Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: expired passport
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2018 at 03:57 PM
expired passport

Anyone ever suddenly notice that their passport just expired or expired while south of the border and are heading north soon, like in a few weeks???
What options, play dumb at the border, If you try to renew it takes several weeks to get scheduled in TJ or Cabo Consulate and it would take 2 trips from our understanding.
If you live 1/2 way between them that's a lot of travel....

I would guess this has happened to some since the only time you use it is when you cross back north usually....

This should bring the critters out of the woodwork....

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
stiladam
Nomad

Mood: Acoustic

[*] posted on 2-22-2018 at 04:02 PM

You can't be denied entry at the border, so most likely you'll just get a stern talking to. Easy stuff, then get it renewed ASAP!
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 2-22-2018 at 04:03 PM

Not to worry,
I would guess that you have a drivers licence. If so you won't have any problem. Simply tell the boarder officer that you are in the process of renewing it. ( Passport )

I had a friend that didn't even have any ID as he left it in his car ( on the us side ) and they just asked him a few questions and let him pass.
But he didn't look Mexican .
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-22-2018 at 04:05 PM

The U.S. doesn't insist on a passport to return home. Americans cannot be denied entry into your own country. The passport just speeds up the process. Mexico is the fussy one and won't accept it (if expired) for the FMM. It is amazing they didn't notice the date was close to expiring.

[Edited on 2-22-2018 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2018 at 04:09 PM

This is an interesting dilemma, but likely not unheard-of, since the State Department doesn't send reminders to passport holders when their passport is about to expire. I had a similar issue with my MA driver's license a few years back. I was pulled over for speeding, and sure enough, my license had expired a few days earlier. I was not only issued a ticket, but had my wife not been with me to take over the driving, I would have gone to jail. :o

[Edited on 2-22-2018 by pauldavidmena]

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-22-2018 at 04:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Americans cannot be denied entry into your own country.

The govt can do what they want to. They can send american citizens into rendition, send citizens to gitmo, or 'disappear' you just because they dont like you - read your history, it is bound to repeat itself),... however, in the case of most joe six pack nomads, you can probably get back in the country,... unless!

Mexico is the fussy one...

I would not call mexico "fussy" because they require a valid passport of foreigners. The USA requires foreigners show a valid passport. Most (if not all) countries require foreign visitors to show a valid passport to legally enter country.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 2-22-2018 at 07:42 PM
Below is my post from January 30th, 2018

Passport renewal turn around time

FYI, I went directly to the Post Office at LAX and turned in my application with photos and a check for $110 on Friday, January 12th. Keep in mind that Monday January 15th was a holiday, MLK Day, so it got to the man probably Tuesday, January 16th.

Said screw it and crossed the border South without a passport and crossed Northbound at Lukeville this last Saturday. 2 Cars in front of me, handed my California drivers license and a photocopy of my soon to be expired passport and totally unlike experiences at Tecate and Otay, he was pleasant and didn't lecture or even question the situation. Maybe 1 minute at the booth and on my way.

Any way, got back yesterday and in my P.O. Box there was my new passport. Don't know how long it was there but even worse case scenario it took maybe 7 or 8 working days.

There you go.

[Edited on 2-23-2018 by Howard]

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2018 at 10:23 PM

I crossed with nothing a few months ago when my car and everything in it was stolen while I was surfing. They asked me my name and hometown and let me right through. I have taken many friends through lately with just drivers licenses too, so if you have that it will work also. No worries just go and don’t be a jerk if they start to hassle you at all. It’s their job to see if you get nervous or start changing stories.
toronja
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2018 at 11:40 AM

Been there, done that. Crossed back into the US with an expired passport ~3 years ago now at Mexicali. Border officer didn't even mention it, just ran the passports through the computer, handed them back, and waved us on. A visiting friend had brought down my birth certificate just in case, but we never needed it.

As others have said, the worst you're likely to face is a lecture and being sent to secondary inspection and delayed a bit.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2018 at 01:49 PM

Read my post... compared to the U.s. about expired passports, Mexico is the fussy one. No other connection to fussy was implied.

It is not fussy for Mexico to deny entry to foreigners without a valid passport, which is quite different from the US allowing its own citizens entry with expired passport. All countries require that valid passports be produced by foreigners.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2018 at 02:11 PM

Fussy for us Americans, compared to U.S. border.

The need for a passport by Mexico for Americans is a fairly new thing. If it had always been the same as traveling to, say Nigeria, I wouldn't compare the two. I didn't think I had to get so detailed with a casual comment.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 2-25-2018 at 02:39 PM

DK: Don't be so fussy...:coolup:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2018 at 03:16 PM

LOL, okay chuckie!

chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2018 at 03:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by toronja  
Been there, done that. Crossed back into the US with an expired passport ~3 years ago now at Mexicali. Border officer didn't even mention it, just ran the passports through the computer, handed them back, and waved us on. A visiting friend had brought down my birth certificate just in case, but we never needed it.

If I remember correctly you also crossed into Mexico and got a FMM with an expired passport. ;)
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 2-25-2018 at 04:24 PM

The heavy documentation now required while crossing borders came about quite suddenly but almost with entry into the 21st century. And of course, we're taking about North America; Europe was busy casting off requiring land border crossings to even need passports, or even any checks whatsoever. But with the scare that computers world-wide would crash the instant TIME entered the new millenium, combined with a new presidency and with the days leading up to September 11th, 2001 ,and worse, following those events, border security became very strict. The USA appeared to be under seige. You were then required to prove you were not an enemy. That was not Mexico, that was not Canada. We all took USA concerns on, as our own, to the American lead.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 01:58 PM

The story is very VERY different if you are Canadian.
US does NOT allow entry to foreign Nationals without passport, period.

For other than US, one would need to go to the Canada consulate in TJ, and get an emergency passport,, takes ~3-4 days.

Funny story, needed to do this when my van was swiped in TJ some years back, part of the process is that the consulate Spanish speaking clerk calls references,,,most of mine were exgirlfriends. For some reason the clerk thought I was Australian,, so in her accent, the ex's thought she was asking..... "Is he a STALLION!!?". ...Lucky they figured out what she was asking before saying. ...damn right!!! <;~D

[Edited on 2-26-2018 by micah202]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.