Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Boat registration in another name
Sailorv
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2018 at 12:32 AM
Boat registration in another name

Hi All,

My kayak-trimaran is in my dad's name, we actually have not registered it yet, been almost a year now, with California dmv. Have gotten by with no hassles of no CF numbers/tags on it and figured if we got pulled over we could say it is our big boats tender (this is true). We would prefer to keep it that way (previous owner did not have an issue, sailed her coadtally in SoCal, no state park lakes)

Now we wanna go to some local lakes, (Private amd mayne a State Park) where I worry rangers could get, well shall we say zealous about their jobs.

Plus, we are taking it south to Baja and will put it on a small trailer (16') towed by my van, trailer and van in my name and trailer in my name, and insuranced, boat is also insured, in my name, however, Dad bought the boat.

Must we register the boat for going to Baja for crossing and TIP?
Do you think I could be facing some issues with having the boat registered not in my name for A) getting my TIP and B)for crossing, either side? Dad and I have the same last name.

What do you think?
TY
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2018 at 06:09 AM

Boats under 4.5 meter about 15 feet do not need to be registered and dot require TIP in mexico, especially a kayak or sailboat with no motor, and also do not need to be registered as a tender. The trailer does need to be registered. in general dingys, kayaks and snaller sailing vessels are not required to be registered. There is also something called a mexican boat permit and thats is not required for you either.

Proof of ownership may be required, meaning some form in someones name. Trailer reg is required.
http://www.discoverbaja.com/go/temporary-boat-importation/
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2018 at 07:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
Boats under 4.5 meter about 15 feet do not need to be registered and dot require TIP in mexico, especially a kayak or sailboat with no motor, and also do not need to be registered as a tender. The trailer does need to be registered. in general dingys, kayaks and snaller sailing vessels are not required to be registered. There is also something called a mexican boat permit and thats is not required for you either.

Proof of ownership may be required, meaning some form in someones name. Trailer reg is required.
http://www.discoverbaja.com/go/temporary-boat-importation/

His other post states this is an 18 foot boat, so the original question still stands

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
Sailorv
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2018 at 02:26 PM

Thank you both.
The kayak is 18'. We may sew a cover/bag over it too and probably leave the rudder outside of the bag with a sleeve for it, maybe breaking up how large it looks?

What's the likelihood of them measuring/checking it?

PS- I'm a Chica :D
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-28-2018 at 03:28 PM

They might not care. Or they might turn you back. Do you feel lucky?

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 2-28-2018 at 04:39 PM

nobody at the border cares whether it is your boat or not. Once in a blue moon they want to see papers of towed cars or boats. It would be very unusual for them to ask about TIP.
That question might come up at the government run slips. Might.
I put a 35ft in and out of the water for a year at the government Fidepaz marina - only then, after 12 months, they asked for TIP and insurance.

Mexico has a lot of laws. You never know when they are using them.

Harald Pietschmann
Sailorv
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2018 at 10:08 PM

4x4abc, you and I think a like. I used to be so worried about dotting my eyes and crossing my t's. Then as I gotten older and seen more how things are run outside of the US, especially Cali, I have loosened up and realized it is a lot more like how you describe.

There have been TIP changes, per what I have read in Latitude 38 coverage. That is a good point, a marina could ask. Most likely we will day launch but that could change.

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
nobody at the border cares whether it is your boat or not. Once in a blue moon they want to see papers of towed cars or boats. It would be very unusual for them to ask about TIP.
That question might come up at the government run slips. Might.
I put a 35ft in and out of the water for a year at the government Fidepaz marina - only then, after 12 months, they asked for TIP and insurance.

Mexico has a lot of laws. You never know when they are using them.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-1-2018 at 07:19 AM

I entered Sonora (a no-permit vehicle zone like Baja) in January with an empty utility trailer. They DID compare the VIN on the chassis with the VIN on the registration...........but never cross-checked it with any form of personal ID, to make sure it was registered in my name.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2018 at 09:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
nobody at the border cares whether it is your boat or not. Once in a blue moon they want to see papers of towed cars or boats.

This is not true in my experience...I tow off-road trucks and occasionally boats into Mexico and get checked every time. I usually go through Mexicali; less often through San Ysidro. They routinely compare the registration paperwork against the trucks/boats VINs. That being said, you probably won't have any issues with your kayak especially since you do not have any CF numbers on it and it looks non-registered.

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2018 at 10:52 AM

sounds like Mexicali is the most troublesome crossing.
I never had any check on towed trucks and watercraft in San Ysidro or Tecate. Otay Mesa asks for documentation

Harald Pietschmann
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2018 at 11:15 AM

San Luis checks trailers and toys (VIN and registration) EVERY time.
Algodones will turn you away if you don't have a TIP for your boat (they don't issue them there). They also check VIN and papers EVERY time for toys.
Mexicali checks trailers and toys (VIN and registration) most of the time.
TIP is easy to get in Mexicali.
For what its worth....
Sailorv
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2018 at 01:06 PM

Thanks guys!
Must I have the boat registered in CA in order to get a tip?
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2018 at 03:37 PM

nope

Harald Pietschmann
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2018 at 05:42 PM

I've been asked for my boat/trailer registration EVERY time I've crossed for at least the last 10 years. It's not an issue now that I have a TIP.
Sailorv
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2018 at 10:15 PM

Alrighty, then a TIP it is, thanks.
However, if I don't have Cali registration, how likely are the US border guys going to hassle me for that? :/
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-3-2018 at 10:02 AM

They dont care.

Sailorv
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2018 at 10:58 AM

Side question, San Diego, is there anywhere these days we could boondock for a night or two? I would like to launch in/near Mission Bay for a little sail or hubs may want to rent a surfboard off Mission Beach. I have a family member in an rv park down there, where we could stay, but ya never know if she will be off her meds or not and we don't wanna be on the wrong end of that, lol!
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2018 at 11:00 AM

You asked about Reg for CA - you can register someone else vehicle such as a family member's vehicle in CA if you want to have CF and sticker for water access in formal locations.

Sailorv
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2018 at 11:40 PM

Thank you. Yeah I know it's okay using another's boat in CA in someone else's name.
What I am concerned about is if it a) it effects getting a TIP and b) if the MX or US border people will take issue?

I seem to think I read somewhere that whoever is the registered owner is suppose to apply for the TIP?

I am pushing him for us to just get it registered, that way it's in both our names...but looking at all options.

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
You asked about Reg for CA - you can register someone else vehicle such as a family member's vehicle in CA if you want to have CF and sticker for water access in formal locations.

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2018 at 11:46 PM

I've gotten a TIP for someone's boat when they were not there and there are expediters who do that all the time for people who are not present. You can apply for the TIP online before you go as well. https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.