BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  18
Author: Subject: "THE IMPOSSIBLE" 4WD Run FEBRUARY 16-24, 2019 [update 2 Feb 2019] - FINAL ROUTE
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-20-2018 at 08:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
I have some experience with radios.

The comment to convert the off roaders to 2meter radios still has many pitfalls. Asking the CB guys to convert to 2meter is a questionable concept.

The biggest issue is what band do or should you use. The answer is the HAM 2 meter band of the VHF network requires a license. However, all the radios I know about can be modified to include transmit and receive over the two family radio bands and can include the NOAA band. So what I do for VHF in the USA I turn down my power and use the family band which is open with no license. But, the CB is what everybody uses in the USA.

For example, if you go to Moab it is all CB with a few pairs using VHF on their private frequencies. In Baja radio rules are never enforced so the use of very high power is common, and all bands including the marine, commercial, Ham, and family bands are in common use.

Most of the race teams that have not converted to Sat-Radio are using 110watt VHF units.

I have been using both CB and 2meter for almost 20 years and I have experienced many of the issues.

In Baja we use the VHF commercial band which as you know it is the same 2meter band. Both systems require proper installation and a good antenna. A feature that gets lost by a lot of the users. The CB system is limited to 5 watts and the result is poor communication except for use the peer to peer use for a trail ride where line of sight is the usual situation.

BTW my fine tuned CB works great for significant distances and my unit is probably better than 80% of my buddies.

The VHF system sure works better for long distances provided you have the necessary power. Of course, the hand held (HH) 2meter unit have 5 watts, and the result is no better than the CB. This is a proven fact. And yes, I have several HH VHF radios with all the bands open, I use it with a mag mount and for sure it is comparable with my solidly installed CB on my Jeep. Expect to pay for a great VHF radio system for your rig. Around $200-250 should be the goal for a top of the line DIY install and tuning including parts.

What we are all using in Baja are Ham and commercial 2 meter units with 25 to 75 watts (50 watt seems to be the most common). The success of the 2meter unit is the proper antenna setup with an NMO mount and a proper SWR tuned whip. The mag mounts are a serious compromise. Read this link for how/where to mount an antenna on a Jeep: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-cb-ham-radios-128/here-wh...

On the Pole line run I attended I monitored the chat on the CB and noticed the poor quality, probably because of poor installation? Antenna tuning and location on the various rigs is most suspect.

As far as communicating in a deep canyon neither CB or a 75 watt VHF unit will perform similarly, but the high power being better. All radio signals are mostly line of sight.

Bottom line is no, I do not have a HAM license and will not be getting one. My CB work great in the USA and in Baja I exclusively use my Ham setup.
Regards.

Thany you for this great information, Paul. I added some spacing to make it easier on my eyes to read.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 7-20-2018 at 01:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
I uploaded the tentative itinerary to my Google Docs page. PM me with your email address and I will share it with you.

'The Impossible' balances relaxation with challenging 4WD trails. Jeeps will do well on this run - pickup trucks might have a small amount of difficulty. The trails include;

Pole Line Road
Matomi Canyon
Mission Impossible

Our group will only spend 2 nights in hotels - San Felipe and El Rosario

The wives wanted some time at the beach, so there will be a non-driving day in Gonzaga Bay where everyone can go on a boat tour of the bay, paddle board, kayak, go walking or running, fishing, or just eating tacos at Alfonsina's.

Because of climatic conditions, we will avoid camping in canyons (for obvious reasons). We will keep it on the cheap which everyone will appreciate, but some luxuries will include eating at Mama Espinoza Restaurante, the Malecon in San Felipe and cold showers while soaking in the sun.

I will look into making t-shirts, hoodies and stickers for this event. It should be fun!!

[Edited on 7-18-2018 by Ken Cooke]

Hey Ken. I don't seem to be able to open the email in google docs. Can you copy and paste it here or to my email please. Thanks
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 7-20-2018 at 01:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
February is very very cold at night but very pleasant by day. Rain on the gulf side is not likely, as it is desert thanks to the sierra.

Here was a really fun Nomad President's Day weekend group Matomi Reunion camp we had at Nuevo Mazatlan with a visit to Shell Island on Saturday and drive to Matomi Canyon on Sunday. It was similar to what we did on Prez Day Weekend in 2001, based from El Camote's place in El Dorado Ranch.

We went to Valle Chico via the Azufre Pass trail, down to the Matomi waterfalls, and then out via Arroyo Matomi to Hwy. 5 and back to Nuevo Mazatlan....
http://vivabaja.com/204

That is a great link David. Thanks. A lot of really cool pictures.

