BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  13    15    17  18
Author: Subject: "THE IMPOSSIBLE" 4WD Run FEBRUARY 16-24, 2019 [update 2 Feb 2019] - FINAL ROUTE
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 12:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Why Tijuana? Take Hwy. 3 from El Sauzal to Tecate... Same distance as to Tijuana but a much mellower border and often with little wait. Just the drive west to I-15 on Hwy. 94 from there.
The construction near Santo Tomas can't be any worse than the detour from Matomi to Puertecitos and all the bridge detours and the unfinished road to Chapala. Just food for thought, Ken.

21 and 22 Febrero - Cataviña área
23 Febrero - San Quentin or San Felipe area
24 Febrero - USA by noon is the plan :light:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 01:23 PM

--LAST ROUTE UPDATE--

Day 1 - Mexicali Desert (staging near Pole Line Road) - Free camping
Day 2 - POLE LINE ROAD [MODERATE] - Free camping
Day 3 - POLE LINE ROAD [MODERATE] - Motel - $$
Day 4 - BEACH DAY - SAN FELIPE - Motel - $$
Day 5 - MATOMI WASH [DIFFICULT] - Beach campo camping - $
Day 6 - PIONEER TRAIL [DIFFICULT] - Motel - $
Day 7 - MISSION IMPOSSIBLE [DIFFICULT] - Motel - $
Day 8 - DRIVING DAY [SAN QUENTIN OR SAN FELIPE] coin toss :lol: - Motel or Free camping
Day 9 - DRIVING DAY USA POE based on coin toss :lol: - Sleep in own bed (Priceless)

Here is the last update for our route. Several drivers are coming in from the USA. One driver is coming from CANADA. Several will be coming from SAN FELIPE, a few from Ensenada and Tijuana making this an International trail event.

Magazine personnel will NOT be along for this run due to their participation in the KING OF THE HAMMERS event preceeding "THE IMPOSSIBLE".

Rich T has a welder on his new LJ:!:
Rich T and Paul W have prerun POLE LINE ROAD and MATOMI WASH :light:
Perry M has prerun POLE LINE ROAD :light:
Rich T has previously run THE PIONEER TRAIL :light:
MISSION IMPOSSIBLE has not been prerun and remains a MYSTERY :!:

LET'S TACKLE THE TRAILS AND SHRED SOME TIRES!! :lol:

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 02:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by rich t  
Ken, You can drive up the window maker and park, if you want to see the Mission walk in from there, we did that a few years ago when there was to much water.

Walking a couple miles is good for health :light:

I have a route that I walk every day after work. 1 mile in about 20 minutes. The problem is the swamp which is full of water and infected mosquitoes.

It is quite cold in Catavina area right now. You won’t find mosquitoes there in winter.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 02:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rich t  
Ken, You can drive up the window maker and park, if you want to see the Mission walk in from there, we did that a few years ago when there was to much water.

Walking a couple miles is good for health :light:

I have a route that I walk every day after work. 1 mile in about 20 minutes. The problem is the swamp which is full of water and infected mosquitoes.

It is quite cold in Catavina area right now. You won’t find mosquitoes there in winter.

Mosquitos survive cold winters typically in sewers. I read about it this week.:!:

To be a good trail leader, you have to be aware of possible hazards anywhere and everywhere.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 03:06 PM

If it's the bog you are talking about, it's closer to Gonzaga Bay than Cataviña and much lower in elevation, too. There were no mosquitos there in 2010 when many of us were in that water.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 11:51 PM

If it's the bog you are talking about, it's closer to Gonzaga Bay than Cataviña and much lower in elevation, too. There were no mosquitos there in 2010 when many of us were in that water.

9 years ago, no vectors in a mud big/swamp? Nothing there now? I wouldn't be so sure, David K.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 11:54 PM

Vectors?
As I said, there were no mosquitos for us in there. It was Memorial weekend, so a lot warmer.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2019 at 12:22 AM

9 years ago, no vectors in a mud big/swamp? Nothing there now? I wouldn't be so sure, David K.

