Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: San Felipe a destination for a couple weeks
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 10:49 AM
San Felipe a destination for a couple weeks

Had dinner with my neighbors last night and they want to go to SF in a couple of months for a couple weeks instead of Rocky Point. I know nothing of San Felipe other than driving through it years ago. They have a 40 foot motorhome to go there in and would like hookups if they are available.
They explore restaurants and shopping. What are they in for if they go to SF? I figure someone here has to know, right? :-) :-)

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 10:53 AM

A good camp ground with full hook ups is Kiki's on the north end of SF. Clean showers and bathroom, with a night watchman. Short walk to town, even better if you take a bike to run around on.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 11:39 AM

We stayed at Victor's RV Park in our 36ft Winnebago last year and are headed down later in the week. Very friendly place. Close enough to town but also not too close if tt's a rowdy weekend. San Felipe was hit pretty hard in the recession and most of the development for RV parks is happening in Rocky Point so it can seem a little scruffy and dated but we still really like it.

Here's our blog post from last year -
http://www.awaywewinnebago.com/san-felipe-baja-mexico/

Here's some notes I put together for RV group -

FMM
We bought our FMM online last year and had it stamped when crossing. This year we went to Alogdones for the day and picked up them up without a problem.

Insurance
Mexico doesn't recognize US insurance and can throw you in jail if you are in an accident until both parties settle. Buying Mexican liability insurance s a must. Check with your provider to see what they cover in Mexico. Tow cars and Rvs both need liability but if you are parking your RV you might only need to purchase for travel days. A couple of options:

https://www.bajabound.com/buy/?view=start
http://www.discoverbaja.com/mexican-auto-insurance/

Border Crossing
We crossed at Mexicali East. Pretty easy crossing and it avoids downtown. Stay in the far right lane as you come in. They blocked off traffic for us and let us go inside to get our FMM stamps. Coming back into the US was a nightmare. Very tight and long lines. Stay in right lane.

I think caravaning through Mexicali might be tough as you will expect that not all rigs can make it through stoplights together. There are places outside of town with taco stands we saw trucks pulled over so you might stop there and wait for others to catch up. The highway once you out of town is well maintained and a pretty easy drive.

Guns and Military checkpoints
Don't take any guns and ammunition. Also leave any pepper spray back in the US. We weren't inspected very thoroughly but not worth the chance. There's a military inspection station before San Felipe and before Gonzaga Bay that we went through. They don't speak much English but only wanted to know where we had been and where we were going.

Groceries
Calimax is a good size grocery store that is modern and clean. They take Visa and maybe Amex and are well stocked with beer and tequila - https://www.calimax.com.mx/tiendas/san-felipe/

Bodega Aurrera next door also has a good selection.

OXXO is a chain for convenience stores you will see around town. Seemed to have good prices on beer and accepted credit cards.

Water
We bought RO good filtered water from Agua Express close to the arches as you come into town. Very cheap. https://www.google.com/maps/@31.0290498,-114.8518059,3a,75y,...
Money
You can use US money but will probably get a better exchange with Pesos. There's banks downtown with ATM.
Eats and Drinks
El Kikiriki – Great grilled chicken and tacos at cheap prices.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150775-d31902...

La Morena – Good fish and shrimp tacos
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150775-d21839...

Baja Mar – Popular bar and restaurant
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150775-d67506...

La Vaquita – Good seafood. More upscale but still reasonable.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150775-d24208...

RV Park Option
Club de Pesca is next door to Victor's and actually has more Ocean front hookup spots if you run out of options at Victor's and people don't want to dry camp.
https://www.facebook.com/clubdepescarvpark/

Internet and Phone
We used our Verizon Unlimted plan to access Telcel 4G with 500mb daily data limit. Victor's has decent WIFI especially if you are close to office.
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/resources/keeping-connected...

