BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Somewhere quiet
bachrachj

[*] posted on 3-3-2018 at 09:34 AM
Somewhere quiet

Hola you Baja Nomads. It's been quite a while since I've visited the site since we've been hanging out on the mainland and kind of got stuck there for a few years. Not a bad place to get stuck mind you. We arrived in La Paz yesterday afternoon (3/2/18) from Oaxaca for our first visit to Baja California del Sur. Better late than never. We're scheduled for a kayaking trip with the BajaEx folks starting out in Loreto on 3/10/18. Our question to y'all is; where would a good, small place be to hang out somewhere between these two towns? We're kind of citied out and are looking for a place to decompress. Our needs are simple. Cold beer, hot(ish) water, fresh fish and clean sheets. We are limited by our lack of a vehicle and are bussing for transport. If anyone has a sweet spot that they would be willing to share, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help and or advice.

Juan (John) y Rae from FLG

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles in my life. Most of which never happened. - Mark Twain
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2018 at 10:50 AM

My vote is for Loreto -- probably my favorite town in Baja Norte/Sur. Big enough for convenient infrastructure, but low touristy. A quiet town with spectacular scenery and a great place to kayak (there is a marine eco-park offshore, islands to visit, etc.). My dos centavos.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2018 at 01:13 PM

I agree. Love Loreto. Very small townish. Cute as a button. Great and inexpensive food.

You can take a cab from the bus station to downtown area. Hotels? For a place with a kitchen, try Coco Cabañas. A bit back from the malecon but within walking distance to restaurants and cafes.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2018 at 05:33 PM

Hola and welcome to nomad,

if you decide on loreto, may i suggest hotel angra. exceptionally clean ( about 10 years old ) with accomodating english speaking owners onsite and reasonable prices with secure, gated parking.

very quiet with lots of hot water and clean sheets, large rooms and nicely tiled showers. walking distance to restaurants and bars and the malecon. they have hot coffee in the morning with a light breakfast.

ana.carranza@hotelangra.com

http://www.hotelangra.com

you won't be disappointed !

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

bachrachj

[*] posted on 3-3-2018 at 07:32 PM

Thanks to you all. We picked up our tickets this afternoon and are about to call the coco cabañas folks. After 5 weeks in hotels and eating out every single meal, we relish the thought of having our own kitchen! Again, we appreiate your sage advice. Saludos.

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles in my life. Most of which never happened. - Mark Twain
bachrachj

[*] posted on 3-4-2018 at 12:10 PM

Went with the Angra hotel. While coco looked great, we opted for a smaller price. On the bus in CD. Constitucion for a leg stretch and un baño. Que lay via bien y gracias,

John and Rae

surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2018 at 03:58 PM

The somewhere quiet reminds me of the quietest place I have ever been in Baja or elsewhere.

I have almost always parked next to the ocean except for those times when on the road, so the lapping of waves has been a welcomed constant.

That being said, a night in desert near Catavina is something I hope to experience again. My friends and I pulled off on a dirt track before the dip and drove a mile or so off the road and parked by a group of those beautiful house sized and larger boulders for the night.

We were out of range of the trucks jake breaking and I could hear absolutely nothing besides the blood coursing through my body. This perfect silence was profound and there was no mind altering substances involved, in case anyone is wondering. It does sound like there was. Maybe a couple of beers around the campfire earlier, but the beauty of that setting was its own reward.

What a night in the desert that was! The stars, the shadows around giant boulders, and the absolute silence. What a gift. Peace love and fish tacos.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 3-4-2018 at 09:04 PM

That is a highly inspirational account of your interpretation of silence, surfhat. I do agree that Cataviña area is a treasure. The scenery and wildlife are unparalleled. And one does not have to travel very far off the road to find that Baja magic!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 12:37 PM

Nice. I may follow this trial to quiet.
It's been a while since I was in Loreto. Sleepy seaside town is fairly accurate.
La Paz isn't quiet. But mid week the beaches are nice. Does the bus run out to the Tecolate area?

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

bachrachj

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 09:25 PM

Just ran into a couple that know "Steve", the purported owner of Coco Cabañas. Prices on thier website are wrong and I was told more in line with $100 than the $179 listed. I'll go check it out and report back.

bachrachj

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 09:27 PM

Just ran into a couple that know "Steve", the purported owner of Coco Cabañas. Prices on thier website are wrong and I was told more in line with $100 than the $179 listed. I'll go check it out and report back.

gueribo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 08:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  
The somewhere quiet reminds me of the quietest place I have ever been in Baja or elsewhere.

I have almost always parked next to the ocean except for those times when on the road, so the lapping of waves has been a welcomed constant.

That being said, a night in desert near Catavina is something I hope to experience again. My friends and I pulled off on a dirt track before the dip and drove a mile or so off the road and parked by a group of those beautiful house sized and larger boulders for the night.

We were out of range of the trucks jake breaking and I could hear absolutely nothing besides the blood coursing through my body. This perfect silence was profound and there was no mind altering substances involved, in case anyone is wondering. It does sound like there was. Maybe a couple of beers around the campfire earlier, but the beauty of that setting was its own reward.

What a night in the desert that was! The stars, the shadows around giant boulders, and the absolute silence. What a gift. Peace love and fish tacos.

Beautiful post. Thanks for the beautiful imagery.
bachrachj

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 07:08 PM

$79 USD. Much more reasonable than their erroneous website listing. Booked though. Next time we're driving and camping! Abrazos.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.