There are no mosquitoes in February in the cold desert of central baja.
If you are eliminating sites to avoid imaginary mosquitoes, then you are bat chit crazy!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2019 at 06:52 AM

If you are eliminating sites to avoid imaginary mosquitoes, then you are bat chit crazy!

Not eliminating - just paying very close attention. The last time I visited the Widowmaker hill, a group of killer bees were swarming nearby. I prefer staying inside of my Jeep for reasons like this.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2019 at 12:43 PM

Not eliminating - just paying very close attention. The last time I visited the Widowmaker hill, a group of killer bees were swarming nearby. I prefer staying inside of my Jeep for reasons like this.

You can find Africanized Bees anywhere in baja,... or so cal, or Arizona, or,.... etc.
don’t be a sissy because you saw some bees at widow maker (I am surprised the name “widow maker” did not scare you off :lol: )

Woke!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2019 at 01:25 PM

Yep.. I was attacked by aggressive bees near Coco's Corner when I had to fix a flat. On Shell Island too, a couple times... YIKES!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2019 at 01:47 PM

A Yellow jacket stung my forehead in August. My face still itches and when I scratch, my forehead and both eyelids swell up.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2019 at 02:07 PM

Get a bottle of Australian 100% pure tea tree oil, keep it in your Jeep. Great for all kinds of skin injuries! 10 million Australian aborigines can't be wrong! G'day! Available at Sprouts and most Natural Food type stores. My kids got bee stings a bunch and the tea tree oil neutralizes the poison. Use it for cuts, burns, canker soars, bites...

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2019 at 07:16 PM

Get a bottle of Australian 100% pure tea tree oil, keep it in your Jeep. Great for all kinds of skin injuries! 10 million Australian aborigines can't be wrong! G'day! Available at Sprouts and most Natural Food type stores. My kids got bee stings a bunch and the tea tree oil neutralizes the poison. Use it for cuts, burns, canker soars, bites...

Or a bottle of Viva Villa for an aromatic face splash.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2019 at 08:27 PM
No thank you CODE-off road!

It looks like the Baja Pole Line group and CODE OFF ROAD are SHARING the same route for days #1 and #2 of my IMPOSSIBLE 4WD event! Furious is not the word!! How dare they!!!:mad:

Link: https://www.lavozdelafrontera.com.mx/deportes/anuncia-code-c...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 01:01 AM

It looks like the Baja Pole Line group and CODE OFF ROAD are SHARING the same route for days #1 and #2 of my IMPOSSIBLE 4WD event! Furious is not the word!! How dare they!!!:mad:

Link: https://www.lavozdelafrontera.com.mx/deportes/anuncia-code-c...

How about a link to a map for the race?
If they are going as far as Cohabuzo Jcn (which you can get to from Hwy. 5 at the sand dunes) or beyond then forget Laguna Salada south and go in from La Ventana to the mesa with all the poles or as far as the top of Basketball Hill. Camp in the same place we did in 2015 and come back out at La Ventana. That will be a blast and not worry about going through gates or private property.

Here you go Ken, logged when you led the trip in 2015, but here in the reverse direction as far as Basketball Hill...

Road Log HWY. 5 west to and on the Pole Line Road

(GPS MAP DATUM: WGS84)

Total Miles/ Partial Miles:

0.0/ 0.0 HWY. 5, KM. 106/107 (La Ventana + 1 km.). 31°43.900', -115°03.900'

6.0/ 6.0 Junction, turn right (follow power line west).

8.1/ 2.1 Race Course crosses road, continue straight.

12.5/ 4.4 Well Pump, turn left follow poles (south). Grading and power poles end at second well (0.6 mi. south). Sandy road continues up Arroyo Grande (deflating tires recommended).

