BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Mexican born.... does she need a travel permit?
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 04:41 PM
Mexican born.... does she need a travel permit?

My wife was born in Jalisco, came across many years ago, has been a US citizen for 40 years, carries a US passport and a passport card.
We are headed down to San Felipe next week for a few days and I will be getting my 6 month permit at Mexicali, since our gang is going back in June.

Does she need a permit?
She never renounced her Mexican citizenship, although neglected to keep up her documentation, other than a birth certificate, which we never carry.
Her US docs all indicate place of birth as Jalisco, Mex.

What say you all??
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 04:52 PM

My uninformed, wild a** guess is, probably not! Especially since no one has ever asked me for one!

But if I were in your shoes, I would consider the FMM fee to be cheap insurance against a potential problem.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 04:58 PM

no permit needed

don't waste your money

if shes worried have her bring her birth cert

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 05:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
no permit needed

don't waste your money

if shes worried have her bring her birth cert

This girl does not worry
Her attitude is "Permit.... I don't need no stinkin' permit"
But then again, you need to know this feisty lady
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 05:30 PM

If she does not have any document saying she is a Mexican citizen then she should bring her birth cert. How would they know if she is a Mexican citizen or not? How would they know if she has dual citizenship? Odds are no one will ask for an FMM or any other documents so your probably OK to go without one. I haven't been asked for my FMM in almost 15 years, but I still get one. Even if they did ask what are they going to do? Just give em $20 and they'll let her go.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 06:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
If she does not have any document saying she is a Mexican citizen then she should bring her birth cert. How would they know if she is a Mexican citizen or not? How would they know if she has dual citizenship? Odds are no one will ask for an FMM or any other documents so your probably OK to go without one. I haven't been asked for my FMM in almost 15 years, but I still get one. Even if they did ask what are they going to do? Just give em $20 and they'll let her go.

Agreed,
But, for discussion purposes, seems to me that if her PPcard shows Jalisco as place of birth (and she has articulate, un-accented Spanish) then she is pretty much a presumptive Mexican.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 06:23 PM

Good point. If born in Mexico how does one give up their Mexican citizenship?
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 06:39 PM

she should have a curp card

or a voter card

or a drivers license

or a birth cert

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 06:42 PM

She just needs to say "Soy Mexicana" to anyone crazy enough to question her right to return to the nation of her birth, then use that 'look' women get! LOL

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 08:54 PM

Whether or not she (or anyone else) is asked or an FMM is immaterial. The law requires you to have the proper immigration status when you enter the country.

If she holds a US passport she will be considered a US citizen. A Mexican birth certificate without a Mexican passport, a Mexican CURP card or a Mexican voter registration card does not show or prove Mexican citizenship
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 08:59 PM

FMM's are cheap. People who don't buy them are too.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 09:02 PM

And illegal

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
FMM's are cheap. People who don't buy them are too.
chumlee57
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 09:48 PM

if you are in the country for less than 7 days, you do not need a tourist card from immigration. By all means bring doc's to re enter the USA. I always get the tourist card, just so if some crap happens, I am legit, but I also travel down quite a bit between Oct and June. Try the east border crossing at mexicali on the way back, last week we were the 3rd car in line ( sentri ) but the ready lanes were looking pretty good, it's also a very easy enrty, although there was a little bit of construction at the specific turnoff to enter
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 09:55 PM

Incorrect. You need the proper documents when you cross the border into Mexico. FMM's are free for 7 days or less......but you still need and FMM no matter the length of stay (up to 180 days) or distance from the border

Quote: Originally posted by chumlee57  
if you are in the country for less than 7 days, you do not need a tourist card from immigration. By all means bring doc's to re enter the USA. I always get the tourist card, just so if some crap happens, I am legit, but I also travel down quite a bit between Oct and June. Try the east border crossing at mexicali on the way back, last week we were the 3rd car in line ( sentri ) but the ready lanes were looking pretty good, it's also a very easy enrty, although there was a little bit of construction at the specific turnoff to enter
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2018 at 10:37 PM

bring the birth certificate. and get the curp for free, online. the IFE is time consuming but it is wonderful as ID for banks and travel and everything else!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-19-2018 at 07:55 AM

Have things changed in the past year???

This was the deal in 2017:

1) a PASSPORT (or Passport Card) and not a birth certificate is what Mexico wants to issue the Tourist Card (FMM).

2) Every U.S. or Canadian needs an FMM when they cross the border. Simply walk into the INM office (first building inside Mexico at the border) to get it. There is no longer a 'border zone' that allows for short visits without one.

3) The FMM is FREE for up to 7 days in Mexico or pay for up to 180 days (it was around 500 pesos).

4) The FREE FMM must be returned to INM when you exit Mexico but the pay one does not as you are using it for possible multiple trips during the 180 days it is valid. This rule was stressed at Mexicali but not Tijuana, from reports.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

soylent_green
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2018 at 12:38 PM

if she has time, make appt. at the local Mexican consulate and she should get the "Matricula Consular" ID Card.

Proof of Mexican citizenship, doesn't need to much to get the card (birth certificate, photo ID, marriage certificate if ID has married name, proof of address) https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/sandiego/index.php/documentacio...

costs $27 and from past experience in San Diego consulate, they issue it literally in minutes if you have all the required docs.

Its a photo ID card. She can use it as proof of Mexican citizenship. No need for tourist card then.

$27 is cheaper than a 6 month tourist card :)

Call the consulate closest to you and get the info and requirements

[Edited on 2-19-2018 by soylent_green]
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2018 at 05:36 PM
Probably the best advice of all

Quote: Originally posted by soylent_green  
if she has time, make appt. at the local Mexican consulate and she should get the "Matricula Consular" ID Card.

Proof of Mexican citizenship, doesn't need to much to get the card (birth certificate, photo ID, marriage certificate if ID has married name, proof of address) https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/sandiego/index.php/documentacio...

costs $27 and from past experience in San Diego consulate, they issue it literally in minutes if you have all the required docs.

Its a photo ID card. She can use it as proof of Mexican citizenship. No need for tourist card then.

$27 is cheaper than a 6 month tourist card :)

Call the consulate closest to you and get the info and requirements

[Edited on 2-19-2018 by soylent_green]

We have talked about going up to Sacramento, an hour away, and going through the process. If we ever do finally decide to buy property in Baja it will be much easier to do so as a citizen than through a bank trust.

As to having to show proof of citizenship prior to entering the country.....
Well that just makes me smile.
Were that true then the line of cars backed up at San Ysidro would extend clear up to Oceanside.
Mexicans don't show "proof of citizenship" when crossing over southbound.
For that matter, how many Mexicans could you encounter on the streets of Baja that would have "proof of citizenship" on their person????
For that matter, how many US citizens are bearing "proof of citizenship" on their person while walking around in the US?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2018 at 05:51 PM

Your drivers license is the ID most recognized. Until CA started issuing drivers license to illegals it was the standard. The US government wants a tamper proof drivers license card which CA does not meet the requirements. If CA doesn't get their act together you will not be able to board a flight out of CA to another state unless you have a passport.
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2018 at 06:06 PM

When it counts "proof of citizenship" or a legal visa is required.
Try the following without and see where it gets you:
1. Sign a bank Fideocomiso.
2. Getting a dead body back to US.
3. Serving as a trust executor
3. Trying to get near to a US embassy.
5. Got > $10,000 cash at the border.

Es Todo Bueno
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.