BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  18
Author: Subject: "THE IMPOSSIBLE" 4WD Run FEBRUARY 16-24, 2019 [update 2 Feb 2019] - FINAL ROUTE
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 7-31-2018 at 11:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Akula  
Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Heavy diff covers are not for desert like Matomi. What we use is a skid so the thing will slide over the rock. A skid that protects the pinion and u-joint is just as important.

[Edited on 7-18-2018 by PaulW]

I've already have the AEV diff skid installed as well as an ARB engine/trans skid. I'm getting the diff covers to keep anything from punching a hole in the diffs.
https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/jk-slider-differenti...

I need to do the same

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2018 at 08:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Dang Ken I need hot meals twice a day.

Does Mi Ranchita do take-out? LOL
Everyone should try this great restaurant in San Vicente!!
It is north of the bridge, north of town, alongside the road west to the mission, km. 88.5.

Depending on our time out of El Rosario, that might work into the itinerary. Drivers breakfast at 7 am-8 am. San Vicente B4 noon.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-1-2018 at 08:44 PM

I eat there most nights great food nice people.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2018 at 03:04 PM

I eat there most nights great food nice people.

I don't like to be the bad guy. That Sunday, we will be pressed to make it across the border before nightfall. If we have a large group, it will take 1 hour minimum for each restaurant stop. If possible, call out on your 2 meter radio, and we'll stop for a meal and a quick goodbye.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2018 at 08:34 PM

Yes the bigger the group the more time do I know that. Me myself try to not drive Baja at night. Black cows rocks stalled cars no lights all the rest only one head light.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 07:13 AM

Yes the bigger the group the more time do I know that.

It's usually good idea to add at least 15 minutes delay for every member beyond one or two in a group. Just my experience.

Hopefully your group has it's chit together more than most folks I've tried to travel with in the past. I have a big problem with people who aren't ready to go at planned times, so I just avoid group travel today.

John

[Edited on 8-4-2018 by John Harper]
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 07:45 AM

The first and only run I did on Kens pole line run 2015. Most everybody was well set up and prepared. Funny part the 3 trucks that broke down all drivers where residents of Baja. If I remember The Blazer dropped the mufflers and pipes. The Ranger I cant remember but both managed to get out to highway and get home. My friend Wil in his Hot rod Bronco with BM blower. Next to last day the one China part that is name brand. No longer made in USA broke no spark dead in the water. We had to tow it out over 50 miles. In the worst places you could think of. All the guys on the trip real fine people had a ball. Ken works very hard at setting up these runs and does a great job. When I have big group of guys on dirt bikes like 10 guys. I know we are in trouble first mile of 4 day ride. One has already got lost JAAAAA.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 08:26 AM

If I recall, the Ford Ranger (belonging to Nomad MICK) had transmission oil issues and elected to back out before getting too far down the World War II trail if things got worse. The Blazer was with MICK. To have one secure, reliable vehicle, to get back to civilization, John M in a Toyota Tacoma Off Road TRD volunteered. It was a bummer that John wasn't with us for the rest of the run. He is a hoot and a good story man having authored several Mojave Desert books.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 06:57 PM
El Imposible official RSVP instructions

Hi everyone interested in the official 'El Imposible' 4WD run. I am going to request mailing addresses from all interested parties and will provide my mailing address and email address. This will allow me to set up your hotel reservations IN YOUR NAME ONLY. If you have to cancel to get your money back, I will provide you with the phone number to call.

Why am I doing this?

1. To provide clarity as to know who is going.
2. To reserve our hotel rooms to keep our group together.
3. To create a closed line of communication with those who are going and to keep our run totally private.

When do I need hotel reservation money?

I will request it beginning SEPTEMBER 1, 2018 until a future, unspecified date.

Is there a fee that I will need to pay?

No - I am not taking personal funds, just reserving your room without having to impact my personal finances.

What if I cannot attend your run due to prior commitments?

You will need to speak with the motels that I reserve your room, and refer to their cancellation policy. More on this later as I review vacancies and locations. This is to keep our motels exclusive and the parking lot to ourselves.

How much money will these hotels cost? Is there a receipt for the transaction?

Under $200 - I will provide you with information related to your room and some form of receipt to provide full transparency.

What if all of our 4WDs break down and we have to cancel our hotel?

Then, 'El Imposible' lives up to its' name and a legend is born!

See you at 'El Imposible' in 6 months! I will attempt to contact everyone who has expressed interest by sending me a U2U, a message on Facebook/Messenger or texted me on my cell phone.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 08:46 AM

Good job Ken! The 'hotels' will probably be half that cost, but better to over budget and have more fun money leftover.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 05:52 PM
Pole Line Road plans

Plan A - enter Pole Line Road via the traditional Pole Line Road entrance (bypass). Not legitimate:!:

Plan B - enter via private rancho (Valle Trinidad). Totally legitimate:!:

Plan C - enter via Arroyo Grande at La Ventana. Also legitimate, but the hillclimb on the Bad Hill a little extreme.:!:

Plan D- Little Summit HARDCORE ROCK Jeep trail.

