Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Kaiparowits Plateau and Collet Top Arch Ruins
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 11:43 AM
Kaiparowits Plateau and Collet Top Arch Ruins

The Quest for Collet Top Arch Ruins

Researching the Kaiparowits Plateau for places to explore I came across the Collet Top Arch ruins. Now this looks interesting and I started researching it further. For once the internet had not yet cast it's web to the exact location of this interesting looking spot.

The best I could come up with was an area of about 20 acres in size that it was located in and my first search for it was hampered by impassable roads that lead to long delays in arriving in the area late in the day with my sister and brother-in-law.

We searched for a few hours in the late afternoon but facing the long and slow drive back to our camp we were unable to find it that day.

Fast forward a month and I am camped high on the Kaiparowits Plateau within a few miles of the suspected location of Collet Top Arch. With camp setup I start a fire. For me this is unusual as i rarely have fires while camping but it adds to the ambience of the location.

IMG_3058.JPG - 239kB

I spend a day driving the old prospecting roads looking for a parking spot nearest to my estimated spot for the arch. At one point I can even see what looks like the arch off in the distance from the road, but the binoculars are to small to tell for sure. Finding what looked as if it would a good starting point I head back to camp to prepare for tomorrows hike.

I am up and at my chosen parking spot early the next morning, spooking a small herd of deer that were foraging nearby. With the day pack full of water and food I start off. We no trail to follow, I head in the general direction, dropping down into washes only to climb back out again. Weaving through the Pinion and Juniper trees, avoiding the cactus all the while looking around for signs of ancient man.

One of the first things I see that is interesting is very ancient, nice size pieces of petrified wood, but other than a few pictures I leave them where they lay.

PETRIFIED WOOD

IMG_3091.JPG - 231kB

The next find is much more recent. I have no idea what it is. Some sort of weather device perhaps? Researching it after the trip reveals it is a radio relay device that is launched locally to extend smaller personal radios signals to cover an area of several hundred miles. They are used for many things including fire fighting, search and rescue, and military exercises.

RADIO RELAY and CORDS and BALLOONS

IMG_3067.JPG - 242kB

IMG_3068.JPG - 242kB

IMG_3069.JPG - 232kB

After hours of wandering I come across my first sign of ancient man.

RUINS

IMG_3076.JPG - 241kB

And then several more ruins.

IMG_3078.JPG - 192kB

IMG_3079.JPG - 230kB

[Edited on 2-17-2018 by Fatboy]
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 11:55 AM

ANOTHER RUIN

IMG_3096.JPG - 202kB

Then I find a small spring under a cliff that man had partial walled off.

WALLED OFF SPRING UNDER CLIFF

IMG_3099.JPG - 219kB

IMG_3098.JPG - 236kB

After a quick lunch and no sign of my goal I continue onward. Rounding the bulge of the cliff face I am walking along there is Collet Top Arch. Amazing, it is quiet here, with expansive views of to the east and south. I explore the area and the ruins reflecting on the past.

COLLET TOP ARCH RUINS

IMG_3123.JPG - 231kB

IMG_3105.JPG - 232kB

IMG_3102.JPG - 242kB

IMG_3108.JPG - 243kB

In the mid afternoon warmth I head back to the Jeep, happy with the day and fortunate to have seen in person such a site as Collet Top Arch.

[Edited on 2-17-2018 by Fatboy]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 12:10 PM

Man, that looks like a great summer spot, if you are living off the land.

Is it in the area that Trump is proposing de-listing as part of Grand Staircase-Escalante NM?

I'm pretty liberal about protecting unique open space from commercial development, but after driving quite a bit of GSENM, much of it just isn't that unique. The core is, especially the areas along Glen Canyon NRA.

What month were you there? Were the infamous cedar gnats a problem?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 12:11 PM

So cool!
Did you see my comment on your Facebook Baja photos?
Great pics!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 12:19 PM

looks like Bob Steinberger had been there!:D
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 03:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Man, that looks like a great summer spot, if you are living off the land.

Is it in the area that Trump is proposing de-listing as part of Grand Staircase-Escalante NM?

I'm pretty liberal about protecting unique open space from commercial development, but after driving quite a bit of GSENM, much of it just isn't that unique. The core is, especially the areas along Glen Canyon NRA.

What month were you there? Were the infamous cedar gnats a problem?

It is in the area, but it looks as if it would still be in the new monument.

I was there in the middle of October and there was no bugs which was nice.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 03:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
So cool!
Did you see my comment on your Facebook Baja photos?
Great pics!!