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 12:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  

They explore restaurants and shopping. What are they in for if they go to SF? I figure someone here has to know, right? :-) :-)

if they are looking for "restaurants and shopping" then san felipe is an odd choice.
perhaps they would better enjoy the ensenada/valle de guadalupe area...

p.s. is shopping a recreational activity?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 01:12 PM

There are 9 or so RV Parks in SF proper on the beach, some are
tight for a 40' MH, one would have to check them out, some have
more room than others, most with concrete pads, some sand. Some decent bathrooms, some not. Not to step on Cliff's request, but a reply
suggested leaving pepper spray at home, I don't carry it,
but is it legal or is it one of those grey area items Mex
seems to not be clear with?

HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 01:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

if they are looking for "restaurants and shopping" then san felipe is an odd choice.
perhaps they would better enjoy the ensenada/valle de guadalupe area...

p.s. is shopping a recreational activity?

Not really an odd choice but different than Ensenada and Valle de Guadalupe. There's plenty of great and inexpensive seafood in San Felipe. It's a small walkable town with ample Mexican handicrafts if that's one wants to shop for. A nice sandy beach to enjoy an intro to the Sea of Cortez. Nicer weather than Ensenada this time of year.

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 01:33 PM

Don't make the mistake of going during the summer unless you can tolerate high heat + high humidity. Inland gets a lot hotter than along the coast, but there's less humidity.

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 02:28 PM
What to do in San Felipe

We were there briefly last Saturday to check out my partner's lot in El Dorado Ranch.
I suppose you could call the trinket joints some form of shopping. My wife loves to shop and she was ready to head out in 15 minutes.
We had a great shrimp lunch on the Malecon and headed to Ensenada.

If you are young and into motos and bikes and hanging out on the beach walk then it is paradise.
If you love to sit and drink all afternoon (and evening) and tell each other how great it is to be down here in Mexico drinking all afternoon (and evening) then by all means go.

Or you can shop for a beach front place where you can sit and drink and watch the motos and bikes go by.

Otherwise SF is not such a great place.

We were in Ensenada three hours after lunch.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 03:41 PM

It is definitely not for everyone. I love the place! I like exploring the desert, walking the male on and hanging out on the beaches.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 05:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
It is definitely not for everyone.

Worked with a guy at the Sano Nuke plant, who once told me
he lived in G Negro for a few yrs. Peaked my curiosity. With a
less than positive tone I asked what in
the heck were you doing in that place?( He was a Supt. at the Salt
Works) to which he replied, I put this to memory, 'one can find beauty
in any place'

JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 09:23 PM

fl
Had dinner with my neighbors last night and they want to go to SF in a couple of months for a couple weeks instead of Rocky Point. I know nothing of San Felipe other than driving through it years ago. They have a 40 foot motorhome to go there in and would like hookups if they are available.

Do everything in your power to convince them that is a bad idea. Proximity to the border, low lying coast line devoid of mountains, and the huge tidal swing make it horrible.

SF is just terrible. It is full of Mexican partyers or redneck offroaders. The beaches are complete chit and there are zero islands/coves.

If they even semi like RP in Sonora tell them to go to San Carlos in Sonora. RP and SF are 3's and SC is a 10.

San Carlos is infinitely better. The water and landscape is incredible nice there. Way better restaurants and good RV places. Road is much easier to drive. If they want to go to Baja, they need to keep going South.

I wouldn't stay in SF or RP a couple weeks if you paid for everything and gave me a couple grand extra.

[Edited on 2-27-2018 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 11:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
fl

Do everything in your power to convince them that is a bad idea. Proximity to the border, low lying coast line devoid of mountains, and the huge tidal swing make it horrible.

SF is just terrible. It is full of Mexican partyers or redneck offroaders.

Jizz,
I am confused. You are a redneck offroader, aren’t you?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-27-2018 at 12:06 AM

OK let's put it this way-
Given your choice would it be Rocky Point or SF? The 2 seem similar to me but mt SF info is very dated.