These are just a few options that I am looking at. The Pole Line Group is diligently researching and speaking with land owners in an effort to ensure legal passage through lands surrounding the Pole Line Road.

It was explained to me that Mexican Constitutional law grants legal passage through overland areas so that it's citizens can travel where they like. However, land owners wanting to guard their cattle willingly block routes with locked gates in an effort to thwart cattle rustlers and irresponsible travelers who leave gates open after they pass through these entrances and exits.

One item that was brought up - 'El Imposible' participants MAY need to wear a uniform in order that property owners will see that our group is an organized one and not an assortment of vandals out to wreck and litter ranches on our days off from work.

Purchase of 'El Imposible' sweaters or t-shirts may be mandatory thanks to this evolving reality. :!:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 07:58 PM

Ken tell me more about Plan B above. The road on the private rancho at Valle Trinidad.

Also Plan D the Little Summit Jeep trail. Is this the same as the lower Summit known as Summit #2.

A couple of years ago we started on the PLR and where it splits to go east to the white water tank we went south looking for the bottom of Summit #3 where an old ranch house was suppose to be. Didn't get to it so we went over the Race Summit to the junction coming in from Hwy 3 at KM108. We went east by the Jamau Outpost hotel and campground. Maybe a mile or so past it we came to a locked steel gate. It blocked access to both Summit #3 and #2. #2 can be accessed just after you get on the PLR within maybe 1/4 mile from the arroyo where the locked gate is blocking the PLR, but the road up is very rough with rocks.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 09:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Ken tell me more about Plan B above. The road on the private rancho at Valle Trinidad.

Also Plan D the Little Summit Jeep trail. Is this the same as the lower Summit known as Summit #2.

Plan B involves travel across Hwy 5 to Hwy 3 to the Valle Trinidad area. My 4WD club contact in Mexicali knows the ranchero who lives there. One year ago, no locked gates existed. The problem in Baja is so many local 4 wheelers are completely damaging the image of responsible 4 wheel drive owners like myself. They do more damsge to our activities than we can work to improve the tarnish that they create. Hence, gates are being built faster than I can organize runs to visit places being closed to the public.

Plan D involves a trail outside of San Felipe. Paul Wilson and Rich T know more about it. I haven't traveled this mini summit,but if I can't run the Pole Line Road, it will definitely increase the extreme nature of this series of runs. We could probably motel an additional night which would allow us to carry less gear on this rock house, although, some drivers won't participate.

I will have to wait on more Intel so I can't provide more info until the weather improves. I won't know anything until late October or November.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 10:40 PM

I would think coming to the Pole Line Road at the white tank, from the north, would be the obvious winner? Neal Johns had done that road and if no gates in the way, a clear shot. All the good cobblestone grades and the tough Basketball Hill is east of the white tank, so nothing fun is missed.

Another option is to go from La Ventana west onto the Pole Line Road and do as much of the bad stuff as you want then turn around and go back to Arroyo Grande then onto the SCORE road to El Chinero, which was also the Pole Line Road route to San Felipe.

Just brain storming with you...

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 06:38 AM

My plan is what David just posted. Except we will start from Chinero instead of Ventana to cut the mileage from San Felipe.
Better to be conservative and avoid the northern approach.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 07:03 AM

I was told that the route to the White Tank is presently overgrown with vegitation. That may become the new route bypassing the armed Rancheros and their network of gates.

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 07:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
I was told that the route to the White Tank is presently overgrown with vegitation. That may become the new route bypassing the armed Rancheros and their network of gates.

Sounds like you might have to prerun some of it. Lol. Always looking for an excuse to get down there.
rich t
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 10:01 AM

Ken, If you decide to run the Mini Summit will be glad to help you out, also if you want to do the Mine trail it could be a good option on the extra day in Gonzaga, there is another route that brings you out about 7 miles north of Cocos, the whole trip is only about 4 hours.
Nextlevelbaja

Mood: Exited

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 02:50 PM
Looks fun

This trip sounds really fun! Id like to make it out this year. In regards to prerunning or testing out difficult trails, I'm always willing to help and have a more than capable Jeep to help clear the trail.

PaulW nice work on getting through that rock garden!

Love Baja as much as me? Want to see more photos of Baja? Check out my Next level baja Instagram page
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 02:58 PM

Thanks. My Jeep is back to it good design with up grades. It should be better now. It had lots of issues from the hard trails in Baja. I even had to do one trip with no front driveshaft, but got it repaired in San Felipe in a reasonable time.
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  18

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.