I did, I probably should do a trip report on that visit and Thank for the kind words.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 03:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
looks like Bob Steinberger had been there!:D

Had to look that one up! :D
Abel.Villesca

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 11:19 PM

Very cool! GSENM is one of my favorite places.
Elona
Junior Nomad

Mood: BC Addict

[*] posted on 2-18-2018 at 02:46 AM

Yes, what a great place. 2016 we were there:

[Edited on 18-2-2018 by Elona]

Saludos

Elona

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2018 at 08:22 PM

We live in Page Quite familiar with the Kaiparowits
Many, many early Indian ruins on the south facing side that can only be reached if you know how OR by helicopter to view up close

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2018 at 10:30 PM

Wow...amazing photos! Can a sky get any bluer???

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2018 at 10:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Elona  
Yes, what a great place. 2016 we were there:

[Edited on 18-2-2018 by Elona]

It is, isn't it?

And that is one of the interesting things about researching this spot, I found almost as many post in German forums as one here in the US.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2018 at 10:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
We live in Page Quite familiar with the Kaiparowits
Many, many early Indian ruins on the south facing side that can only be reached if you know how OR by helicopter to view up close

I really would love to spend a month there exploring the Plateau. There are some many areas with way fewer crowds than down in the canyons below.

You you be willing to share some of those locations in private?

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2018 at 10:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Wow...amazing photos! Can a sky get any bluer???

Thank You, sky does really come through. Probably at 6000' or so up there in the desert so it can be really clear.
Elona
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2018 at 05:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Fatboy
And that is one of the interesting things about researching this spot, I found almost as many post in German forums as one here in the US.[/rquote  

I'm glad to read that. Many of us Germans are enthusiastic hikers. Exploring the Colorado Plateau is also our passion and we share it in various German USA forums. In 2 months we are back and look forward to many more beautiful landscapes.

Just have a look at my website. The language is German, but the gps coordinates are international ;).

Trails Utah A - D

Trails Utah E - M

Trails Utah N - Z

Saludos

Elona

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2018 at 10:10 AM

That is a pretty impressive list of places! Google was able to translate most of the pages and I read almost all of them, some I have been to, some I have heard of but never been to, and some I have never heard of.

Couple of things if you ever go back to them, or are in the area looking for more places...

Willis Gulch, a few miles further up the Skutumpah road you will come to Bull Valley gorge which is neat short slot canyon, but it also has a treasure in the form of a old pickup wedged high above the floor from an accident back in the mid 1950's.

Broken Bow arch, most of the thickets have bypass trails to avoid them, but even better is that it can be made into a fun loop that can be done in a day. Follow Willow gulch past the arch where it will soon slot up, to forty mile gulch coming in from the left and follow it back to Sooner rocks.

On Hole in the Rock road go to Fifty mile gulch and hike it. You will find a nice eyebrow arch with a massive panel covered with rock art. Also if the lake is low enough, further down the canyon is a really cool slot section.

Don't under estimate Dance Hall rock while on Hole in the Rock rd, it has some cool rock art from more modern folks in the canyons behind the main area.

Another cool hike is No Mans Mesa, which could be done as a long day hike but over night would be better.
Elona
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2018 at 12:11 PM

Hi,

That is a pretty impressive list of places! Google was able to translate most of the pages and I read almost all of them, some I have been to, some I have heard of but never been to, and some I have never heard of.

:D Thank you.

Couple of things if you ever go back to them, or are in the area looking for more places...

Willis Gulch, a few miles further up the Skutumpah road you will come to Bull Valley gorge which is neat short slot canyon, but it also has a treasure in the form of a old pickup wedged high above the floor from an accident back in the mid 1950's.

Broken Bow arch, most of the thickets have bypass trails to avoid them, but even better is that it can be made into a fun loop that can be done in a day. Follow Willow gulch past the arch where it will soon slot up, to forty mile gulch coming in from the left and follow it back to Sooner rocks.

On Hole in the Rock road go to Fifty mile gulch and hike it. You will find a nice eyebrow arch with a massive panel covered with rock art. Also if the lake is low enough, further down the canyon is a really cool slot section.

Don't under estimate Dance Hall rock while on Hole in the Rock rd, it has some cool rock art from more modern folks in the canyons behind the main area.

Another cool hike is No Mans Mesa, which could be done as a long day hike but over night would be better.

Thanks for the suggestions, but

1. in 2008 we hiked Willis Creek and have seen the pickup in the Bull Valley Gorge.

2. 2012 we had been at the Broken Bow Arch. But we did only the round trip.

3. the 50 Mile Gulch is still on the list :yes: .

4. we already did 2 stopps at the dance hall rock ;).

5. hmmm, No Mans Mesa - we only hiked Lick Wash.

This year we will be around Moab and Kanab/Page to explore more canyons :bounce: .

Saludos

Elona

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.