11-6.jpg - 22kB
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-20-2018 at 02:46 PM

Thanks, Ed, that was a fun trip... my daughter liked going to. Not long after, Georock inviter her to spend a week in Mammoth with her family. It was great fun for her in the snow.

Georock (Suzanne) was a regular here on Nomad, and now, I see her just on Facebook posts.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 7-20-2018 at 02:57 PM

I have some experience with radios.
The comment to convert the off roaders to 2meter radios still has many pitfalls. Asking the CB guys to convert to 2meter is a questionable concept.
The biggest issue is what band do or should you use. The answer is the HAM 2 meter band of the VHF network requires a license. However, all the radios I know about can be modified to include transmit and receive over the two family radio bands and can include the NOAA band. So what I do for VHF in the USA I turn down my power and use the family band which is open with no license. But, the CB is what everybody uses in the USA. For example, if you go to Moab it is all CB with a few pairs using VHF on their private frequencies. In Baja radio rules are never enforced so the use of very high power is common, and all bands including the marine, commercial, Ham, and family bands are in common use. Most of the race teams that have not converted to Sat-Radio are using 110watt VHF units.
I have been using both CB and 2meter for almost 20 years and I have experienced many of the issues.
In Baja we use the VHF commercial band which as you know it is the same 2meter band. Both systems require proper installation and a good antenna. A feature that gets lost by a lot of the users. The CB system is limited to 5 watts and the result is poor communication except for use the peer to peer use for a trail ride where line of sight is the usual situation.
BTW my fine tuned CB works great for significant distances and my unit is probably better than 80% of my buddies.
The VHF system sure works better for long distances provided you have the necessary power. Of course, the hand held (HH) 2meter unit have 5 watts, and the result is no better than the CB. This is a proven fact. And yes, I have several HH VHF radios with all the bands open, I use it with a mag mount and for sure it is comparable with my solidly installed CB on my Jeep. Expect to pay for a great VHF radio system for your rig. Around $200-250 should be the goal for a top of the line DIY install and tuning including parts.
What we are all using in Baja are Ham and commercial 2 meter units with 25 to 75 watts (50 watt seems to be the most common). The success of the 2meter unit is the proper antenna setup with an NMO mount and a proper SWR tuned whip. The mag mounts are a serious compromise. Read this link for how/where to mount an antenna on a Jeep: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-cb-ham-radios-128/here-wh... On the Pole line run I attended I monitored the chat on the CB and noticed the poor quality, probably because of poor installation? Antenna tuning and location on the various rigs is most suspect.
As far as communicating in a deep canyon neither CB or a 75 watt VHF unit will perform similarly, but the high power being better. All radio signals are mostly line of sight.
Bottom line is no, I do not have a HAM license and will not be getting one. My CB work great in the USA and in Baja I exclusively use my Ham setup.
Regards.

Thanks for the insight on my radio dilemma, Paul. :yes:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2018 at 04:36 PM
Run Itinerary for Just Runs 4WD Club

Run Announcement: El Imposible/The Impossible Baja 4WD run 2/16/19-2/24/19

Baja Run: Pole Line Road (Mexicali desert - 3 Days), Matomi Wash (San Felipe desert - 1 Day), Mission Santa Maria “Mission Impossible” (Catavina desert - 2 Days).

Run Leader: Ken Cooke thedesertoutlaw@yahoo.com 951.255.1589

Specific Meeting location: 400 Imperial Blvd (CA-Route 111), Calexico, CA, 92231
Date of run: Saturday, February 16th, 2019 to Sunday, February 24th, 2019.
Meeting Time: 10 AM

Meeting Place: Pep Boys parking lot

Departure Time: 10:30 AM

Difficulty Rating 3-

Special equipment: auxilary fuel cans (gerry cans) for Days 1-3 (El Progreso/Hwy 2 to San Felipe). Yank strap in case of “Mission Impossible” swamp stuck. Provisions for up to 3 nights along Pole Line Road. Passport/documentation for reentry into the United States after completion of run. Mexican auto insurance for legal travel across Mexican roads and highways.

Run Type: Bob tail camping run (incl. 2 nights in motel San Felipe and El Rosario)

Ham per 2019 Just Runs regulations

Short wheelbase preferable, but full-size rigs have been documented completing each of the 3 challenging trails.

RSVP Required. RSVP via email at thedesertoutlaw@yahoo.com

Group limit: There is a soft limit of 15 vehicles. Generally, before a run of this type participants drop out at a rate of approximately 50% prior to the run. This run will take place rain or shine.

Inspections: Please be prepared to show auto insurance for Mexico, auxilary cans must be empty as importing fuel into Mexico is unlawful, documentation to return to United States for drivers and passengers.

