Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: U.S. CA tax Payers
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 04:41 PM
It is called IVA in Mexico

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I've met people from Europe that thought it odd that a sales tax was added on at the point of sale in the US. They pay what the price is of the item as shown. Yes they pay a tax but it is added before the point of sale similar to what David is doing. They call it a value added tax. It is added at various step to the product as it makes its way to the customer.

They do the same in Mexico
Called Value Added Tax
I will take our US sales tax system any day over IVA
The hidden costs to the consumer of VAT are way past the simple add on sales tax

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 06:03 PM
Picking Nettlesome Nits

I can only "Assume" that the Bajarunner comment resulted from his incomplete reading of the entire thread which would explain his ignorance.

In my second post on this thread, I noted:

" ........ Short of changes in Federal law, the reliance has been on pressuring the BIG vendors (such as Amazon) who have a presence within the state. Amazon itself does collect the tax, but many of their "associates" do not .........."

Are we clear Now that WE agree ?

The POINT that I was making in the last post was that (due to the "partner" loophole, a significant number of orders (in many cases, a majority) purchased through Amazon.com result in no sales tax collected.

Much of Amazon's argument against collecting and forwarding sales tax to the appropriate states for ALL sales made through their websites centered around those "associates', affiliates or (amazon's term) "partners".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_tax

" ....... as of April 2017 collects sales taxes from customers in all 45 states that have a state sales tax and in Washington, D.C ........ Additionally, approximately half of all Amazon.com purchases are sold on the Amazon Marketplace through 3rd-party vendors, and these purchases remain free of tax ........Those states include several where Amazon has a clear physical presence via distribution centers and wholly owned subsidiaries ......... During the first wave of "Amazon laws", many states determined that if an affiliate or other entity in the state received compensation for referrals to an online retailer, then that constituted a nexus in the state and hence retailers were liable for collecting sales taxes. In many cases, after these laws were passed, Amazon shut down its affiliate program in those states and was able to avoid collecting sales taxes .......... In 2011, Amazon threatened to terminate roughly 10,000 of its affiliates located in California if legislation pending in the state legislature to deem such affiliates as constituting a nexus that requires the collection of sales tax is passed .......... In July 2011, Amazon made good on its promises to terminate California affiliates. According to the Performance Marketing Association, there were 25,000 Amazon affiliates based in California .......... In response to resistance from Amazon.com, other online retailers, and anti-tax groups, the State of California agreed to a delay of one year before requiring online retailers to begin collecting sales tax on sales to California addresses. In return for the one-year delay, Amazon.com says it will create 10,000 full-time jobs, 25,000 seasonal jobs, invest $500 million in various facilities in California over the next few years, and begin remitting sales taxes on orders shipped to California ......... California began collecting sales taxes on September 15, 2012 and the rate will depend upon where the buyer is located. However, this requirement may not apply to third-party sellers on Amazon ........."
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2018 at 12:02 PM

I just purchased three Dom Deluise cook books on Amazon and two did not have a sales tax.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-27-2018 at 12:26 PM

To stay in line with California's social policies, there should be a tax added to every book to pay for audio versions for those who never learned to read!

It will have to be pretty high to ensure that the language of the user's choice is available. I mean...if you can afford to buy a cook book, or a guide to Baja missions, you must be rich enough to pay your fair share! :P

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2018 at 01:33 PM

I buy the used versions they are much cheaper.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 2-27-2018 at 02:54 PM
A Taxing Thought

On taxing thought ?

Given that there are continuing (and more frequent) proposals for extending the sales tax to "services", that day may well come as states and municipalities search for needed funds.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.