it will be San Felipe instead.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 12:07 PM

Why Tijuana? Take Hwy. 3 from El Sauzal to Tecate... Same distance as to Tijuana but a much mellower border and often with little wait. Just the drive west to I-15 on Hwy. 94 from there.
The construction near Santo Tomas can't be any worse than the detour from Matomi to Puertecitos and all the bridge detours and the unfinished road to Chapala. Just food for thought, Ken.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 12:18 PM

yesterday there was probably 20 well equipped Jeeps amassed at Popotla and blvd2000 getting ready to head out......I thought for sure it was you guys! have fun!
 Pages:  1  ..  12    14    16  ..  18

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.