Day 1 - The group will meeting at Pep Boy’s Parking Lot for drivers meeting, radio test. Additional drivers will meet group at Tacos El Morlan #2 after picking up required travel permits which cost about $20/per person. Travel to Cohabuzo Junction area south of Laguna Salada where we will camp out and stage for Day #2. Camp setup at 4 PM.

Day 2 - Cohabuzo Junction area to the historic Baja Pole Line Road - hightlights include travel across sections of the 1942 cobblestone route that was built by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to establish a telegraph line from Ensenada to San Felipe during World War 2. Camp setup at 4 PM in Canyon Jaquegel just 30 minutes past Basketball Hill.

Day 3 - Canyon Jaquegel to Hwy 5. Our group will travel along the massive Jaquegel (yaa-kay-h’el) following the telegraph route straight out to Hwy 5 near the Laguna Salada. We will drive south about 1 hour to San Felipe where we will find our motel for the night with secure parking and after getting a hot shower, have dinner at George’s Cafe.

Day 4 - San Felipe. After checking out of our motel, we will gas up, have lunch on the malecon before sightseeing in town, then grocery shopping. At 2 PM we will travel south of town near Zoo Road where we will set up camp in the Baja backcountry, staging for the next day near the rocky Matomi Canyon.

Day 5 - We will run the rocky Matomi Wash where Baja 250 racers provide a spectacle year after year. Afterward, we will pick up Hwy 5 near Puertecitos (puer-tay-cee-tos), driving south to Gonzaga Bay. We will find camp along the beach and set up our tents, get showers at Campo Grande and possibly find gasoline - our last possible chance at gas before Catavina.

Day 6 - Gonzaga Bay - Planned downtime with Alfonsina’s providing activities ranging from paddleboarding, kayaking and tours of the bay (for additional charge). Dinner will either be at Alfonsina’s or in camp with your fishing pole and a campfire.

Day 7 - Gonzaga Bay to Catavina/Rancho Santa Ines/Mission Santa Maria - We will rise early and hit the dirt road leading south of town to the legendary Coco’s Corner and Hwy 1. At Laguna Chapala, we will finally point our 4WDs north as we stop for a hot meal in Catavina before tackling the unforgiving “Mission Impossible” trail. The trail starts off innocuously climbing a ridge above Santa Ines before dropping into a valley dotted with boulders and endemic Baja cacti. Then, a deep descent from another mountain ridge places you on the route to Mission Santa Maria - “Mission Impossible”. A row of thick, green foliage obscures the trail where stagnant water pools, contributing to a slick and possibly series of deep water crossings that will test your engine’s intake position as well as tire tread capabilities. One traction adding device such as a limited slip differential is absolutely necessary, while those with locking differentials will opt for their use as tires fight through the slick stuff without having to jump into it to set up an extrication. Our group will set up camp near the Mission - hopefully before dusk.

Day 8 - Mission Santa Maria to El Rosario. From the Mission to Hwy 1, on average it takes 4 hours. We will stop in Catavina for a hot meal (lunch) before driving 80 miles to El Rosario. Our group will check into our hotel rooms before having dinner at the well-known Mama Espinosa’s Restaurant. Gasoline is available in El Rosario. El Rosario to Ensenada is 161 miles. Ensenada to Tecate

Day 9 - El Rosario to Tecate, California (and beyond). Driver’s breakfast will be at 7 a.m. with our group departing El Rosario at 9 am. Travel time will be approximately 6 hours to the US border. We will stop in Ensenada for lunch and hopefully cross the border before dusk. Tacos in Descanso, California will carry us through to I-8 and our subsequent destinations.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2018 at 04:53 PM
Just Runs difficulty rating link

http://www.justruns.com/files/dif.htm

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2018 at 05:06 PM

Sounds like a good plan Ken.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2018 at 05:24 PM

Invites sent to Facebook group (Baja Pole Line Group), Wrangler Forum, Just Runs 4WD Club. Lots of interest out there for a run of this level. As noted in the trail itinerary, this run will take place rain or shine. If Hwy 1 is damaged, we will return via Hwy 5 and on towards Calexico. Options exist. Staying home is not an option.:cool:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2018 at 11:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Some curiosity questions:

When did it become a telegraph line?

Where did you learn the Army Corp of Engineers built it?

Travel Permits? (Tourist Cards) are FREE for 7 days or less, but less hassle would be to get the 6 month one and not have to turn it back in at the border.

No Pioneer Mine Trail run south from Molino de Lacy/Punta Final?

Why would a damaged Hwy. 1 force YOU guys to use Hwy. 5?

I hope you have fun and don't invite any Fords along (Ken get's it)!

My mistake - telephone line not telegraph.