17.8/ 5.3 Turn right (west). The road ahead goes 22 miles to Rancho Arroyo Grande, deep sand driving. A gate may prevent passage through to HWY. 3 from the ranch. Road log turns right here onto Pole Line Road. 31°37.550', -115°15.700', elev. 800'. The east side of Arroyo Grande, where the Pole Line Road continues on towards San Felipe is not visible from here.

First 1942 telephone pole (cut) passed around Mile 21, on the left.

21.6/ 3.8 Detour off the original road to right (ahead is washed out). Drop steeply into wash and go left then rejoin old road and climb out other side of wash.

22.4/ 0.5 T Junction. Remains of WWII construction camp. Ahead (NW) was once a road to Ejido Saldaña, now washed out. Turn left (south) for Pole Line Road (small landing strip possible here). 31°39.055', -115°18.190'.

26.4/ 4.0 Briefly drop into and then back out of Arroyo Jaquegel, keeping to the left side. Road repair at bottom of drop was performed in 2015.

26.9/ 0.5 Start of steep grade up to a mesa. Many poles along mesa top are off to the right of the road at some distance.

28.7/ 1.8 Top of a long grade down, named 'Bad Hill'.

29.3/ 0.6 Pass close to one full-length pole, a second is in the distance.

30.2/ 0.9 Reach wide Arroyo Jaquegel, turn left up arroyo. Rocky going for nearly 1 mile. 31°35.730'/- 115°23.120'

31.1/ 0.9 Road leaves Arroyo Jaquegel to left (south). Further up the arroyo 500 feet is wrecked Suzuki Samurai. Road now crosses over hills and washes and drops back into Arroyo Jaquegel a final time.

34.1/ 3.0 Road leaves Arroyo Jaquegel with a cobblestone paved ramp at bottom of grade. Palms are up Arroyo Jaquegel to the left and can be seen from a ledge above.

35.5/ 1.4 Top of 'Basketball Hill'. A steep grade down so named by Neal Johns for the rocks in the road.

Cut phone poles seen going down. A wrecked truck is also halfway down.

[Edited on 2-7-2019 by David K]

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 08:06 AM

Report from 2/6 run going south from Cahobuzo and on to Hwy5 near La Ventana,
"BB hill" was easy, no rocks in our path.
"bad hill" going down was easy the grade has much silt/sand filling the voids. Washout at the top was avoidable.
Hardest section was about the same as all runs before in Enmedio. Had to drive slightly different than my GPS track in the wash.

About the track from Mano Jct to near White tank:
Nice to drive in the sand wash.
Multiple marginal places to get from the sand wash to the so called pipeline road. I had routfinding issues due to my skill in following my GPS track. Several places require climbing up and down gullies and going thru bushes. Going up the gully banks required a bit of momentum. The "road" heading south toward the Pole Line track has several places with issues due to washout and steep places crossing gullies.
The Pole line road is the same as before, but tracks from those who went before were so faint I had to rely on the gps to find my way.
Those drivers that follow us in the future surely will improve on my path from the sand wash to the pipeline road. The reason for not trying to find a better way is limited by our fuel capacity. It's a long way from the PMEX.
So if I get my broke Jeep repaired in time I will get all thru the above described places, otherwise I will give Rich T. the proper GPS track.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 10:59 AM

Paul, if at some time in the future you could, a map of the alternate way in from below Cohabuzo/Mano would be nice...

I image this is the Neal Johns alternate "Down Easy" road that reaches the Pole Line Road at or near the White Tank?

On the map below, I copied by hand from Neal's Almanac, the north end comes off the road that ends at Campo La Victoria...

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 11:03 AM

Bzy now. Map is forthcoming.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 01:22 PM

FYI: The CODE race is to the west of the Guadalupe Rd extending maybe 10-12 miles south of Hwy 2. I'll post a map soon.

http://www.codeoffroad.com.mx/mrgp2019/CODE_MRGP_2019.pdf

[Edited on 2-7-2019 by TMW]
 Pages:  1  ..  13    15    17  18

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.