BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fishing Kayaks - elevated seat?
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2018 at 09:07 AM
Fishing Kayaks - elevated seat?

OK everyone, starting to do my research here.

So I'm thinking that the pedal power drives are proabaly a worthwhile (and expensive) option on your fishing Kayak.

But in looking at those all decked out primo models, they put an elevated seat on em. I understand the value of that for fishing, and pedaling, but does it create alot of instability, if the wind comes up, or some swell, does it become more unstable?
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2018 at 09:14 AM

The Hobie seat on my kayak has two settings. You can lower it by about two inches. The only instability issue I had was when sailing and had her heeled over and caught a swell. No issues at all when fishing.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
tobias
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2018 at 09:15 AM

I have an older hobie outback and the seat is not really elevated but I think next year I will get a newer one with elevated seat
They make up for height by making the craft wider. Most are so stable you can stand to fish.
I have also been watching lots of videos on surf launching these things. Its not easy but they are doing it in some pretty heavy surf.
Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2018 at 02:37 PM

Not sure how and where you plan to use your kayak but my only caution is that if you plan to use it only in Baja, the Mirage drives do break down, and will be a long ways, or a very long ways from any available parts. Most Hobie owners that will purchase spares of the parts that are susceptible.. Cables, chains, fins and pulleys etc. A small shopping bag of these parts can cost you $500 at least. A complete spare drive retails for around $750 for the newest version, and because of all the patents they have, there is no reason to offer a 20 or 30% off sale. I am a true fan of Hobie, the company. Their products are innovative and they seem to know what the customers want before they do. Just too many expensive, moving parts for a spot 300+ miles from the closest parts supply IMO.

There is no magic in launching a kayak in heavy surf. You just have to point the bow into the waves and paddle or pedal like mad until you are outside the surfline. The real test is coming back in to the shore in the surf. Every Hobie I have used or seen used will get sideways in a heartbeat when trying to land in the surf. Not a big deal unless you forgot to tether your Mirage drive or favorite fishing outfit.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-18-2018 at 02:41 PM

Agreed^^^. Just get a regular side inside and go for it.

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 2-18-2018 at 04:40 PM

I think a back rest or lumbar support would be more beneficial than a higher center of gravity. BTW, a buddy o' mine caught a 50# dog snapper in an open kayak, towed him around for an hour and 45 minutes, and I had to gaff it into my inflatable because it wouldn't fit in his Li'l boat.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Ron_Perry
Junior Nomad

Mood: yearning for baja

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 09:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Rossman  
Not sure how and where you plan to use your kayak but my only caution is that if you plan to use it only in Baja, the Mirage drives do break down, and will be a long ways, or a very long ways from any available parts. Most Hobie owners that will purchase spares of the parts that are susceptible.. Cables, chains, fins and pulleys etc. A small shopping bag of these parts can cost you $500 at least. A complete spare drive retails for around $750 for the newest version, and because of all the patents they have, there is no reason to offer a 20 or 30% off sale. I am a true fan of Hobie, the company. Their products are innovative and they seem to know what the customers want before they do. Just too many expensive, moving parts for a spot 300+ miles from the closest parts supply IMO.

There is no magic in launching a kayak in heavy surf. You just have to point the bow into the waves and paddle or pedal like mad until you are outside the surfline. The real test is coming back in to the shore in the surf. Every Hobie I have used or seen used will get sideways in a heartbeat when trying to land in the surf. Not a big deal unless you forgot to tether your Mirage drive or favorite fishing outfit.

Can't agree with this 100%

I have owned a Hobie Outback since 2014. Fish Baja and the Norther California Coast. 39 trips to Baja, all driving, 61 years old, free diving for 41 years, endurance fisherman and diver, Coast Guard Captain license, 50 ton. Fishing and diving addict.

I have...BEAT THE HELL out of my Outback. Only one problem the entire time, broken Stainless Steel mirage drive cable, an easy fix. I would take a spare to Baja. I have a spare rudder cable. NEVER heard of a fin or pulley problem. IF...you have a problem with the mirage drive, use your paddle. I am a active member of Northern California Kayak Anglers...a huge kayak blog site, tons of information, check it out.

