Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: U.S. CA tax Payers
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2018 at 11:55 AM
U.S. CA tax Payers

Interesting thing I found out yesterday. I had my income taxes done yesterday and my tax lady asked if I purchased anything on line that I did not pay CA sales tax on. I told her I probably did but I don't remember when or what it was. Most of my on line purchases are with Amazon and they charge taxes. I usually don't keep the receipt unless it's a major purchase.

She said CA wants you to pay the tax if it was not included in the bill and the tax preparer is required to ask you about it.

That's the first time I've been asked.

[Edited on 2-23-2018 by TMW]
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-23-2018 at 12:30 PM

No doubt everybody would be happy to supply that information.:biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 2-23-2018 at 12:59 PM

That's been a question on Turbo Tax for the past few years. The correct answer is NO.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2018 at 01:43 PM

Our accountant in MA always asks us the same question every year. He often shakes his head for us in case we're unsure of our answer.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 2-23-2018 at 02:13 PM

That is a CA legal requirement; most states now collect CA sales tax. But if you're like me you don't bother keeping track of states that don't :o
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 2-23-2018 at 02:20 PM
Sales Tax Cheats

Having no idea how long it has been the case, it's been as long as I can remember that one was responsible for paying said taxes.

Obviously, unless it was some BIG ticket item that (for some reason) came to the attention of the Franchise Tax Board, there is simply no way for the state to KNOW (prove) that one has evaded the taxes.

Which is why there has been (for some years) an ongoing campaign by some states (California included) to force (or coerce) online vendors to collect the tax. Short of changes in Federal law, the reliance has been on pressuring the BIG vendors (such as Amazon) who have a presence within the state. Amazon itself does collect the tax, but many of their "associates" do not.

So far.

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2018 at 02:44 PM

author=MrBillM]Having no idea how long it has been the case, it's been as long as I can remember that one was responsible for paying said taxes.

Mr. Bill you have no idea what you are talking about.
internet purchases have always been taxed as interstate commerce, under federal law. tax exempt. Maybe that's why Amazon has its headquarters for tax purposes in some tiny place no one has ever heard of
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2018 at 03:05 PM

Yes, it's more likely some states are seeing loss of sales tax revenue from "brick and mortar" locations within the state.

John
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-23-2018 at 03:51 PM

Do they consider your CC billing addy or delivery of taxable item addy for the tax? You know, if you sent item to another state.

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2018 at 05:08 PM
PAY The TAXMAN

Before you spout verbal Diarrhea KNOW what you're talking about ..................... I was (clearly, I thought) speaking to the CALIFORNIA legal position regarding the paying of use tax (in lieu of sales tax):

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/use-tax.shtml

"..........You may owe use tax on purchases you made from out-of-state or Internet sellers. Use tax is similar to the sales tax paid on purchases you make in California. You may report use tax on your income tax return instead of filing a use tax return with the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration. To report use tax on your income tax return, you may use either the Use Tax Worksheet or the Use Tax Lookup Table. Both are included in the tax booklet instructions.

You must pay California use tax when you purchase out-of-state items by telephone, Internet, mail, or in person and both of the following apply:

The seller does not collect California sales or use tax.
You use, give away, store, or consume the item in this state.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I said, the foregoing has been the law in California for as long as I can remember.

As to the California (and other states) battle with Amazon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_tax

[Edited on 2-24-2018 by MrBillM]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2018 at 08:55 AM

the taxman shaking his head while asking the question is very funny!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 2-25-2018 at 08:03 AM

As an online shopper I know that most internet vendors collect sales tax for California. Recently I ordered a knife from Virginia, it was a big ticket item, but they did not collect sales tax. I was kinda surprised since every other vendor has collected for several years now. But since I returned the knife it was okay I did not track it...
bajapedro
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2018 at 08:07 AM

I buy everything I can on line from out of state just to avoid paying the state of "corruption and overtaxation" sales tax.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-25-2018 at 09:27 AM

If it's any comfort, M&E BOOKS (in El Cajon, CA) does not add sales tax onto the book price (or any U.S. postage or handling charge) for my Baja California Land of Missions book: www.oldmissions.com

EDIT: Just so there is no confusion, M&E does pay the California sales tax on every purchase, they just do not ADD the tax on top of the price to the buyer. That and the free shipping to U.S. addresses is equal to about a $6 discount off the actual cost of the book.... making the book itself about $24.

:light::bounce::biggrin:

[Edited on 2-25-2018 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2018 at 10:34 AM
Big-Tickets Online

Checking my extensive order history with Amazon.com two days ago, I found that (7) of the last (12) orders did not include CA sales tax. Granted, they were not really High-Ticket items. The highest total on an order that wasn't taxed was $249.99 with the second-largest (and latest) $138.65.

Those who are unsure of their various purchases through Amazon can check order details going back (at least) to 2005.

Beyond the legal question, whether or not an individual should voluntarily pay the (equivalent) Use Tax is a personal decision that can be debated (as evading taxes often is), BUT knowing what is owed (with Amazon and other vendors) is a simple process.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 02:22 PM
It is called Sales and Use Tax

Whether you buy it in California and pay tax or buy it elsewhere and "use" it as a California resident makes no difference. The tax is due. Mr. Bill, Amazon charges sales tax on all the sales made directly through Amazon. Much of the business done through Amazon is actually brokered to other companies and they may or may not charge the tax. If not charged, it is still due.

And then, of course comes the fun part. Loving the great State of California as we all do, and wanting to help it maintain its position as the most vicious and successful taxing agency outside of IRS we all want to do our part, right??? Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

So folks, do your part, fess up to everything you got up in Oregon without sales tax and help support Gov. JB on his way out.

Those who bought cars out of state and brought them into California have always known how this little game works. No tax, no license. Easy to enforce. Not so easy on your internet purchases or the Oregon outlet mall.

Want an ugly example??? My late Baja racing partner Chuck (we finished second in pickup class in the 1000 many years ago) bought a light sport aircraft from a private party ten years ago for $60k. First time he flew it the wings flew off and Chuck was killed. His widow got a bill from Gov. Jerry a month later for $5000 and it was collected under severe duress. And they didn't even send a sympathy card.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 03:07 PM
Thanks for AGREEING with What I'd already SAID

Affirmation is always appreciated.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 03:10 PM
Actually I was not agreeing with what you said.

But why quibble over small stuff.
You indicated that half of your Amazon purchases were sans sales tax and I was trying to point out that the reason for this was that you likely were buying from other vendors, brokered by Amazon.
So, sorry for the quibble back to your quibble.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 03:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
If it's any comfort, M&E BOOKS (in El Cajon, CA) does not add sales tax onto the book price (or any U.S. postage or handling charge) for my Baja California Land of Missions book: www.oldmissions.com

EDIT: Just so there is no confusion, M&E does pay the California sales tax on every purchase, they just do not ADD the tax on top of the price to the buyer. That and the free shipping to U.S. addresses is equal to about a $6 discount off the actual cost of the book.... making the book itself about $24.

:light::bounce::biggrin:

[Edited on 2-25-2018 by David K]

Basically you include this in the price of the book. I wish more would do the same.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 03:26 PM

I've met people from Europe that thought it odd that a sales tax was added on at the point of sale in the US. They pay what the price is of the item as shown. Yes they pay a tax but it is added before the point of sale similar to what David is doing. They call it a value added tax. It is added at various step to the product as it makes its way to the customer.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.