I believe we spoke in depth about the origins of the road construction in 2015 while stopped for lunch just past the cobblestone road along Canon Enmedio. I can research it further, but I have some maintenance work to do to the Jeep (long arm substructure).

No Pioneer Road (this time). I need time to prerun and evaluate the run. I hope to visit Matomi before El Imposible. Pioneer Road would be much further and take more time, etc. Because I am not charging money for these runs, I must cover expenses which can get expensive.

Because of climatic models showing an El Nino forming this winter, rain and the jet stream bringing it to our area should be a concern. Washed out bridges and streams turning into rivers should be expected during the planning stages of this trip. New stories on Google News appear almost daily about the 2018 El Nino. Check it out.

A 6 month travel permit might be a better option for us as our group will be spending 8 days traveling and not just 7. Plus, we will have very little time that last Sunday to stop and turn in a travel permit before continuing on to our border crossing. No Way! That would be like putting street tires on a Rubicon!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2018 at 11:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Sounds like a good plan Ken.

Thanks TW! One concern I have is that if we don't respond to social media inquiries during this event, will someone send out a warning that we all disappeared? I hope for us to make human contact every two to three days at the most. InReach and SPOT are both viable options so that 'El Imposible' does not get more (negative) exposure than positive exposure. Regardless, I want everyone (including me) the opportunity to eat a hot meal every 2 days, if possible.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 7-31-2018 at 11:52 AM

Dang Ken I need hot meals twice a day.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2018 at 01:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  

Meal preparation takes time. I can make a hot breakfast and a hot dinner, but lunch everyday will be on the go. I am thinking that heating my vegan Morning Star burgers with 10g of Protein each (inside aluminum foil) on the Jeep manifold will be the way to go. That, almonds/peanuts, fruit and black beans will give me the carbs and protein to keep me going between hot meals.

The Dometic Fridge will keep the beans from spoiling as well as the Morning Star burger patties frozen until needed. Fruit only lasts 1 week, unfortunately. So, Leidys and I will be running on fumes by the time we reach El Rosario where we can stock up on more fruit and protein sources while enjoying a warm meal on the road.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2018 at 02:32 PM
'Fear of going'

Typically, guys that ask these questions are the ones that drop out weeks to days before the trip. I told this fellow that there are plenty of GREAT places in the USA that he can 4 wheel without feeling unsafe. He can also seek help in case of an emergency - most likely with cell phone coverage. :barf:

My reservation for a trip like this is that it is in Mexico. I know many 4 wheelers go there regularly. Do you take any precautions to avoid the bad guys? Am I being overly cautious bc of what I have seen in the press? Do all the hotels have secured parking, you mentioned it for one of them? With a soft top vehicle and then for a trip like this I would need my exterior rack with supplies, it's easy pickings to steal stuff.

- Concerned 4 Wheeler"

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2018 at 02:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  

Larry I know for a fact you drink cold coffee and eat kangaroo jerky everyday you are on the trail. The only thing hot is when you put the jerky on the engine manifold. Baja is calling.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2018 at 03:33 PM

Typically, guys that ask these questions are the ones that drop out weeks to days before the trip. I told this fellow that there are plenty of GREAT places in the USA that he can 4 wheel without feeling unsafe. He can also seek help in case of an emergency - most likely with cell phone coverage. :barf:

My reservation for a trip like this is that it is in Mexico. I know many 4 wheelers go there regularly. Do you take any precautions to avoid the bad guys? Am I being overly cautious bc of what I have seen in the press? Do all the hotels have secured parking, you mentioned it for one of them? With a soft top vehicle and then for a trip like this I would need my exterior rack with supplies, it's easy pickings to steal stuff.

- Concerned 4 Wheeler"

Ken did you throw an invite out to Aldo? he's got both wife and baby on the horizon, he just may be interested:light:
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2018 at 04:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

- Concerned 4 Wheeler"

Ken did you throw an invite out to Aldo? he's got both wife and baby on the horizon, he just may be interested:light:

I haven't heard that name. :?:

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2018 at 05:34 PM

- Concerned 4 Wheeler"

Aldo Santini!
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2018 at 07:42 PM

Aldo Santini!

I once traded Jeep parts to Aldo Santini for an original Tomayo painting. Very beautiful painting, btw.

Akula
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2018 at 10:09 PM

Heavy diff covers are not for desert like Matomi. What we use is a skid so the thing will slide over the rock. A skid that protects the pinion and u-joint is just as important.

[Edited on 7-18-2018 by PaulW]

I've already have the AEV diff skid installed as well as an ARB engine/trans skid. I'm getting the diff covers to keep anything from punching a hole in the diffs.
https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/jk-slider-differenti...
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  18

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.