When launching into the ocean,...longer is better (for example, 15ft compared to my Outback 12ft). Very difficult to launch an Hobie peddle drive with the mirage drive installed. I leash my down and paddle out. Install the mirage drive when offshore.
Same when bring the peddle drive back in to shore...I pull the mirage drive up, leash up, then paddle in.

Yep, I have flipped once, at Muir Beach, a difficult launch. Lost some gear. Many peddle and paddle kayaks have flipped.

With my Outback, I can put my 7mm wetsuit and 21 pound weight belt inside my kayak, fish for 5 hours, then change into my wet suit on my kayak...free dive...then fish some more. A very stable boat.

If I were buying a kayak for Baja only, I would get a Hobie Revo, it is 14ft and narrower...faster for trolling.

The seat on my Outback is ok...the newer ones look to have better back support. If you want a work out, buy a paddle kayak. With the mirage drive, I can have a free hand to eat or drink a beer...or back up over a snagged lure. I have also had to chase LARGE fish...one hand on the rudder knob, the other holding the rod, while peddling like hell.

Either a peddle or paddle kayak, if you fall in and cannot get back onto the kayak, better not buy one. Hope this helps, Ron
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 11:08 PM

Which pedal boat are you thinking of getting? Not every yak is suited for everyone. I'm in Ross's camp and first yak fished baja in 1997. I see the pedal boats with high seats, they look comfy, but would not be my choice for mainly fishing the pacific thru moderate surf. I see the Hobie PA'a and can only imaging them being a 'cortez' platform. If hobie made a pedal boat that matched my OK trident - maybe I'd own it. Pedaling has some advantages over paddling, but the high seat means a high center of gravity. Lower center is out of the wind, enables you pull harder. Straddle your yak with your legs

Check out big waters edge, there are a ton of used Hobie's for sale.

[Edited on 2-27-2018 by aguachico]
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2018 at 10:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by aguachico  
Which pedal boat are you thinking of getting? Not every yak is suited for everyone. I'm in Ross's camp and first yak fished baja in 1997. I see the pedal boats with high seats, they look comfy, but would not be my choice for mainly fishing the pacific thru moderate surf. I see the Hobie PA'a and can only imaging them being a 'cortez' platform. If hobie made a pedal boat that matched my OK trident - maybe I'd own it. Pedaling has some advantages over paddling, but the high seat means a high center of gravity. Lower center is out of the wind, enables you pull harder. Straddle your yak with your legs

Check out big waters edge, there are a ton of used Hobie's for sale.

[Edited on 2-27-2018 by aguachico]

I'm planning on primarily Sea of Cortez fishing, occasionally get on the pacific side, or use it up here in central california to fish the kelp beds

Right now I'm looking at The Malibu Steath 14 as a paddle boat , and the Hobie outback and the peception pescador pilot for pedal Yaks,
As I understand it you can fold up the Pilots propeller drive system so it folds up completely above the hull line for launching and beaching.
some of the issue is price, do i go with a simpler entry level Yak till I know fior sure this is the way i want to go, then move up, or take the plunge and lay out significant cash on the front side!
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2018 at 10:47 AM

I would love to check out Bigwaters edge, but so far, I'm too stupid to complete the registration, first time through it asks me the name of the boat they fisdh on - how the hell do i know? the second attempt it says i need to enter a 4 digit code, says click here to get the code, but you click there and it "cannot be reacjhed" apparently I'm not nearly cool enough to hang out with the secret kayak fishers club that meets there!

ah I get it, not the name of a specific boat - they wanted Kayak entered, like one of those puzzleroom mystery deals to sign up

[Edited on 2-28-2018 by caj13]
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 3-1-2018 at 11:49 PM

Two yaks are a good idea. Buy used. Buy cheap. They do not stay pretty very long. After 3 months they all look the same.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.