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 2-27-2018 at 10:16 AM

OK let's put it this way-
Given your choice would it be Rocky Point or SF? The 2 seem similar to me but mt SF info is very dated.

Rocky point is like San Diego now. I don't go to mexico to rent a $300,000 condo for $300 a night. I need a $25 dollar room and a taco stand.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2018 at 10:28 AM

Agree and downtown Rocky Point is pretty bad for Lodging. The downtown area is nowhere a nice as San Felipe.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2018 at 10:30 AM

Taken in my truck in San Felipe in early September. This was the same time when the town's electricity went out, late afternoon into the evening (read: no A/C):

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2018 at 10:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Taken in my truck in San Felipe in early September. This was the same time when the town's electricity went out, late afternoon into the evening (read: no A/C):

and you were wisely headed west to get out of hell for cooler weather!

Woke!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-27-2018 at 11:04 AM

ja ja ja ja... I love they way you San Felipe lovers like to scare away potential newbies!

San Felipe is the home of the Fish Taco, after all! (of course, Ensenada lays claim to this product, too)!

If they have been to Puerto Peñasco ("Rocky Point") already, then let them see the 'other side of the sea, which is San Felipe.

Camping 20 miles south of San Felipe, as I usually do, the glow of Puerto Peñasco is visible at night, on the horizon (the earth really is a globe). The two places are very different. I was last at Puerto Peñasco in the 1980s, so I am sure it is even more built up. San Felipe is not that different than the 80's... Oh sure, it now has a supermarket and a lot more gringos, but overall it is not unrecognizable from the past 35 years.

The beaches are huge, sand, and the major attraction. However, the off-roading, hiking, exploring is wide-open! There are mountains all over, just west! The highest mountain in Baja commands the west view and sunsets. There are dozens of canyons with palms, waterfalls, petroglyphs, and hot springs to see. A self-guided tour of the Valle de los Gigantes cactus park is popular, by Punta Estrella.

Unless you see for yourself, you won't really know if San Felipe is your cup of tea.

Typical beach near San Felipe.
In September... on the beach the temperature is closer to 100° but away a few miles into the desert, it goes up! We love the beach in the summer... the water is warm, too!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 2-27-2018 at 11:55 AM

Five years ago we did a month in SF, with two other rigs. After driving far into Pacific Mainland Mexico for seven years and always in a hurry to get far enough south to have the winter waters nice and warm, we decided to try the northern areas. San Felipe came first, east gate at Mexicali, and down 5. We had a rough idea of where we might camp and this was Club de Pesca. We looked it over and could see where we could fit in, just past the two 40-foot motor homes that need to ease themselves in on angles that would allow the roadway behind them enough space. We three were all shorter. The manager did not take our money, invited us to look around to see if we could find a better RV park.

We took him up on this, spent almost an entire day looking to see something better. We didn't. We lacked only sewage at our sites at Club la Pesca, and being long time boondockers, we stayed. The long concrete apron that got us so close to the beach, was the reason, with wifi at the store/club house. Three of us were golfers, but found the late opening of the course, 9 AM, was just in time for the wind to pick up. Not so good. We were far enough away from town to enjoy quiet, but close enough to walk in on occasion.

We had a golf game for all six of us one day, right out in front, on the sand at low tide. Took a day to drive towed cars down as far as Portecitos. Enjoyed the Mardi Gras in town. Happy hours with ourselves and even with the folks from Northern California who had the big rigs nearby. Took in the SuperBowl. Eating out was always a delight. This was Mexico pretty much as we knew it from past winters spent at 19.2 degrees north lattitude, except for more English Language spoken.

After our month was up we drove back up hwy 5 to a spot where we turned east, and eventually got on the highway through the Altair Dessert, for three weeks at Rocky Point, or Puerto Penasco. We didn't fully appreciate the colder weather and windier conditions there in the north, but we still enjoyed ourselves.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2018 at 12:13 PM

'one can find beauty in any place'

I think that is true. Everyplace has it's good and bad points.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.